Thread: Koktuli for Kings

Default Koktuli for Kings

Hello,
    We are planning a float trip for Kings at the beginning of July 2014. Since we had a beautiful coho fluattrip on the Koktuli we are wondering if the king fishing is also excellent on this river.
    Is there anyone who floated this river at the beginning of July?
    Thank you in advance.

Markus

I've done Koktuli 3 times over the years, twice for Kings, once for Coho. The Coho trip was far and away better, in all aspects. On both King trips (July timeframe), no Kings in any numbers where present until the very lower reaches, and the best fishing was at the confluence of Stuyahok with the Mulchatna.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Default Koktuli

Thank you AlaskaHippie,
    This is distict. So I have to find another river. What about the Stuyahok? I floated this river also during Coho tie. Nice too!

Markus

I've not done the Stuyahok for Kings, tho' I know folks who have, with varying degrees of success, but I've never heard rave reviews of it in regards to King Fishing.

We seldom target Kings these days, for a few reasons, but if I where to look at a King specific float, I would look into the Lower Alagnak (from Estrada's to the Barge), the Mid to Lower Togiak, or possibly the Goodnews.

I realize none of those offer the same remote feel as the Koktuli, but then again the Koktuli these days resembles a heliport with all of the Pebble Traffic overhead. Maybe putting in on the Upper Mulchatna and focusing your fishing on confluences would be an option worth considering.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.

Default Thanks!

Thank you. We will change plans due to this information!

Best regards from Germany Markus

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    I've not done the Stuyahok for Kings, tho' I know folks who have, with varying degrees of success, but I've never heard rave reviews of it in regards to King Fishing.

We seldom target Kings these days, for a few reasons, but if I where to look at a King specific float, I would look into the Lower Alagnak (from Estrada's to the Barge), the Mid to Lower Togiak, or possibly the Goodnews.

I realize none of those offer the same remote feel as the Koktuli, but then again the Koktuli these days resembles a heliport with all of the Pebble Traffic overhead. Maybe putting in on the Upper Mulchatna and focusing your fishing on confluences would be an option worth considering.
    Naknek and Kvichak also have good king fishing most years. But most places in Bristol Bay have worth while fishing for kings.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    Naknek and Kvichak also have good king fishing most years. But most places in Bristol Bay have worth while fishing for kings.

Absolutely, tho' I wouldn't quite consider them remote float trip material, imho.

Yeah I agree not remote in the least, most king fishing occurs in lower portions of the rivers which are pretty accessible and congested by boats and float planes.

Default Remote float

We are now considering Kanektok or Arolik.

I wouldn't include the Kvichak on the King Salmon trip. Hardly any kings on this river. I wish we had a king run, it would make my season much more appealing. Great sockeye but no kings to speak of. Naknek, Alagnak or the Nushigak for Kings. For a float trip the Alagnak or Branch River would be the best approach like stated above but will not be alone.

George