Thread: Need FFg Black Powder

Question Need FFg Black Powder

Just passed my online course and field day is Saturday......problem is, no FFg powder....anyone that can help out, thanks in advance.

Also.
    , what is involved on the field day ? I have an old TC Renagade .54 Cal that is pretty accurate with a nice peep sight on it. The course recommends warm soapy water to clean, but I've always used bore butter. Never had to take a course like this.

Never heard of using Bore Butter for cleaning. Water is about the best solvent around for black powder residue, with a little soap added to help cut any grease from patch lubes. Careful about how warm it is. Hot water causes "flash" rust, which forms almost instantly on bare steel. I like room temp water with very little soap in it.

Your gun should do just fine on the field course. The accuracy requirements are so liberal, they approach lax- 6" group for 3 shots at 50 yards fired from any position, including rested or prone. Try as many times as you want. I shot mine offhand with their guns and my usual hunting load just cuzz and still got my usual accuracy- (Lyman GPR 54) and 2" group. The field shooting requirement is a good one in my book, especially considering how many people in the class had never handled a muzzleloader before.

Last time I bought black in Anchorage I got it from Great Northern Guns. Dunno about current availability, but a call should suffice. Dunno about any sources on the KP, but that doesn't mean there aren't any.

I just bought pyrodex at Sportsmans here in Soldotna the other day. They had a good selection of both loose powder and the pellets

Sent while hiding from the boss

actually its 5 shots 4 within an 8" group at 50. Or 5 shots 4" group 4 shots at 25.

I think the water/alcohol or whatever you so choose is for wiping between shots. They provide alcohol up here. I use my own concoction (that was passed to me).

The idea is the more fouling, the worse your accuracy. The principle is one of dutch Schulz's, wiping between shots to keep a consistent foul in the barrel. Google him you'll find his info. his packet is worth it! Its more for PRB shooters over all and if you're not shooting prbs, you can find his wiping concoction online.

Sportsmans in Soldotna has a ton of it now, but my Field Day got pushed back to November. No problem, still love shooting my old 54 cal....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free