Thread: Garmin 740s discontinued

Default Garmin 740s discontinued

I had been watching the deals lately on the 740s. I finally made the decision to purchase but when I went into West Marine they told me the reason they had had them discounted was that Garmin has discontinued the 740s and it is to be phased out with the 741xs with CHIRP.
    Does anyone have any experience with the 741xs?

Well, the packaging for the bundled version with the 18HDR is quite nice. Seems pretty easy to install though I'll let you know this week if it is a PITA.

Quote Originally Posted by IceKing02 View Post
    Well, the packaging for the bundled version with the 18HDR is quite nice. Seems pretty easy to install though I'll let you know this week if it is a PITA.
    Thanks! Anxious to hear how it goes.

Ice King
    Clear out your PM's please.
    BK

6pack, I went with the 740s and yep West said they had 4 in stock but really had none on hand so they sent me to Accupoint for the unit itself but sold me the wrong transducer. Grrrrrrrrr. Also got the updated glonass (?) antenna from Accupoint which West didn't know anything about.
    Back to the unit; I did some online research and couldn't find any gripes about the 740s but did find some regarding the 70s which I also considered.
    Internal antenna works great although I have only one trip on it; have the external antenna on the boat in the box and ready or mount just in case.
    Also got your extra g2 card.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    Back to the unit; I did some online research and couldn't find any gripes about the 740s but did find some regarding the 70s which I also considered.

Also got your extra g2 card.

I have done extensive research (online) on the 740s and everyone seems to be very satisfied!
    When I was at West they were trying to show me the G2 card but couldn't get it to work in any of the display models.
    I hadn't even thought about Accupoint...Thanks for the info.

You know they don't have the quantity or selection of stuff but had I gone there first, it would've saved me a day and wasted trip to Whittier.
    No substitute for actually knowing what you're selling.
    Anc should have a Gear Shed.

PM box clear!

I have a pretty good stock of the 740s units. We have great luck with them in southeast AK. Give me a shout if you have any questions on any of it. I have a web address but I'm not sure about putting it up on posts on this site. PM me if you want it.

Big Jim,

So you bought the GA 38 GPS/Glonass antenna? How much did Accupoint want for it? How much for the G2 Vision card?

Iceking02

Head unit installation was a breeze and I wired it into the old 1GHz GPS antenna. Next up is radar install. Looks pretty simple, too!

I think it was 70 bucks didn't install it yet. It's on the boat in the box. The boat is in Whittier and to run back & forth was getting old fast so I got it in case the internal antenna didn't work well but it works fine as is. I even mounted an antenna base on the arch for it but can use that for an additional radio. The card was 300, and I'm not a techno type so I doubt I will tap into the unit & cards full potential but I like the routing capability and it shows more detail for depth contour and stuff like that. Have only used it for a few hours but will play with it as time goes on.
    Yeah easy install as most of the stuff now is even for guys like me!

Radar unit wasn't difficult to install. Works like a charm!

Well when I tackle mine I might PM if I run into any questions.

You might want to watch ebay for the vision card. I picked mine up there for $50 and it works like a charm.

Quote Originally Posted by IceKing02 View Post
    Big Jim,

So you bought the GA 38 GPS/Glonass antenna? How much did Accupoint want for it? How much for the G2 Vision card?

Iceking02

Well crap! You saved 250!!!!! I needed mine asap so bit the bullet