Thread: Alaskan down in Yellowstone

Default Alaskan down in Yellowstone

Another Alaskan pilot down. My cabin next door neighbor was flying from Beluga to Boise in his Cherokee 180. They went down in the park, apparently.

I haven't heard any more details than his son and him are banged up, but alive. Jim might have a couple of broken ribs. It happened right after a refueling stop in Cody.

How do you guys check incidents out? Is there a website for the NTSB reports? Are they even working?
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Quote Originally Posted by bullbuster View Post
    Another Alaskan pilot down. My cabin next door neighbor was flying from Beluga to Boise in his Cherokee 180. They went down in the park, apparently.

I haven't heard any more details than his son and him are banged up, but alive. Jim might have a couple of broken ribs. It happened right after a refueling stop in Cody.

How do you guys check incidents out? Is there a website for the NTSB reports? Are they even working?

---->LINK<----
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Wow, what a great link. I spent some time there. A lot. Thanks.

I think I found the report for the wreck that took my big brothers life back in '85. (I'd be a pilot now if he had lived. He had bought some property near Copper Center and was setting up a lodge. The plane he died in was the second he was ferrying up for the operation. Life takes a lot of turns)

Still haven't spoke to Jim, but I hear that he made a great landing in the trees. He was at a high altitude when it got quiet. Tore one wing off, but no fire. Search planes flying over, but unable to contact them. He is still traveling via rental car. Alive and well.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Good news among the bad . . .

Not quite the same but when I ran over a great big rock this summer with the boat 20 miles out of the Seward boat harbor, the only thing I could think about was how am I going to get the other three family and close friends home safetly. Should we grab the raft and EPRIB and abandon ship or should we try and limp bsck to the harbor? Situational awareness points the way, this guy did a good job of landing in the trees, he understood the situation and chose the best most survivable option. Now and then I watch an old movie called "The Right Stuff" ....

Quote Originally Posted by ocnfish View Post
    Not quite the same but when I ran over a great big rock this summer with the boat 20 miles out of the Seward boat harbor, the only thing I could think about was how am I going to get the other three family and close friends home safetly. Should we grab the raft and EPRIB and abandon ship or should we try and limp bsck to the harbor? Situational awareness points the way, this guy did a good job of landing in the trees, he understood the situation and chose the best most survivable option. Now and then I watch an old movie called "The Right Stuff" ....

Ah, "The Right Stuff". Another QB pilot ...................