Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bow Certification "Online" Field day distances

Default Bow Certification "Online" Field day distances

Got my field day test coming up. Don't know if it makes any difference, but I took the online course.

What distances are involved? I read all the F&G verbiage, but still not sure how far I have to set my farthest pin.

Thanks.

My apologies. Wrong forum. Posting this over in bow hunting. Mods please delete.

From what I remember it was 30 yards

I took it with my recurve so not sure what to do about your pins, but I will say that all of the shots for me were within my comfortable shooting range, and to me 30 yards is about my cutoff for where I feel comfortable and confident. I will take a 40 yard shot on occasion but it is a little out of my comfort zone. It was quite awhile ago when I took the course, but from what I can recall it was like 4 or 5 different targets. All of them at unknown ranges and YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO USE A RANGEFINDER so leave it at home. You have to shoot one shot standing and one shot on your knees at each target I believe. I believe you can use binoculars. I think you can only miss like 2 or 3 shots out of 8 or 10. Your shots have to be in the kill zone for them to count. If you are shooting a quartering away shot, the range instructor will check to see if the angle of your shot would allow for an exit wound through the vitals. If so, then you should be okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    I took it with my recurve so not sure what to do about your pins, but I will say that all of the shots for me were within my comfortable shooting range, and to me 30 yards is about my cutoff for where I feel comfortable and confident. I will take a 40 yard shot on occasion but it is a little out of my comfort zone. It was quite awhile ago when I took the course, but from what I can recall it was like 4 or 5 different targets. All of them at unknown ranges and YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO USE A RANGEFINDER so leave it at home. You have to shoot one shot standing and one shot on your knees at each target I believe. I believe you can use binoculars. I think you can only miss like 2 or 3 shots out of 8 or 10. Your shots have to be in the kill zone for them to count. If you are shooting a quartering away shot, the range instructor will check to see if the angle of your shot would allow for an exit wound through the vitals. If so, then you should be okay.
    Correction, you CAN use a rangefinder according to the ADF&G webpage. Here is a link to the description of the field test: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ered.fdbowreqs

Yes can use one but don't find yourself muttering "28 yards" out loud. Those that do not bring one must not hear any yardage talk from those that did.

It's been over ten years since my field test, but what I recall is that all the shots were well within my comfort range, and I was a neophyte shooter then. Do keep an eye out for bushes and branches, I had one deflect an arrow out of the kill zone. Practice judging distance to trees. Gauge it within a few yards and you're golden.

They won't exceed 30 yards and you can use a range finder.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

When I did mine the closest was 15 and the furthest was 28.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I took mine back in august two targets were between 20-25 (different angles and different distances) one was at 12 and one was at 28. This was in Fairbanks. The hard part is if you haven't shot at 3d targets before, I missed the first one twice (I got to take the test over) but figured it out and went 8-8 all heart shots after that. (Also waiting in line to shoot can get the nerves going at the start). Good luck!

Thumbs up

I had one that was a tree stand simulation or elevated shot. That threw me off but I was perfect up to then and quickly readjusted for the next shot. Don't watch the person shooting infront of you. It tends to throw your game off. You can pick up on thier mistakes and quickly find yourself doing the same thing.
    Good luck and practice practice practice.
    Steve
    Last edited by Steve_O; 10-14-2013 at 11:34. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Correction, you CAN use a rangefinder according to the ADF&G webpage. Here is a link to the description of the field test: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ered.fdbowreqs
    Sorry about that. Now that you mention it I seem to recall some people had them and others did not. I must have been one of the unlucky ones without one. Doesn't really matter much to me anyways. I shoot instinctive so a rangefinder doesn't really help me for archery. I use a rangefinder when I am gun hunting though.

