Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Explain this sockeye?!?!

Default Explain this sockeye?!?!

So we tried to fish the feeder kings one more time. We are pretty clueless, but we are trying! Sunday we head out towards Pt Pogi. Got a few hits but can't solidly hook anything up. Moved to Yukon Island on the sheltered side. It was nearly impossible keeping the pollock off the line. TONS of pollock TONS of bait fish. In fact we saw humpback whales breaching the surface through schools of bait fish. Uber cool.

We managed two kings and two ping pong paddle halibut for four rods. Less than stellar. BUT we pick up a sockeye trolling in the saltwater. Not sure if it hit the herring or the plain hooks after the herring got stripped. We dragged it in on a bait check so it wasn't going to make it released. We cut it open and the meat looked ok and if anything, the milt looked immature. My first saltwater sockeye...my latest edible sockeye.

So what was this fish doing? Where was it going?

IMAGE_66.jpg
    IMAGE_67.jpg

two more close ups of tail and meat.

IMAGE_68.jpgIMAGE_69.jpg

Dunno what's going on, other than the ocean seemed pretty weird this year. About 10 days ago we picked up two nice bright reds in a lake while fly fishing for silvers. Dime bright with loose scales and sea lice. Both females, and the eggs were not loose yet. In over 40 years of silver fly fishing up here, never seen such a thing.

Kinda looks like a chum with that large eye pupil...was it extra slimy?
    "Grin and Bear It"

It is not a politician

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    ...was it extra slimy?

With that much color and nose developed, I'd expect to see the dark bars on the side too, if it was a chum. The caudal peduncle (smallest part in front of the tail) is too thick for a chum, too. The fork in the tail doesn't look deep enough, either.

Sure...the pupil must look enlarged from getting bonked on the head.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Sure...the pupil must look enlarged from getting bonked on the head.
    Looks like a really late red. He's starting to color up a bit. And yes, the pupil is dilated from getting bonked.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Kinda looks like a chum with that large eye pupil...was it extra slimy?
    No, not slimy at all. And I don't recall bonking it since it had been drug through the water a bit. We were getting pollock hits immediately on stacked downriggers so we didn't pull everything up immediately if we thought a pollock was on one of the lines. Yah we were lazy but after what seemed like the 100th pollock, we figured better to keep the baits working. We also had problems with birds hitting our baits.

Just very odd....

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com
    My personal pages...I'm not a guide.

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    ....Just very odd....
    Yes, very strange indeed.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Weird. Well, enjoy the fresh sockeye fillets in mid October! Nice.

Yes, unusual to see a fairly bright saltwater red this late in the season. Tough to say where the fish was headed by just looking at it. Know for a fact that the Kenai and Kasilof rivers receive a trickle of fresh reds well into October most years and there are a couple of streams in Turnagain Arm where I have caught quite a few chromers all the way up to November so it is possible your fish was headed to one of those areas. Even so, the appearance of late autumn sockeye, in particular, is not that rare in Southcentral rivers and streams and they may show up in the strangest places, including drainages that do not have established spawning populations. In any case, great score catching that fish! Quite a feat considering the species, location, and timing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    ... I don't recall bonking it since it had been drug through the water a bit....
    Yeah, I probably mis-spoke. Bottom line is that when fish die, their eyes dilate like that. The pupil on a live fish has some angular aspects to the pupil. Dead fish have large, round pupils.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I don't catch a whole lot of sockeye.. but you sure that's a pure sockeye?

I caught a Chumpy (cross between a chum and a pink) this year. Pretty cool looking. 2nd one I've caught in 10 years.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post

I caught a Chumpy (cross between a chum and a pink) this year. Pretty cool looking. 2nd one I've caught in 10 years.
    That sounds pretty interesting...do you have a pic of it?

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post

Maybe it's a Chumpeye...cross between a chum and a sockeye.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Why not socadoodle?

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    That sounds pretty interesting...do you have a pic of it?
    No, I didn't grab one. They are pretty cool to look at though. The first one I saw was in 2005. I was crewing on a power troller with a very experienced fisherman. He'd said he had seen a handful in his long career.

Looks like a sockeye to me. When I was on kodiak we would catch reds that looked like that in october and early november.
    Some places like Chignik and Karluk have a part of their red run that come in really late.
    I don't know where the late runs of reds are in cook inlet. The late fish seem a lot more aggressive so I could see it hitting a herring.

There is the terminal sockeye fishery in Tutka bay, might be a late fish who has been hanging around the area since there is no where for him to go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast