Thread: Source of Beeswax in Anchorage

Default Source of Beeswax in Anchorage

I had cast some bullets the weekend prior and wanted to make a lube formula. I went to cast boolits and found what I was looking for. The formula required beeswax. I found a supplier in Anchorage close to Dimond High. His name is Dick Allen and he sells it by the 1/2 pound or pound. You can call him at 907-243-3674 if you need some.

He was a good guy to deal with and was a straight shooter.

Cheers,

Matt M

Check with the Cooperative Extension Service at the university. I bet they know every apiarist in the whole area. Most will be more than happy to give or sell you some. The "give" will come if it's raw comb, and the "sell" will come if they've reduced it themselves.

Not a problem to get your own from the comb in a 2-stop process. Drop the comb in boiling water and melt, then allow to cool. Break the hardened wax off the top and change the water. Repeat, then pour the works through cheesecloth to get out the debris, allow to cool, then break the comb off the top of the water and use.

Check with the trapping supply stores up there. A lot of beeswax used down here in trapping.

One Fairbanks option is Michael's craft supply store near College and Old Steese. They generally have very highly refined beeswax in the candle making section. It wasn't cheap, I think maybe ~$40 for a 2 pound brick, but they had it.

I bought some from this guy at the sports show a couple of years ago.
    $8.00 a pound on his website. The wax I bought was very good stuff very pure.
    I use it to flux my lead before casting jigs. It makes a good flux just be sure to let it catch fire and stir while it is burning to remove that extra bit of dross.

http://www.akhoneyman.com/Alaska_Bee...d_Candles.html
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Go back to "cast boolits" and look for a guy called randyrat. He sells for about $5 a lb. He also has anhydrous lanolin about as cheap as you can get it.

Contact someone from SABA (Southcentral Alaska Beekeepers Association)
    http://sababeekeepers.com
    I'm sure you will find a beekeeper to sell you some wax.

Check Black Elk Leather on Old Seward also I used to get beeswax there for $5-8.00 per pound.