It depends but 30 or so tops. You can use a range finder but can't borrow one at the shoot

I am an IBEP instructor, let me clear some things up for you; Yes you may use a rangefinder, you MAY NOT share distances with other participants, you MAY NOT share your rangefinder with other participants. You will have one elevated shot to simulate a downhill or treestand shot. It will be relatively close. You will have 4-5 more targets at different ranges on animals like a goat, a few deer, a caribou, and a Dall sheep. Depending on what part of the state you take your course in will depend on your farthest shot. In Fairbanks we try not to pass the 30 yard marker, but in the Mat-Su valley we have done 36 before. You may or may not encounter different shot angles as well, you may have all broadside shots, and you may have a mixture of broadside and quartering away shots. You may also encounter a few shots with wide open shooting lanes, and you may encounter shooting lanes with some low brush or in tight quarters with trees and vegetation. If you have any questions just PM me.

In Western Washington, nobody has ever flunked the field day. They might recycle you until your shots find their mark, but I would not worry about it. I watched some horrendous shooters and hunters pass with no problem.

Practice some shots on your knees (you have to shoot like that) also try some from elevation. I went to south cushman and shot from the dike (that helped a bunch, I saw several people miss on the elevated shot)

if you are just now setting pins...
    just set one for 25 yards..
    you can adjust well enough from there to qualify, then after you got your cert, sight in your additional pins.
    decide on a cut-off "no-shoot" distance for yuo- if any of the targets are "further, or riskier" than you are comfortable with, tell the grader up front.
    He "MAY" let you shoot a alternate target. Just remember it he's choice. The yardage is required... but the testers are hunters also.

When I qualified, there was only one range finder in the group. and he shot a recurve with NO sights.

Look at the targets from as many angles as possible, I messed up on a half-sized target... thinking it was further away.

good luck,
    let us know how you did,
    as Red Green saya, "we're pulling for ya"

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by AKRecurveAssassin View Post
    I am an IBEP instructor, let me clear some things up for you; Yes you may use a rangefinder, you MAY NOT share distances with other participants, you MAY NOT share your rangefinder with other participants. You will have one elevated shot to simulate a downhill or treestand shot. It will be relatively close. You will have 4-5 more targets at different ranges on animals like a goat, a few deer, a caribou, and a Dall sheep. Depending on what part of the state you take your course in will depend on your farthest shot. In Fairbanks we try not to pass the 30 yard marker, but in the Mat-Su valley we have done 36 before. You may or may not encounter different shot angles as well, you may have all broadside shots, and you may have a mixture of broadside and quartering away shots. You may also encounter a few shots with wide open shooting lanes, and you may encounter shooting lanes with some low brush or in tight quarters with trees and vegetation. If you have any questions just PM me.
    This is the sole reason I don't archery hunt in Alaska right here. don't get me wrong, I enjoy archery, but I shoot a bare recurve with only a shelf for the arrow and no sights. I do pretty good at 15-20 yds and I know that's my limit. I'm glad to see others have passed with a recurve, but 30 yds is a good shot for a 30-30, not a recurve bow. That test is designed for people with high tech bows with pulleys and fiber optic sights, not for traditionalists.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    This is the sole reason I don't archery hunt in Alaska right here. don't get me wrong, I enjoy archery, but I shoot a bare recurve with only a shelf for the arrow and no sights. I do pretty good at 15-20 yds and I know that's my limit. I'm glad to see others have passed with a recurve, but 30 yds is a good shot for a 30-30, not a recurve bow. That test is designed for people with high tech bows with pulleys and fiber optic sights, not for traditionalists.
    Valid point, but there is nothing stopping you from taking a bow on many registration hunts and harvest tickets. My moose was smack dab in the middle of rifle country.

I took it at Rabbit Creek this spring and they ranged from 15 to 28 yards or so if I recall; four targets, two shots at each one and you have to land 5 out of 8 shots to pass... I barely got 5 and thanked my lucky stars and went home and practiced more!

FL2AK-OLDTOWN..... you have got to be seriously joking when you say
    "That test is designed for people with high tech bows with pulleys and fiber optic sights, not for traditionalists."
    you honestly think that there are not other people out there that use the same basic setup as you?? If you have problems shooting past 20 yards, then its sounds like a personal problem to me, practice out farther maybe.... I shoot a recurve as well, no sights, no pins, no nothing, pure instinctive shooting, and I can shoot proficiently past the 20 yard mark. Infact, I shoot and practice out to 40 yards, just so that i can do it if the need ever arises.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast