Thread: Savage 110 firing pin problem

Default Savage 110 firing pin problem

Have owned at least 4 different 110s over the years. I'm left handed. A couple I didn't own very long, but the other 2 have both had this same problem at times.
    Because of the upcoming Bison hunt, I had to get out my old 110 in 30-06. Hoping to use the same ammo in it and the kids 7400 in 30-06 as well. Last week at the range, the 110 would not fire some of the Rem core lokt 220 rounds I put in it. Some it did fire. I have adjusted the pin before, tho maybe not on this gun. This one worked fine a few years ago. Haven't used it much as I like the savage 11 I have in 300 wsm better.
    Anyway, adjusted the pin to protude a tad farther. Today at the range, with handloads, none would fire. I successfully fired those that did not fire in the 110 in the 7400.
    I'm at a loss. I think the spring tension and the pin protrusion can both be adjusted but am not sure what to do since my last adjustment apparently made things WORSE!!
    Here is a pic of the disassembled pin:

Anyone got any suggestions?
    Thanks.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I'd talk to Andy about it, myself, but then you've got Gunbugs up your way, who could give you the issues, I'm sure.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Disassemble and adjust pin parturition nut to get .045Ē to .050Ē parturition out the bolt nose. Donít get carried away .050Ē parturition is plenty.

Put the spring back on and compress it to 2.600Ē long. Put it all together and test it, I snap primed cases but a pencil is a fairly good low-tec test.

BE POSATIVE ITíS EMPTY OF AMMO
    then drop a new pencil eraser end first down into the bore to the bolt face, hold almost level and pull trigger, your pencil should exit the bore.

If pencil doesnít come out you may have something dragging on the firing pin, weak spring, etc. If it does come out but still misfires on you Iíd suspect excess head space, not hard to fix in a 110 if you have the tools. If the above proper reassembly of the pin doesnít fix it Doug (Gunbugs) should be able to fix ya right up for you.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Just out of curiosity, regarding the possibility of a weak spring.

Can the fact that a BA rifle sits around cocked, and/or in this case a Savage 110, could the spring weaken from being compressed?

When I close the bolt on an empty chamber in my BA rifles, I always hold the trigger down so the gun is uncocked. For one thing, this tells me that the chamber is empty, however this results in the firing pin spring being Uncompressed.

I don't know if this is ever an issue, and it is not purely the reason I do it, however, I wonder if there is such a benefit.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Disassemble and adjust pin parturition nut to get .045Ē to .050Ē parturition out the bolt nose. Donít get carried away .050Ē parturition is plenty.

Put the spring back on and compress it to 2.600Ē long. Put it all together and test it, I snap primed cases but a pencil is a fairly good low-tec test.

BE POSATIVE ITíS EMPTY OF AMMO
    then drop a new pencil eraser end first down into the bore to the bolt face, hold almost level and pull trigger, your pencil should exit the bore.

Thanks Andy. Made suggested changes. Pencil trick works. Will get to the range soon to test it.
    I do the same thing Smitty............but the spring is still partially compressed even when uncocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Just out of curiosity, regarding the possibility of a weak spring.

Can the fact that a BA rifle sits around cocked, and/or in this case a Savage 110, could the spring weaken from being compressed?

When I close the bolt on an empty chamber in my BA rifles, I always hold the trigger down so the gun is uncocked. For one thing, this tells me that the chamber is empty, however this results in the firing pin spring being Uncompressed.

I don't know if this is ever an issue, and it is not purely the reason I do it, however, I wonder if there is such a benefit.

Smitty of the North
    Yup springs held in tension get weaker over time. Todayís steels are far better than 100 years ago and will last much longer but itís always best to de-calk if you can. Even de-calked the springs are still under pre-load tension and weaken over time.

I read somewhere this has been tested on some modern 1911s, after 20 years of being always calked-n-locked the hammer springs were about 20% weaker but still strong enough to swing the hammer. Now a bolt action is a little more dependant on the power in the spring than something with a hammer, they are moving less mass and have less room to gain momentum before the strike.

Always wise to safely de-calk them before storage. I say safely because my crazy uncle. We all have a crazy uncle donít we? If you donít have a crazy uncle than could be you are the crazy uncle. ANYWAY, he was de-calking guns after a dove hunti and blasted a big hole in his gun room concrete floor . . . blew off the toe of his boot . . . guess a 12 gage in a little cement block room is LOUD cuz he still donít hear right. At any rate it's best to not de-calk loaded guns indoors.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Range time was a bust. Pin won't hit well enough to fire primer. I only had some handloads with me and the primers were probably seated a little deeper than necessary. How hard id it to get a new spring?
    Probably will put this on the back burner. Was going to use the rifle for the kids bison hunt. Got the dies for my 300 wsm at a gun show yesterday (didn't see gunbugs there) and now have a useable 200 gr. load for the 300.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/474...g-action-32-lb
    Order it today and ship Priority Mail and you'll have it by end of week. Itís a good thing to put in even if the spring isnít the trouble yet. Also never hearts to have an extra around.

If its ejecting a pencil and still not firing it could indicate head space. Headspace a little long means the case has room to move away from the bolt and absorb the force of the pin strike. Easy to check with a go-gage and simple to fix on a Savage.

Without a go-gage you can test by making up some re-primed fired cases from that rifle, donít resize then just knock out the primer and re-prime. These are fire formed to the rifles head space so canít move away from the bolt. If they light and resized primed cases donít light you have a head space issue. To fix it youíd need a Savage wrench, barrel vice or action wrench, and a go-gage . . . Or a trip to someone that has them.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Swing by when you get a chance. We'll take a look.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    Swing by when you get a chance. We'll take a look.
    Thanks Doug,
    now that I have the dies for the short mag I'll be loading for it with the 200 gr. noslers I am using in the kids gun. But I do want to get this fixed before too long.

Thanks Andy:

That's good to know.

Maybe that Savage Nut loosened up on martentrappers gun.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

I donít think the nut would loosen up. Iím thinking more like maybe it was set up a bit loose and ran fine when everything was new but now everything ainít new anymore.

Dang hard to speculate what is truly going on with an intermittent FTF issue over the computer. Heck of a lot easer hands on where I can start ruling things out right quick and get to the ah-ha part.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona