Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weather

Default Weather

What's up with this weather!! Sitting here watching lows for 37 and high tomorrow for Nome of 42?? This is crazy!! Heck.. Might be shooting ducks on thanksgiving at this point..lol going to be a steady push of birds that is for sure for at least a few weeks yet..
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

I hope it lasts...been stuck working the last two weeks, and no break for the next week and a half..have snuck out here and there, but no luck. Found out today we may be having our second child in june, so next year is looking scarce on hunting days.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    What's up with this weather!! Sitting here watching lows for 37 and high tomorrow for Nome of 42?? This is crazy!! Heck.. Might be shooting ducks on thanksgiving at this point..lol going to be a steady push of birds that is for sure for at least a few weeks yet..
    My thoughts exactly, haven't done a thanksgiving day hunt yet
    Jesse
    HR SHR JR's Gunny Dog "Ermey"
    SR JR's Marsh Mangling Mindy
    SR JR's LNR Thicket Thrashing Trixie

Sounds like more big green heads to me!!

lov it with the ice staying away like this, hope i can get back out and hit it hard the next week or two, we should be breaking ice now. Bud
    Wasilla

The water was no where close to ice conditions on friday. The water was cool but not cold. Im gonna keep after em since the weather seems to be agreeing with me.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    Nothing new really......I can remember years ago here on the Kenai, more than a few seasons we were able to hunt almost right up until the last day in Dec. And that was before all this global warming bs was going round. Take a look at the book "Alaska's #1 Guide" and look at the journals of Andrew Berg. Many times he wrote of mild winters and come and go freezing temps. Again, long before any talk of global warming. I can remember many Halloween nights where my kids would have to wear their rubber boots with their costumes because the mud was so bad......lol.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Been almost a month now since my boat broke down, expect to be out in it Tuesday, really happy about this pinapple express we are blessed with. However, I notice the snow is getting lower on the mountains, we could get some ice real quick, but the weatherman is still saying mid 30's and i like that. I'm sure i still have another half doz trips ahead of me, maybe more if i feel up to breaking ice. Bud
    Wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    Been almost a month now since my boat broke down, expect to be out in it Tuesday, really happy about this pinapple express we are blessed with. However, I notice the snow is getting lower on the mountains, we could get some ice real quick, but the weatherman is still saying mid 30's and i like that. I'm sure i still have another half doz trips ahead of me, maybe more if i feel up to breaking ice. Bud
    Glad to hear the boat is back up and running. Be careful out there would hate to have to push it off some more sand bars!

Was sitting on the knik today when he temp hit 47.. Lol tshirt and jacket.. Jacket was way to much.. Think I'm taking the kids back out duckhunting and camping this weekend..
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Planning on heading out this Friday-Sunday into PWS. Hopefully we'll be between blows. If not we may end up staying out for a week......
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

TriIron - Clear up some PM space...........

randy

Randy-Thanks for the reminder. Now do I have to clean up the garage too????

Quote Originally Posted by TriIron View Post
    Randy-Thanks for the reminder. Now do I have to clean up the garage too????
    Oh heck NO we don't want to even talk about garages. Mine is looking like a hurricane went through. Cleanup will commence after freeze up.
    Jesse
    HR SHR JR's Gunny Dog "Ermey"
    SR JR's Marsh Mangling Mindy
    SR JR's LNR Thicket Thrashing Trixie

Wen afternoon was calm and showers on the flats. First time i'd been out in a while, due to my big boat not running, and was anxous to kill some quckers yesterday and went out. My small boat has camo on it and blends in color wise with the marsh, but it sits up high, much higher then the protruding marsh grass. We attempted to be as still as possible but the ducks just would not come in. There wern't a lot flying, but we had many come by and check us out only to flair at 50-70 yds away. I know they were seeing something they didn't like. Dog was still, and not obvious, partner was at the bow of the boat mostly standing in the marsh but hunched down and well covered, i was in the boat blind, face mask, just peering over the edge. All I can say, these birds are well educated and don't like anything remotely resembling the shape of a boat. We got a few of the stupid ones, but did not do well.

