Thread: 14 HP Copperhead...Final Voyage

Default 14 HP Copperhead...Final Voyage

Sad...very sad. Able to take a day off work and made it 65K upstream. Starting to be late rut and I suffered from roundthebenditus. I was way to happy driving and exploring and didn't spend enough time hunting or waiting for the results of my calls. Really fun to take this unit where I wouldn't dream of trying with the old Honda. I bought the 14Hp because I think there might be a lighter Freighter in the future for me....even if I need to make it myself. For the HB I'd love to try 18HP or 23HP. With 680 pounds aboard I can make 20KPH on a lake and on this last fairly quick river system I'd make 13KPH against the stream and 27KPH with the stream. Against the stream we used about 3-4X the gas as I do with the stream. On idle I go 2kph against the stream and 13KPH with the stream...on average. That 2KPH against the stream is ideal for ferrying left or right to find the deep channel which is not always where it should be. Would more power boost our speeds much on a semi-displacement hull? Not sure...love to know. I won't buy another but 18HP might be a good compromise for new purchasers.

Anyway did a bit of ice breaking on the back channels. I think it's time to put my rig away for the winter. Most fun I have had in a long time! I think I am making the transition from pleasure boater to Apprentice River Man. I learned more this year than in any previous 5. The great functioning Copperhead encouraged me to push an envelope I have never pushed before. Great rig!

At dusk...long exposure. The gravel bars with small fat rocks are great camping spots. This one had a lot of moose tracks but we made too much noise getting up. Bringing two kids leads to 4X the noise of 1, even with a fairly strict dad!

A great 3 man tent....strong, warm, dry a bit heavy at 23 pounds but a real rock. No longer made; the Arctic Oven Pup is great gear. Kerosene 111 gets it up to 100F in no time. You know it's cold when the tent fly still has frost on it from the night before! The Vapex inner really transfers moisture and this tent has always been bone dry inside. If you see a used one for sale..buy it!

greg,
    I hear yah about those fast chutes. The white-knuckle/full throttle 2 mph run. Never knew 2 mph could be so exhilarating huh?

Dang you had me worried you wrecked it
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Dang you had me worried you wrecked it
    No worries....As Mainer said the 2MPH chutes are pretty scary...probably never get video of it as we are all pretty busy. here is video of the speed test in a 5-6KPH (3-4MPH) current.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHVn8...ature=youtu.be

North, as always, nice pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    North, as always, nice pics.
    Thanks.. Camera focus is broken but we do what we can.

Greg, 12.5 mph with 680 lbs aboard on flat water is pretty good. running 8mph against the current aint to bad either. I honestly feel that motor provides plenty of power, speed, ect.

Do you have any gps speeds to compare that to your 20 hp honda? Do check your throttle cable, sometimes, full throttle adjustment can be remedied a bit, while not messing with idle. It's just a little screw head, holding the black part of the cable. pull out the black cable and check idle before tightening down the set-screw.

The 20HP Honda is a bit faster. 23-25KPH on flat water, maybe tested with less of a load though.. (as opposed to 20KPH with the CH) Big problem with me is the job limiting my river hours. I can't easily get out of the population bubble with the time available to me. Some of these jet boaters are talented!

If I could take 7-10 days off I'd be laughing. However, I learned a lot about some potential spots and will waste less time next year. If I get two more inches in one river next year I'll have quite a trip too, in a river inaccessible to jet boaters as it's too narrow-shallow for them. Unfortunately this year it was too shallow for me too.

I am very happy with the 14HP. It will be pried out of my cold dead hands. It runs very smooth and is dead reliable and fuel efficient. It has enough power. I'd still love to see what a few more HP would do. Likely not much. There is no doubt a law of diminishing returns at work..but would love to test it out.