Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Snowshoe hares low cycle year?

  1. #1

    Default Snowshoe hares low cycle year?

    In Eureka, for the past few years, you couldn't hardly step off the trail without tripping over a rabbit (hare). Nothing this year!! Anyone know if it is at the bottom of their population cycle? Or does anyone know a good place to hunt them this year? Thanks.

  2. #2
    Member BRWNBR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Big Lake
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    If it is a low year, any good place won't be for long.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NorthWest Alaska
    Posts
    3,638

    Default

    Dependds on animals and conditions. rabbits often out eat themselfs, but other factors can change that, such as here at Noorvik, our Kobuk Delta was 12 feet above normal all the Summer of 2012, and our Rabbits were forced outta the willows and up on the tundra till freeze up and Im sure they were eaten up and had no warrens, hence no Rabbits in any good quantity. The upside is that they will be commin back eventually, with all the food grown back and predators gone/left due to lack of prey.......
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

    "Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    2 mi east of 'Halfmoon creek"
    Posts
    831

    Default

    Snowshoe population has bottomed out around Cantwell and north, had hares in the yard the past 4 years,,, gone now, some pockets.

    Been plenty of studies on the 10 year 'cycle', some back in the 1800's with Hudson fur traders, they kept eye on hare pop's and lynx
    & other pred's catches.

  5. #5

    Default

    I sure hope so. My fruit trees really took a beating these last few years. I've been doing my part and killing everyone that showed his face in my yard!

  6. #6
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    2 mi east of 'Halfmoon creek"
    Posts
    831

    Default

    Good link,,,

    Must be tough life, bucks always in rut, running & rutting, does always doezing and gushing out little furballs that are in rut and doezing on &on......

  8. #8

    Default

    Good Article......I wish they would have put the date (year) on the article.

  9. #9
    Member Trouthead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Where the wind is born
    Posts
    103

    Default

    Last paragraph says 22 November 2007 was when it first came out.
    Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •