Thread: Black bear help

Default Black bear help

I'm down from nome and this is my 7th time looking for black bears. The previous 6 times have been unsuccessful and I have been to Whittier, Valdez and some fly out hunts. I am looking for somewhere I can drive to and hike. We have already hiked 10 miles to devils pass and tried going up to petersville (too much snow). Any help would be greatly appreciated. All I want is just one!

If you in really good shape you can find lots of Black bears up Russian falls trail. Go to the falls, cross the river and them get to tree line and start heading south.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Hit the Seward Hwy, from Girdwood to the Stirling Hwy split, for sure. I've seen blackies from the split into Cooper Landing, also. From the split into Seward, too, but my favorite area is from Gridwood to the split.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    If you in really good shape you can find lots of Black bears up Russian falls trail. Go to the falls, cross the river and them get to tree line and start heading south.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    I'll second that. Surprise Mountain [Russian Mountain to some] is virtually covered with black bears and sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post
    I'll second that. Surprise Mountain [Russian Mountain to some] is virtually covered with black bears and sheep.
    Covered....??? Sorry old timer..........you've been away too long. Black bears, maybe.....sheep? not so much. Sheep populations all over the Kenai have suffered greatly for over the last decade or more.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

headed back to gird from kenai on sat saw a big blackie in a gravel turnout in cooper landing and three nice ones between the y and summit
    pissed i didnt have a rifle

Success is found less in miles hiked.....but more in hours glassing.

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter4811 View Post
    I'm down from nome and this is my 7th time looking for black bears. The previous 6 times have been unsuccessful and I have been to Whittier, Valdez and some fly out hunts. I am looking for somewhere I can drive to and hike. We have already hiked 10 miles to devils pass and tried going up to petersville (too much snow). Any help would be greatly appreciated. All I want is just one!

I have been having a lot of trouble with getting a black bear. I've been out to hiland road two times, crow pass once, eklutna once, Sutton once. I get out really early about 5 in the morning start hiking up these huge mountains to where the berries are and glass around the whole day. I ran into 2 grizzly's but no black bear. I have the determination to get a black before hibernation. any suggestions. I've been trying predator call, also bear lure. were exactly is this hot spot at the falls or any hot spots? I fished the Russian river this season for sockeye right before the water fall. that the same trail your talking about?

This is not in reference to 907, but ol' AKhunter is pretty much going to need someone to hold his hand...and probably shoot his bear for him. I keep telling him, he can always come over and look at my black bear rugs.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Thanks for all the help from the members on here who offered advise. Apparently I should've been here hunting a week ago. I hunted hard and put in a lot of miles hiking and a lot of hours sitting an just glassing. Unfortunately not one black bear was seen but I did have a great time with my hunting partner and I feel like I put in my best effort. Looks like a spring trip to PWS is in order for trip #8!! Alaskan22, I'll bring you along so you can show me what a cub looks like since you are good at taking them.

Quote Originally Posted by 907grizz View Post
    I have been having a lot of trouble with getting a black bear. I've been out to hiland road two times, crow pass once, eklutna once, Sutton once. I get out really early about 5 in the morning start hiking up these huge mountains to where the berries are and glass around the whole day. I ran into 2 grizzly's but no black bear. I have the determination to get a black before hibernation. any suggestions. I've been trying predator call, also bear lure. were exactly is this hot spot at the falls or any hot spots? I fished the Russian river this season for sockeye right before the water fall. that the same trail your talking about?
    Highland rd is not a good area for black bears.

Did you actually hike Crow Pass?

Thanks for all the help from the members on here who offered advise. Apparently I should've been here hunting a week ago. I hunted hard and put in a lot of miles hiking and a lot of hours sitting an just glassing. Unfortunately not one black bear was seen but I did have a great time with my hunting partner and I feel like I put in my best effort. Looks like a spring trip to PWS is in order for trip #8!! Alaskan22, I'll bring you along so you can show me what a cub looks like since you are good at taking them.
    Sorry to hear about your lack of success, good luck in PWS!

hahahhahahaha!!!!!

We'll go on a hunt, and I'll make sure you get first right of refusal. I figure that, and a chained blackbear to a tree for you, will bring you success.

I'll take you under my wing young grasshopper...

Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!