I was really looking forward to getting back out in mid Oct. last year, it was mid 30's in the day, freezing at night, so some ice out, but not bad during the day. Frozen in the interior and while not a lot, i had good size flights of mallards working my deks with little hesitation. I hope it resembles this in another week or so, last fall i really enjoyed the late season hunting, just hope it gets better this year. Bud
    Wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    Wen afternoon was calm and showers on the flats. First time i'd been out in a while, due to my big boat not running, and was anxous to kill some quckers yesterday and went out. My small boat has camo on it and blends in color wise with the marsh, but it sits up high, much higher then the protruding marsh grass. We attempted to be as still as possible but the ducks just would not come in. There wern't a lot flying, but we had many come by and check us out only to flair at 50-70 yds away. I know they were seeing something they didn't like. Dog was still, and not obvious, partner was at the bow of the boat mostly standing in the marsh but hunched down and well covered, i was in the boat blind, face mask, just peering over the edge. All I can say, these birds are well educated and don't like anything remotely resembling the shape of a boat. We got a few of the stupid ones, but did not do well.

I was really looking forward to getting back out in mid Oct. last year, it was mid 30's in the day, freezing at night, so some ice out, but not bad during the day. Frozen in the interior and while not a lot, i had good size flights of mallards working my deks with little hesitation. I hope it resembles this in another week or so, last fall i really enjoyed the late season hunting, just hope it gets better this year. Bud

Bud,

We've had the same thing happen (as probably all waterfowlers have). I've walked out in front of our setup to see what the heck is flairing birds off. Sometimes it's something easy-like an empty that is reflecting sunlight or a candy wrapper that is hanging out of a pocket or maybe a dek that has line hung up on the tail. Sometimes they probably just plain change thier mind and decide they don't want to hang out in a group. And sometimes my hunting partners have thier red faces looking out and I know exactly why the birds are flairing... Hope to get out this weekend between the blows....

I know, I basicly wrote this up to tell others how educiated the birds out there are now, most i suspect have been there since early in the month and have learned about decoys and hunters and are very shy of them. Still waiting for the stupid ones to show up. Bud
    Wasilla

My brother and I had one of those "Never again" hunts in south Texas. We had a couple of great days of guided duck hunting-just the two of us, Ruby and a guide who basicially just took us out, showed us where the blind was and left us alone. It was great. Then the last day we decided to try some geese hunting. Ended up with a group of about eight-some hunters some not even close. Got up at 4am, headed out to a stubble field, set up about 300 decoys, layed down and got covered up with hay and then proceeded to watch thousands of birds flying in large huricane formations about 500 yards in front of us-landing and taking off for about two hours. Whenever a flock would approach us they would flair off at about 150 yards. After about the fourth flair, I called over to the guides and told them something was spooking the birds. He walked around and couldn't find anything (he wasn't that interested from what I saw). At any rate, we ended up with ONE goose between the eight of us. With that many eyes on you and folks who may not understand how critical it is to not move I think we were sunk before the sun even came up. Never again will I waste money on a hunt like that.....

Went out yesterday. That nice weather was in full force. It was dead calm, too calm. Water was like glass zero rain I had to take all my cold weather gear off gloves and all. The morning stunk. Had a few nice flocks come to the decoys just before shooting time including a couple green heads but they were 10 minutes too early. After opening I sat for well over an hour with out 1 bird. So I pulled up and headed for another spot. Cut the decoy spread down to half. Got in some even taller grass and sat again for about 45 minutes with NO birds. Then the waterfowl gods smiled upon me and decided to start sending them my way. First was a set of 7 or 8 mallards. Of course they came in right in the middle of a bathroom break. Managed to drop the gun and pick up the rifle and get a shot off and hit a hen. There were 2 green heads mixed in the bunch but with a rushed shot I couldnt be picky. Finished up and more were on the way. A mix of widgeon and teal. Mostly smaller flocks although I saw several large ones about. Ended up shooting 8 ducks and retrieving 7 and left at around 12. Every thing I hit was coming into the decoys hard and fast. The others seemed disinterested and wouldn't come near. Pretty good shoot minus the slow morning. Only used a little over half a box and 4 were on 1 cripple that flattened out and was beating feat out to the reeds in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by TriIron View Post
    Whenever a flock would approach us they would flair off at about 150 yards. After about the fourth flair, I called over to the guides and told them something was spooking the birds. He walked around and couldn't find anything (he wasn't that interested from what I saw).
    The last year I hunted geese up here the same thing happened except they wouldn't flair quite as far off.....but just out of range. After the second flock flaired off in the same direction, I said "That's it, lets go." All we did was just leave the deeks there, pick up, move over and cover up. They held true to form and we hammered them after that. Every flock would flaire the same way. It was great watching their eyes looking over the at the deeks when we'd pull up right under them...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast