Thread: Homer 2014 8 Person Charter?

Default Homer 2014 8 Person Charter?

Started booking our 2014 trip to the Kenai peninsula and ran into a little snag. The previous two years we've fished 6 pack charters but this year our group as grown by 2. Is there an offshore charter that will take 8 thats not in a huge slow 50 plus foot boat? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

are you looking for a 8 PK ? or just a boat that handles more than 6 people ?

8 pak would be ideal, but if it was a 10 person charter not going to be a huge deal to have two others on board. I'm more concerned with getting stuck on a slow boat that won't allow us to run out after the ling cod.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenner21 View Post
    8 pak would be ideal, but if it was a 10 person charter not going to be a huge deal to have two others on board. I'm more concerned with getting stuck on a slow boat that won't allow us to run out after the ling cod.
    I haven't been involved with Homer Chartering for several years, but, probably depending on when your trip is scheduled, most of us used to do "private parties" A 6 pack boat was guaranteed the price of 6 passengers, altho only 4 or 5 might show up. I'm sure you could arrange for a private party on some of the 36' - 60' boats, For 8 to 10 people, might be kinda pricey, but it could be done. I'd suggest you compose a list of questions that are a concern to you and do some calling (or emailing). the better quality charters are going to have the better dates booked up by the end of January...!

https://www.homeralaska.org/sites/de...014Fishing.pdf

John

I don't believe there is such a thing as an 8 pack boat.
    Most of the charter boats are only licensed to carry 6 passengers hence the term 6 pack boat. To have 8 people on board would require a larger boat with different licensing.
    As was said start calling around but you might just have to book 2-6 pack boats to get what you want.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Charterboat Operator

Not sure on Homer, but jj Smart charters has an 8 person boat out of Ninilchick, otherwise as Chris said line up 2 - 6 pack boats that would run together, fish together, provides for some good FUN wagers thruout the day if you are so inclined. we do it quite often, but we run out of Anchor Pt.

Lucky for our group it's working too our favor in Seward we just booked Pro-Fish-N-Seas big boat exclusively. If we could find a similar situation in Homer we would do the same the extra cost is negligible. Splitting up the group is always an option, I think a guys vs girls trip would be fun but doubt the ladies would go for it

Just saw out Homer Ocean Charters has a 10 person boat, anyone familiar with this outfit? If I remember correctly we saw them hang some nice Halibut last year while were sight seeing on the spit.

it is called fishing not gathering an there are good trips & bad trips , a lot of luck in it
    SID

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    it is called fishing not gathering an there are good trips & bad trips , a lot of luck in it
    SID
    ?? ?? Random Statement is all I can guess?

You, as a guy, don't really want to do a guys vs girl trip. I can tell you from experience - - the girls always win!

Default agreed...

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    You, as a guy, don't really want to do a guys vs girl trip. I can tell you from experience - - the girls always win!
    they'd crush you for sure! I took 2 butt charters this summer, one with each of my 2 daughters. Got my "butt" kicked both times!
    On the plus side, ProFishNSea is a great outfit, although I've never been on thier bigger boat. Sounds like a great time

Really looking forward to fishing with Pro-Fish-N-Sea, Cracker Jack was already booked on their larger boat. Being sisters companies it's no surprise both come highly recommended and the Pursuit is a nice looking boat as well. I've found a couple of 8-10 person charters that book from the Homer spit and a few of the same boats are several different websites. Really can't find any more information about the boats or captains though will probably just picking one and hope its the right one. I like Captains who take their jobs seriously but at the same time make it a fun trip. Nothing worse than spending the money to get some short tempered Captain who makes everyone uncomfortable.

If anyone has fished the Sea Hawk out of homer it'd be great to know what type of experience you had. Thanks again for all of the replies.

You can't go wrong with Steve on the Pursuit. Quality boat, quality gear, and a great captain. Professional and fun to fish with. And you're going to catch plenty of fish...and probably some quality ones of those, too.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

PM me. I will fill you in.