Thread: small game with a bow

Default small game with a bow

Hi guys. I am new to the forum so I apologize if this has been posted before (did not see a similar subject). I just moved to a small village in Alaska and I seem to be the only one with a bow. In this particular village, they are not keen to the idea of someone coming in to hunting big game of any type. At least for awhile, If I want to hunt, it will only be small game (fox, grouse, hare). Does any one have experience in hunting small game with a bow? Any tips offered would be much appreciated!

Order yourself up some judo tips and fire away.
    Also fill your freezer I'm assuming your an Alaska resident. If so you have just as much right to the big game as they do.....period
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

There is a very satisfying thump when a judo point hits grouse. Haven't killed a rabbit with a judo point. They will not kill foxes, they just hit them and bounce off.

I don't like judo's for anything more than stumping but I don't have the energy a wheel bow has either.

I prefer Large rubber blunts with steel blunts under them or 357 cases (can use either on woodies). When you smack a bird with one it lays them out flat. Rubber blunts on bunnies in the head also works perfectly!

Anything bigger USE BROADHEADS!!!!!

Thanks for the advice. I just ordered both judo tips and rubber blunts. I am gonna try both and see which one I like the best. After a week straight of rain, I decided to go out to a trail I know and I was able to get one (spruce grouse) with a field point (the only thing I had). I realize that I probably got lucky with the shot placement, Because I did not hit anything that would fowl the meat. I did however put a field point size hole in the breast, actually two (the arrow went clean through). I figure the hole won't change the taste, but I will wait to go back out looking for them until I get the new tips.

A cheap way with field points is to go to Lowes or HD and get washers that fit the shaft of the field point. Works as good as blunts and you don't have to wait for shipping. I carry both blunts and judo's. If he is on the ground judo and in a tree blunts. Judo's will stick in the tree where blunts will bounce off.

I like the rubber blunt tips. If you are going for fox I would use a broad head. I have found poor quality in some of the judo tips.

I like the judo points but I've also used the wire basket point. Cabela's has one I linked below. It helps knock the grouse down even if your aim is a little off.

I once had a judo point go through a grouse, bounce off the tree right behind it and bounce back out of the grouse. It looked like a clear miss. Just as I was knocking the second arrow the bird keeled over and fell to the ground. The only thing I don't like about judo points is when they get stuck in a stump they get stuck really well.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunti...3Bcat103972680

Edited for spelling.

I'm not an Alaskan yet, but I do have quite a bit of experience hunting small game with a bow. I love judo points, but these Hex blunts are stronger. They bounce off trees but the burrow under the brush, if that is an issue where you are. http://www.3riversarchery.com/Hex+Sc..._baseitem.html

I've had great success with judo points also on the North Slope for ptarmigan. Sounds like the village is really big on conservation and making the world a better place through responsible hunting, ethics and animal population control. So not liking you coming in taking game that you're not allocated is another way they preserve species. I know... I'm full of s#!t.

I like judo heads best for grouse also. Generally limited to ground shots. I've carried the rubber blunts, but never had a chance to shoot a bird with one. I never shoot field tips at grouse (anymore). I've seen them up and fly away with or without an arrow still in them, and they can be hard to find....

The beauty of bow hunting grouse is being able to do it quietly , in areas that hunting them with a firearm might be frowned on....or with small children who dont like loud noises...

dk, I don't know what kind of bow you're shooting but if its trad slide the rubber blunt over a steel blunt (or shell casing with the rim ground down on a woodie if you have them). Without them you WILL loose birds! With wheels this may/may not hold true. Sterling was put onto the 'wrecking ball' by the buddy who got us all on the idea of the extra case/head underneath and wrote about it in the most current issue of tbm.