Thread: Buyer Beware of Labrador Breeder in the Valley

Wasilla, AK

Angry Buyer Beware of Labrador Breeder in the Valley

It sickens me to no end again, today I run into a young man with a 1 yr old CLF. Get chatting with him and find out that a local Valley breeder is still up to the same old cr*p of not providing the registration paper for the puppies he is selling. And while I know that it is the buyers responsibility to get the paper work upon picking up the pup. For those such as myself who were trusting when the breeder said its in the mail and I will get it to you as soon as I receive them. Then ultimately having to repeatedly call asking for the paperwork and getting the same answer, its in the mail. I wrote a letter to the AKC and that coupled with a local well known trainer calling I managed to get the paperwork finally when the pup was 9 months old. This is not the first individual whom I have run into that has had this same problem with this breeder. That said if anyone here is looking for a new pup or knows someone who is please steer clear of this breeder. You can PM me for the name as, I wont Publicly humiliate him though frankly I believe that is what needs to be done. When you pay a premium for a purebred dog you should get what you pay for, which is a puppy with registration papers.
    HR SHR JR's Gunny Dog "Ermey"
    SR JR's Marsh Mangling Mindy
    SR JR's LNR Thicket Thrashing Trixie

Fairbanks, Alaska

Below is from AKC's website ( They also have a page for resolving conflicts with a breeder at

I never received a dog registration application from my breeder. How can I get an application for my dog?
    Answer: Buyers should not accept a promise that this identification or the registration application will be sent later. It is the buyer’s responsibility to obtain complete identification of the dog as described below. If sufficient information to identify the dog within AKC records is not forthcoming, the buyer should seriously consider not purchasing the dog.

This identifying information may be stated on a properly completed AKC registration application, on a bill of sale, or on a written statement, signed by the seller, that gives the dog's full breeding information as follows:

Breed, sex and color
    Date of birth of the dog
    Registered names and numbers of the dog's sire and dam
    Name and address of the breeder
    Date of purchase by the buyer
    Name and address of the buyer

If you have this information, you should write a letter to AKC and give the details of the situation and copies of any documents you have. Please provide the full names, addresses, and phone numbers of everyone involved, including you. You will need to fax or mail that letter and copies of all related documents to:
    American Kennel Club
    Case Management Dept.
    PO Box 900066
    Raleigh, NC 27675-9066
    Fax - 919-816-4250

We will review the situation, contact the breeder, and get back to you.

Please sign your letter of complaint.

Registration with the AKC is strictly voluntary. The AKC cannot force breeders to register their litters with us, and, as there are many domestic dog registries, the term “papers” or “papered” does not necessarily mean “eligible for AKC registration.”

If you have made every available effort to obtain the AKC registration application from the seller (litter owner/ breeder, pet store or third party) and it is still not forthcoming, the AKC can only recommend that you seek legal counsel to determine if you can obtain relief through civil channels. You may also wish to bring this matter to the attention of your local Better Business Bureau or Consumer Protection Service.

The AKC is not directly involved in the commerce of dogs, and the AKC does not license, endorse, register, or recommend any breeders or kennels. Membership in the AKC is comprised of independent dog clubs located throughout the United States. No individual persons are members of the AKC.