Thread: Learning Skeet / Trap

Default Learning Skeet / Trap

Any experienced clay shooters out there wiling to show a couple of newbies how to shoot trap and skeet at Birchwood Range.

Need someone that can teach proper form, etc.

Thanks,

-Dan

If I wanted to learn shotgun sports Id head up Fishhook, quite a club they have going now..
    http://www.grouseridge.com/
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I used to shoot with Harry in the early 90's when sporting was just getting going up here. The folks there today can teach you the right way.Note many folks will shoot a 22 or 23 on their first round of trap and it will be a year before they hit those numbers again do to over thinking the couple of misses on the first round. Try it,its a great game and can lead to many shotgun sports from 16 yard trap to ZZ and Fitasc and on to high dollar hand thrown pigeon
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

There's some instructional videos on line too. I was watching some tonight after going trap shooting today and doing horribly. I'm not sure what happened. I've never shot in any organized clubs but used to at least hit more than I missed. Today my son hit more than I did and it was only his second time shooting a shotgun. My wife says I need to wear my glasses. I think I was leading a bit too much. It's definitely an art, like shooting a bow, which requires some learned instinct...Louis
    Louis Knapp

If you miss two in a row do something different.It ain't rodeo so don't ride the birds,butt belly beak bang. By all means pattern your gun to see how it shoots. Most field guns shoot 50/50 but some trap guns are as much as 70/30.The first number is the percent of shot above the point of aim. If your gun has a center bead the two beads should form a 8 top sitting on center. Clays going to the left keep the stock welded to your cheek but to the right try to pull the stock away. Shoot under going away birds.Don't over think it as good shooter can hit 25's from the hip because its truly a pointing type gun and no beads are really needed.

On clean misses you have missed by at least 18" as you gun should throw a 36" pattern at forty yards with full choke.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Pattern the shotgun for point of aim.When I started, I shot all manner of fine shotguns...and couldn't hit squat.

Finally, we put a box out at 30yards and and my buddy said"center punch it".I did and the box barely tipped over.I had caught maybe 4 7 1/2s on the very top edge.

This was from a trap SS Baker that Dockweiller had restocked.We experimented and found it shot about 30 inces high for me, even with a firm cheek position.

Next time I started at station 1 and ran 25 straight.When I got to station 5, I told the puller "keep throwing until I miss".I was smoking and ink spotting birds from station 5 until I ran out of ammo.That'd when I knew I could shoot trap...with that shotgun...holding close to 3 feet under the bird.

When I bought my own Browing, Jack had to take close to 3/8" off the comb.That took 5 trial and error fitting sessions at his shop in Corona.Worth every penny.It went from useless to deadly.

Point being, not everyone's face is the same...especially the distance from the eye to the cheekbone.Plus I occasionally suffer from left eye dominance...not uncommon from right handed shooters.

Not everyone wears a 38 regular suit or size 8D boots.Shotguns MUST be made to FIT the shooter...not vice versa.

You guys are making me miss my shotgun!

I'm no expert, so take it for what it is. These guys know more than me I'm sure. All I will add is that you are on the verge of getting it already. There is a lot of instinct to shooting trap. Once it clicks, you'll be on. But one thing I teach my kids is that you have to be a little patient with the clays. New shooters want to shoot as soon as they see the clay, that's not always the best approach. Try sucking in a breath just before the clay releases and let it out BEFORE you shoot. That split second of pause will give your mind the time it needs to track the clay and get the angles. It also slows you down just a fraction so you aren't jumping the gun and shooting too fast. The times I miss the most are when I'm rushing myself for no reason.

Of course this assumes you are shooting more trap. Skeet seems to be faster paced, so you need to be a little quicker. But maybe that's me.

A lot of good info and advice so far coldpaddler. I shot a ton of tap, some skeet, and more sporting clays than I can count. Owned my own sporting clays course for 10 years. Even though all three sports use the same basic target ( sporting clays has a variety of types, 60mm, 90mm, 105, battues, rabbits etc. ) they are shot with different types of shotguns. In trap the idea of having a gun shoot high, which 70% above center is very common, is for the shooter to be able to maintain sight of the target as ALL trap presentations are RISING! Your brain can run the calculations it needs for lead as long as your eyes don't loose sight of it. When someone throws a baseball to you, you don't aim your hand to catch it, your eyes let your brain run the show. Shooting clays is much like that. One of the best tips I can give you is to learn to focus on the leading edge and pull away from that. Just like shooting live birds if you focus on the tail feathers you will shoot behind your target. Learn to control the speed of the target through intensity. If you have ever watched a ceiling fan turn and for brief periods you can see one blade then it disappears into a blur again that's the mental control you need to work on for target shooting. Most new shooters only see a target, learn to focus on the front, on straight-a-ways the front will be the top as they are rising, not a true straight away. 99% of the time you shoot at a targets rear end you will miss! Remember also that shooting a ton of targets will do little to improve your skills if you do not practice good habits. When I competed hard I would finish a day of shooting much more mentally tired than physically. You will have to determine how much effort you wish to put into it and balance having fun with hard work, good luck!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Swing through the bird.....don't stop when you pull the trigger.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Thanks everyone for your advice. It is appreciated.

I'll shoot with you and might be able to teach you a few things as i spend quite a bit of time there.

I'm sending you a PM with my PH#

I'll be happy to coach you and your friend,I run the SCTP youth program in Alaska and coach at Grouse Ridge shooting grounds. Be happy to get you started in the right direction