Thread: Need fur gun advice, 17WSM rimfire??

Default Need fur gun advice, 17WSM rimfire??

I'm thinking about the new 17 Winchester Super Magnum. I'll be using it for fox and coyotes on the Alaska Peninsula. The coyotes are moving in pretty thick. The fox are stupid (almost feel guilty shooting them) so long range isn't too much of a consideration, besides the wind blows so much that is probably the main limiting factor. The coyotes are a little more wary, having a range of 100-200 yards would be nice, but 100 is more realistic. My primary consideration is fur damage. Any suggestions?

The 25 grain at 2800 feet per second should work great on the yotes, the bullets should not exit the dog. I just got the Savage rifle and am anxious to get the Ruger as soon as it comes out. I should work great up to about 200 yards. Ammo has been hard to get, but a little at a time is available.

There is much less room for error with a bigger heavier bullet when it comes to range and wind. Even in a hundred yards with little wind a 17 caliber is going to move much more and past a 100 yards will drop way faster than something with a 60-100 grain bullet and if they are the right bullets loaded to the right velocity you will still get very minimal pelt damage. But the 17 will kill a fox and coyote just more variables and not the best gun IMO

It's an interesting caliber, and I'll be reading to see how it performs, but I'd spend my money on something more proven at this point. Rick Kinnmon is one of the most successful predator hunters in the world, and he shoots everything from Fox at 20 feet to running wolves at 700 yards (yes, 700 yards!) using a 6MM PPC pushing 80 grain Hornady FMJs to 2800 fps. He has discovered that this combination gives the best possible performance in terms of killing power at varying ranges, and minimizing pelt damage at all ranges. If you want a more main - stream cartridge, it should be fairly easy to duplicate that load in a .243.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

I should mention that my definition of little fur damage includes no exit hole, I just don't see that happening with any 22 caliber or larger center fire. Am I wrong?

some of the lighter fragmenting bullets in a .22 class centerfire might work, but not up close. They would buck the wind better than a super light .17, but even that .17 WSM might leave two holes depending on where you hit the animal. I know it's rare, unethical and illegal but I've even read about two hole boiler room shots on whitetail with a .17 HMR. Just don't expect perfect results every time and you should be happy with whatever you finally choose.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.