Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bulge in barrel

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default Bulge in barrel

My auto 5 light has a bulge in barrel from stuck wad, can I keep using it?
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakcombo View Post
    i would post this on the gunsmithing forum, lots of experts there. Bud
    Wasilla

I wouldnt at least not until you had it looked at by a gunsmith
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

That sounds like one of the shells you put in the gun may have created to much pressure causing the barrel to bulge. As akblackdawg said wouldn't hurt to run it by the gunsmith forum.
    Jesse
    HR SHR JR's Gunny Dog "Ermey"
    SR JR's Marsh Mangling Mindy
    SR JR's LNR Thicket Thrashing Trixie

If its at least 15" up the barrel you will probably be ok but after season is over I would have it tended to be a shotgun smith that has or can make the correct plugs to fix it. Max pressure is 9" to 11" down the barrel. Duck season is a good time to get bulges in the barrel and many times its from rain be in the barrel,if not a bulge at least riveling.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    If its at least 15" up the barrel you will probably be ok but after season is over I would have it tended to be a shotgun smith that has or can make the correct plugs to fix it. Max pressure is 9" to 11" down the barrel. Duck season is a good time to get bulges in the barrel and many times its from rain be in the barrel,if not a bulge at least riveling.
    Thanks, I would replace the barrel but they are scarce.
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Never shoot a bulged barrel. My cousin had a wad get stuck and it caused a bulge. He shot another shell and the metal gave way where the bulge was because it was structurally weakened. My opinion is if the gun isn't like it should be normally don't shoot it or you could/will have a bad day in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by jpc8636 View Post
    Never shoot a bulged barrel. My cousin had a wad get stuck and it caused a bulge. He shot another shell and the metal gave way where the bulge was because it was structurally weakened. My opinion is if the gun isn't like it should be normally don't shoot it or you could/will have a bad day in the woods.
    +1 here. A bulge is indicating weakened metal from expansion. Im not a gun smith but I can tell you if we find an expanded panel on an aircraft it gets repaired immediately for a reason. Too much pressure on an already weakened area will make for a mess and possibly and injury.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

If a shotgun has factory screw-in chokes it will have a bulge in the barrel for the choke tube,take a look.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    If a shotgun has factory screw-in chokes it will have a bulge in the barrel for the choke tube,take a look.
    I don't think that's the same type of bulge. It bulges out to accommodate the threads and removable choke cylinder, but that's the way it is designed and constructed. It's much different to have it bulge out due to overstress in the metal. The bulge is DAMAGE, and gun safety 101 says do not shoot a damaged gun. With modern weapons that fire properly 99% of the time or better, it's easy to take for granted that a gun has a pretty high-energy explosion going off inches from your face when you fire it. It can really do some damage to you when it doesn't work right, and there is absolutely no reason to take that risk with a compromised gun. For me, I would want 2 gunsmiths to vouch for its safety before considering keeping it
    My signature is awesome.

Thanks everyone! I will not shoot it again. Anyone have A5 barrel they want to sell?
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gr is for Greg View Post
    I don't think that's the same type of bulge. It bulges out to accommodate the threads and removable choke cylinder, but that's the way it is designed and constructed. It's much different to have it bulge out due to overstress in the metal. The bulge is DAMAGE, and gun safety 101 says do not shoot a damaged gun. With modern weapons that fire properly 99% of the time or better, it's easy to take for granted that a gun has a pretty high-energy explosion going off inches from your face when you fire it. It can really do some damage to you when it doesn't work right, and there is absolutely no reason to take that risk with a compromised gun. For me, I would want 2 gunsmiths to vouch for its safety before considering keeping it
    The designed bulge is put in with an expander giving enough pressure to bulge the barrel and its not a gentle nudge. Of course not seeing the barrel myself has drawbacks but have been working on shotguns forty years from the Crescent to H&H and the barrel is fairly basic..

Thanks everyone! I will not shoot it again. Anyone have A5 barrel they want to sell?
    I would check on gunbroker.com. What gauge(assuming 12 but some like the sporting aspect of a 20) and length do you need?
    Jesse

Quote Originally Posted by thelast2 View Post
    I would check on gunbroker.com. What gauge(assuming 12 but some like the sporting aspect of a 20) and length do you need?
    26-30 inch, scoured gunbroker with no luck
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Yeah that is bad business. Do not put another round through that. You would be asking for a bad day. Im sure some steel pellets moving at around 1500 fps coming out the side of a barrel would ruin any ones day in a hurry.

Ebay.......

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    Yeah that is bad business. Do not put another round through that. You would be asking for a bad day. Im sure some steel pellets moving at around 1500 fps coming out the side of a barrel would ruin any ones day in a hurry.
    Yeah the photo says a lot amazing that a stuck wad with another shell fired behind it does that. Makes me think im going to be checking the end of the barrel for mud and weeds more often. Been hit in the head with a fragment out of the muzzle brake of a 50 BMG with a 900 grain anti aircraft shell already this year don't think a face full of small pellets sounds like much fun.
    Jesse

Quote Originally Posted by thelast2 View Post
    Yeah the photo says a lot amazing that a stuck wad with another shell fired behind it does that. Makes me think im going to be checking the end of the barrel for mud and weeds more often. Been hit in the head with a fragment out of the muzzle brake of a 50 BMG with a 900 grain anti aircraft shell already this year don't think a face full of small pellets sounds like much fun.
    Yeah a stuck wad is pretty surprising. I always check my barrel if I suspect an obstruction like mud or weeds. Not much you can do about a wad though. You would never know it was in there unless you look after every round or happen to see it flying through the air while your looking at ducks.

Just got back from a hunt in which mt son had two misfires that resulted in a wad stuck in the barrel. First time for me in forty years! We stopped on a beaver dam and borrowed a ram rod. Time for new shells!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast