Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost shotgun at Cottonwood Creek

Default Lost shotgun at Cottonwood Creek

I don't know if its a tragedy or a fitting final resting place for a gun that's been through a ton with me. Regardless, I strapped my old wood 870 express to my pack for the first time and lost it somewhere on the first mile from the bridge. My preference would be to get it back, especially since it was the first gun my dad ever bought and started hunting deer when I was a little boy. There will be a reward available but if there is a place to lose a shotgun it should probably be somewhere in a wetland complex in pursuit of feathers.
    Go Big Red!

Sad to hear that, I hope it finds it's way back to ya. I know there are several folks on here who hunt that area, so don't give up hope.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

I plan on going out tomorrow assuming it isn't raining like it is currently, and will keep my eyes open for it.
    Jesse
    HR SHR JR's Gunny Dog "Ermey"
    SR JR's Marsh Mangling Mindy
    SR JR's LNR Thicket Thrashing Trixie

I havnt been out that trail very far, but i recall a lot of water covering it. Seems that will be the biggest problem, if it went in the water, you might need a metal detector to find it, and when you do, may discover its been run over multiple times by ATV's. good luck, Bud
    Wasilla

I shuffled my feet back and forth that mile and back three times where we walked and only found a few buried sticks of brush. Will a metal detector work through 2-3 feet of water, mud, and vegetation? We mostly walked to the left side where atvs probably aren't operating so I'm holding out a bit of hope that 1) I can find it and 2) it isn't broke to pieces. I'm not expecting it intact but would rather find it broken than lose it for sentimental reasons. I don't really think its in the mud or on the trail because me and my hunting partner should have turned it up. I'm guessing its in the water below that grassy stuff where its kind of deep and its the only place a gun that long would have just disappeared.

I appreciate the extra eyes out there!

the metal detectors they use for gold mining can be put in the water with no difficulity. you can call alaska mining and diving and see if they have a demo you might borrow or rent. Bud
    Wasilla

Sorry to hear that I hope your find it
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Good luck hope you find it

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

I gave it another try last night. The son of a forum member joined me with a metal detector and I picked up industrial magnets from AIH after receiving a nice PM suggestion. Neither new tactic worked on top of another series of shuffling through the marsh. If anybody kicks it up I'd be tickled to get it back but I've gotten my father's blessing to leave her out there and start making memories with a new firearm once I decide what her replacement will be.
    Go Big Red!

Sorry to hear hopefully it will still turn up

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Make sure you let the Troopers know. There are people out there that don't read this forum (yes, I'm sure there are!!) and may turn it in.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I'm thinking that someone found it not long after it fell off your pack. In any case, it's good advice to report it to AST, WPD and PPD, not only in case someone turns it in, but if someone uses the gun during a crime, it needs to be clear that the gun was not in your possession.

There were only 4 guys that went by in the dark on 4wheelers as we were headed back looking for it pre-dawn so I’m not very suspicious that someone grabbed it. I talked to one of them inperson yesterday when I went back out and my impression was that he was genuinely sympathetic so I don't think his crew found it. Is there any sort ofbig magnetic bar that I could take? Someof those areas were brutal with a handheld metal detector and the little magnets Ihad wouldn’t have influenced the bottom below vegetation in some spots.
    Go Big Red!

Sorry you lost your shotgun.

Its a shot in the dark... (pun intended, sorry), but maybe a K9 cop could be able to help locate your shotgun. I'm not sure of the capabilities of the canine nose but I am astounded by labs and their noses, it may be worth a call to WPD or Troopers to see if their K9 officers want a little practice. I know they are very busy but maybe you could catch them during some down time.
    “The perils of duck hunting are great - especially for the duck.” Walter Cronkite

PG13 PM sent Think I found something that might belong to you.
    Jesse

I really hope Jessy has some good news for this thread, if anybody can find a gun out there, Jessy can, I know he spends a lot of time there. Bud
    Wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    I really hope Jessy has some good news for this thread, if anybody can find a gun out there, Jessy can, I know he spends a lot of time there. Bud
    Well the good news is I went out today, on the way back in dropped my wheeler in a hole. As I was trying to push it backwards knee deep in water out of the hole I kicked something that I thought was a stick, thinking it odd for a stick in the middle of a mud hole I lift my foot up exposing the butt of gun. Though caked in mud the gun didn't appear damaged. As soon as I got home I sent a PM to PG13 and arranged meeting up with him to return his wet & muddy but otherwise unharmed family heirloom. Glad to have met him and even happier that this story had happy ending. Told him a complete disassembly and thorough cleaning was probably in order.....LOL
    Jesse

Quote Originally Posted by thelast2 View Post
    Well the good news is I went out today, on the way back in dropped my wheeler in a hole. As I was trying to push it backwards knee deep in water out of the hole I kicked something that I thought was a stick, thinking it odd for a stick in the middle of a mud hole I lift my foot up exposing the butt of gun. Though caked in mud the gun didn't appear damaged. As soon as I got home I sent a PM to PG13 and arranged meeting up with him to return his wet & muddy but otherwise unharmed family heirloom. Glad to have met him and even happier that this story had happy ending. Told him a complete disassembly and thorough cleaning was probably in order.....LOL
    Awesome ending to the story, glad to hear it! I found a dog that had been missing for two weeks one time, the looks on the faces of the folks, adults and kids, was priceless!

Nice job Sir... Got to love the forums for many reasons..

Had a forum member over at the house today to check out the EBADS... Looking forward to sharing some outdoor times with him and family in the future..
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

image.jpg
    Jesse is a stud! Thanks for being so stubborn and refusing to just go around that same spot where you've gotten stuck before. I wanted to jump in here and brag about the discovery and extremely low odds but I'be been busy taking it through its first disassembly. I was starting to let it go in my head and even assumed he found some random piece of gear I didn't even know I was missing. I must be attached to this thing more than I thought because I checked my PM on my phone standing in the rain because I didn't want to wait to get to my truck. News just about took my breath away. Dad is an early to bed kind if man and in the Central Time Zone so ill be calling him fist thing in the morning.

Thanks to all the men that I spoke with on the trail, I'm proud to be in the same community as men like you willing to aid a stranger. And to SkinnyD for making lemons into lemonade on Sunday and being willing to shuffle with me for hours. Blessings are abundant in my life right now.
    Go Big Red!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast