Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Goat retrieval, need help experienced climber

Default Goat retrieval, need help experienced climber

I went on a solo goat hunt Friday. I'd been scouting for months and had this hunt planned very well. I left my jeep at 8am and fired a shot into a goat at 1030 am. Everything was going really well until my goat decided its last life moments were to be spent BASE jumping. Anyhow, I rappelled down about 700 feet of steep scree to the bottom of a steep canyon. Rappelled down a waterfall, and I suspect my goat is about 150 yards up from the creek. I need help from somebody with advanced climbing experience. I shouldn't have gone on this hunt alone I wasn't sure I was going to make it out of that canyon Friday night. Anyway... I want to make another attempt at it after this storm passes. Maybe Thursday. Tried yesterday but couldn't reach the summit due to weather. Need to know how to run a belay, rock pro and have harness / ATC, ect

I forgot to add we would be leaving from Palmer. I'm not going to discuss details on open forum, only to whoever is willing to help.

Good luck! That's a tough situation.

So you rapped down 700 ft and still got out? I'm interested to hear more about the climb and the routes. You know what it looked like. What level of climbing are we talking about? I'm rusty but have gear. My best climbs have been 5.9-5.10, but I wouldn't lead climb that hard even if I wasn't rusty.

The rap down is on a scree slide at about 70 degrees slope. The climb out sucks if you don't leave a rope attached (which I didn't)... I cleaned the route as I went down because I wound up needing the rope to go down a waterfall. I don't know how to rate a climb but the last portion in question is mixed rock/extreme alpine. I wouldn't attempt it without placing protection with a belay. Considering bolting hangers. So the basic layout is a creek in the bottom of a canyon, vertical walls both sides. The goat is in a crack in the canyon walls, think of a T with the top of the T being the bottom of the canyon with the creek and the vertical portion being the crack the goat is stuck in. From the creek it's about 150 yards. I can't see the goat but I suspect he's up there because there is hair all over the place.. It IS possible he could have fallen all the way into the creek (at which point he would be long gone). I've got (2) 60m ropes and would need an additional rope (1 on scree field, 1 on waterfall and one to get to goat). The climb just to get to the canyon is fairly interesting and takes about 2 hours and I'd call it moderate difficulty alpine climbing (I'm not a very experienced climber that's just what I'd call it). Before even dropping down the scree field I want to rap off the edge near where he fell to get a better look in the canyon. If I can't see him from there then he went into the creek, and there isn't much sense in going down at that point. The creek is loaded with waterfalls and nasty hydraulic features.

Actually, looking at a rating scale I'd call it a 5.6

I would inform F&G about your problem to CYA
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Its a registration hunt and considered this animal "harvested" anyway, and tagged it as such. Not to be rude.. But not looking for advice, just help.

Sent message.

Didnt get one my cell is 538 8339, shoot me a text

pm sent

somebody has to be up for adventure with rope experience?

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Marine View Post
    Its a registration hunt and considered this animal "harvested" anyway, and tagged it as such. Not to be rude.. But not looking for advice, just help.
    Not to be rude, but Will has a valid and important point, and I believe he is being "helpful". Even though you consider yourself "tagged out", if you fail to salvage your goat, you can be charged with wanton waste, even if you have made an effort. Best to consult F&G upfront and let them know the situation. JMO.

Good on you for keeping after it and I hope you find a way to recover it.

Sorry to hear about your predicament. I have to ask, if you find the goat, do you plan on "hoisting" or "packing" the hide and meat up this slope with ropes and pulleys? Given your description, it sounds nasty just getting there let alone hauling out 200 lbs (?) of goat. Anyway, good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    Not to be rude, but Will has a valid and important point, and I believe he is being "helpful". Even though you consider yourself "tagged out", if you fail to salvage your goat, you can be charged with wanton waste, even if you have made an effort. Best to consult F&G upfront and let them know the situation. JMO.

Solid advice,, a few years ago a hunter was charged with wanton waste for a dead goat that was not recovered after one of the hunting party was injured and they left the goat the save the other hunter.

Was near Portage if I remember right.

Hope you find your goat.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Best of luck. Not to be an ass, but if it is there that long, I would guess hide or meat will not be salvageable. But you making the effort to retrieve it no matter what is commendable. I've known people that just walked away from these situations.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Solid advice,, a few years ago a hunter was charged with wanton waste for a dead goat that was not recovered after one of the hunting party was injured and they left the goat the save the other hunter.

Was near Portage if I remember right.

Hope you find your goat.
    That was a friend of mine. Never had a game violation in his life (and he's an older guy with the highest ethics). The trooper was over-zealous. A rescue situation was involved and my friend's hunting partner took a tumble off the mountain, broke a leg and ended up stranded out there all night. My friend would have won the case, but he didn't have enough $$ for an attorney, so he plead out and paid a $300 fine. The worst of it was that he did everything possible, and now he has a "violation" on his record. It was a really raw deal.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post

I'll disagree. Whether you notched your tag or not.....you can still make every effort to find the animal you assume is dead. However, as others have pointed out, once you notch the tag your responsible for salvaging the required parts. Having the animal in a place that is hard to get to is irrelevant to the law.
    Have you been called or visited by the troopers yet?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

What are you disagreeing with?

Are you saying, that if I shoot an animal, and dont want to salvage it, I'm good as long as I dont notch my tag?

Apologies to AK Marine for the hijack.

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    I'll disagree. Whether you notched your tag or not.....you can still make every effort to find the animal you assume is dead. However, as others have pointed out, once you notch the tag your responsible for salvaging the required parts. Having the animal in a place that is hard to get to is irrelevant to the law.
    Have you been called or visited by the troopers yet?

This would be the last place i would look for advice to many keyboard brown shirts! I hope you find someone, i would call the boys nwtc the 1SG is hunter. They will be your best hope majority of those boys looking for a challenge... Oh and they know what they are doing...

I already stopped by fish and game and spoke with them. They were appreciative of me at least telling them what happened and reporting the kill. So far, I've made 3 attempts at it and they were all cancelled during the trip due to conditions that would put ones self at risk of death or serious physical injury. Not to say I've given up on this, its still an ongoing thing, however I don't need to explain myself to people that haven't seen the problem. If you want to help, then message me, if not, then I'm really not interested in the feedback. Thanks though.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast