Thread: Goosed?

Default Goosed?

Interesting day in the swamp today. Left the truck at sunrise alone and for some reason decided to limit myself to 16 shells. I've been shooting pretty decent this fall and figured should be able to fill out with 16 shots. Sounded reasonable. Heck that's only 50 percent shooting. Further, I grabbed 8 shells of two and three quads four shot and 8 shells of the three inch four shot. For my 16 total. After all I reasoned that I could use some of the smaller shells on the numerous teal around. The three inchers I hoped to make fabulous shots on mallards AND really hoped for a goose or two. I chased them around last yr with no luck and although had a couple half arsed chances at geese this yr, I had yet to connect.
    So long story short(er), I'm shooting horrible today. Teal trying to take my hat off and I'm pulling the trigger when they're 20 ft from my barrel. I'm taking stupid out of position shots at over the head and behind me mallards that make me cuss myself. Have u no discipline,(?) I tell myself. The morning fly is slowing and so I decide to put the sneak on some ducks that have been dropping back in the swamp a couple hundred yards away. Not 200 yards away From where I had been sitting I jump about 25 geese. However they are just out of range. Next I jump about 30 mallards. I manage one quick shot and drop a drake w broken wing. As I chase him down the creek more teal and gadwalls rise and I blast a couple more times. Nothing. I cuss myself again for flock shooting. Now I'm down to 6 shots left and I'm chasing a cripple down the creek and not wanting to waste him with another shell. Dang now HE eludes me in the weeds.
    It's about noonish now and I'm duckless. I decide to go back and get my stashed robo and lone deke and hunt the back end of the swamp where I'm jumping all this fowl. Thinking surely they'll be back and hoping I can lure my lost mallard back into my sight , as often happens. I return and setup. Before I can get hid back come some ducks. Busted by most of them I get hidden with my six remaining shells in time to zero in on 4 mallards coming in fast. First shot drops a drake and my second (missed ) shot twists me around so far I lose track of where my first downed mallard fell. Down to four shots now. I run a grid pattern for the next couple hrs and finally find him just 8 ft from where I was sitting when I shot him dead. Running the grid pattern I'm continually being busted by returning ducks. I want big mallards w my remaining shells but four teal land next to my deek and I decide to shoot once while they line up and hoe for two or 3. Boom! Two teal are mine.
    Three ducks in hand and 3 shots left. Can I leave w 3 more mallards?
    Here comes 4 of em. Two more shots that should not have been taken when trying for the sure thing. I cuss myself again.
    Now just one shell left and I'm determined to wait for the guaranteed sure thing. I look my situation over and decide to climb up the mt aways to get above the brush and get maximum view of the swamp in front of me. By the time I'm snuggling against the hill 2 more mallards circle. 3 times. Not a sure thing yet but getting more certain w each pass. This next pas should do it. I raise my scatter gun and .... Dang busted again. There was not 2 mallards but 4. I'm busted by their 2 buddies and I watch them head for parts unknown. But before they completely disappear, what's that I hear? The beautiful sound of honkers coming my way. Yeah! They spot roboduk. They like it! They turn left at the mt and head right across in front of me. Steady. Steady. I wonder if my last shell is a 3 inch or a 2 and three quad. It matters not at this point. It is what it is. The lead bird of the 25 or so birds passes by and quickly I raise my gun. The flock flairs and for some reason my instinct picks out the third from the last goose on the formations V that is closest. BOOM! One shot and down crashes the bird. WhooHoo!! So excited I forget to check what size shell was ejected. The bird was dead before the few seconds it took me to get to him.
    What a way to end the day.
    Makes me wonder, if I had 3 shots at the geese how many would have dropped. Maybe none?
    I'll have to go back there tomorrow and see what size shell it was and try and find that cripple I lost.
    First goose for me since 1990. Yeehaw!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381648882.237820.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1381648967.774232.jpg
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Congrats on your goose
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

I know the pics are not great but the goose looked quite dark. For those of you's familiar with geese, is this possibly a 'dusky' goose? Breast feathers blended right in with pretty much all other feathers.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Looks like a dusky to me, very dark all over the bird

Very nice, a rare occurrence for sure unless your in an area where geese are holed up feeding.
    Jesse
    HR SHR JR's Gunny Dog "Ermey"
    SR JR's Marsh Mangling Mindy
    SR JR's LNR Thicket Thrashing Trixie

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    I know the pics are not great but the goose looked quite dark. For those of you's familiar with geese, is this possibly a 'dusky' goose? Breast feathers blended right in with pretty much all other feathers.
    You'll have to excuse me guys as I've been out of the duck hunting group for quite some time. What's a "dusky" goose? Never heard the term used.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

It's a small subspecies that I believe all of them nest in the copper river delta area. They are small and are darker in color.

Sent while hiding from the boss