Thread: 162 gr. interlock in 7mm Rem. Mag.

Default 162 gr. interlock in 7mm Rem. Mag.

I have shot a 140 gr. bullet in my 7 mags for years for deer size game with very good results. I have a few boxes of 162 gr. interlocks on the bench that I bought before things got out of hand with shooting supplies so I decided to work up a load for one of my rifles with this bullet. I also have a couple cans of RL 22 that I don't use much so I decided to use this as my powder. I loaded 62.0 gr RL-22 behind this bullet and it grouped under 1 inch at 100 yards and had no over pressure signs. I had a limited time to shoot today so I did not set up my conograph. My question is how fast do I need this bullet moving to give good results on deer size game. I will shoot again in a few days and check the speed of my bullet and post the results. I have not hunted with a bullet this heavy in a 7 mag and was just wondering what speed I need with this bullet for it to perform well.

The book says 62.9 RL-22 is max load at 3000 fps MV. I would think that bullet would expand reliably down to about 1800 fps impact velocity, and that you might get more damage than desirable at the top end.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Paul Mauser produced the first "small bore" high velocity military 7mm rifle, the 7x57 or 7mm Mauser. The original bullet was 173 grns @ nearly 2200 fps, and the Boers used it to harvest all the game on the African continent; and it was used also successfully in several wars. So to hunt animals the size of deer, your rifle should launch your 162 grn projectile at the same velocity of a 7mm Mauser or greater. The 7mmRM should have no problem acheiving this velocity.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I speculate that is plenty velocity for that bullet, prob close to 3000 fps.

It's a cup & core bullet with the lock ring, so my only concern would be if it blew up at close range on heavy Resistance, as in BEAR.

I think that must be a good load you got there. Good it's 162 grain stedda 140.

I use 160 grain Nosler PTs in my 7 mags. I haven't shot a lotta game, but they're impressive.

For cup & core bullet, I'd prefer a 175 grain, but with the shortage who can be choosey?

SOTN

Email Senator Begich:
    Thank You for writing. While Senator Begich continues to work to resolve this unnecessary government shutdown, the response to your message may be delayed
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I've a very good friend that uses that bullet in his 7 RUM (mv 3300+ fps) and has had excellent success on deer and hogs--though he admits that they can be a bit destructive on edible meat. Wouldn't be my choice, but he makes it work.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by Cast Iron View Post
    My question is how fast do I need this bullet moving to give good results on deer size game. I will shoot again in a few days and check the speed of my bullet and post the results.
    Ought to be dandy in that velocity realm, and plenty of remaining vel to really reach out and tag deer at longer ranges. Basically you can kill em as far as you can hit em with no concern for poor expansion.

Back before moving to AK my standard bullet in the 7 mag for open country deer and elk was the 154 grain Hornady spire point on top of enough 4831 to give it 3150fps. That pill is more tender than the Interlock, I'm sure. Things got a little messy with hits inside 50 yards, but long as I didn't get sloppy with my POI, meat loss wasn't any worse than Partitions.

The taxidermist I worked for back in the late 60's made a month-long antelope-only safari to Africa and came back with more premium heads than I can remember. Next year he came up here to Alaska and whanged a moose, a bou, a Dall and a griz in three weeks. Same load in his 7 mag for all that, and in fact he's the one that got me started shooting the 154 Spire. I'd be proud of your load and confident.

I have a buddy Andy who used that load she is a flat shooting round and leaves a heck of exit hole in a Sitka black tail.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

My book tells a different story. It is the fourth edition Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading. It lists 66.0 grs. as a max load at 3000 fps for RL22 and 56.3 as a starting load. The load I have should be in the mid 2800 fps range according to what my book says.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    The book says 62.9 RL-22 is max load at 3000 fps MV. I would think that bullet would expand reliably down to about 1800 fps impact velocity, and that you might get more damage than desirable at the top end.
    I was quoting the new Hornady 9th Edition:Attachment 74459
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

That is a big difference in the loads to be from the same company. Thank you for posting it iofthetaiga. I started with this load thinking it was a mild load. I fired one round and checked the case for pressure signs and found none. I was wondering if I needed to speed it up more to get the most results out of my bullet. I will shoot it through the conograph in the next few days and post the results. This is powder and bullets that have been collecting dust for several years so I thought I would get some use from them. Loading them to shoot in a nice Mod. 70 Winchester with vari x 3 Leupold 4.5X14. Thanks.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

That is a big difference in the loads to be from the same company. Thank you for posting it iofthetaiga. I started with this load thinking it was a mild load. I fired one round and checked the case for pressure signs and found none. I was wondering if I needed to speed it up more to get the most results o ut of my bullet. I will shoot it through the conograph in the next few days and post the results. This is powder and bullets that have been collecting dust for several years so I thought I would get some use from them. Loading them to shoot in a nice Mod. 70 Winchester with vari x 3 Leupold 4.5X14. Thanks.
    Good idea. I don't put much stock in loading data that has the velocities at the top. Still it's probably more honest than the other kind.

Pressure signs can tell you, if you have a problem with pressure, but it won't tell you if you don't.

However, I think if the velocity is wrong, that's a pressure sign you should pay attention to.

Seems like most folks think they need a 300 mag, but I think a 7 mag is plenty gun. At the least, for my purposes.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Got to shoot today. Average for this load was 2873 fps. with a high of 2903 fps. and a low of 2849 fps. with a few more rounds between. Rifle is shooting good at just under 1 inch at 100 yards. Would you shoot it as it is or try to improve on it. It is not showing any signs of being over pressure and I have saw this gun shoot 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards with other loads. I think this load will work for what I need it for. I have just been used to hunting with a lighter bullet traveling faster and a 7 mag. at 2873 fps just don't seem right.

Got to shoot today. Average for this load was 2873 fps. with a high of 2903 fps. and a low of 2849 fps. with a few more rounds between. Rifle is shooting good at just under 1 inch at 100 yards. Would you shoot it as it is or try to improve on it. It is not showing any signs of being over pressure and I have saw this gun shoot 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards with other loads. I think this load will work for what I need it for. I have just been used to hunting with a lighter bullet traveling faster and a 7 mag. at 2873 fps just don't seem right.
    I'd lean on it a little harder, though in the end the extra fps will not matter for most hunting.........
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

...a 7 mag. at 2873 fps just don't seem right.
    For me, that's the realm of a 280/284/280 Improved with 162 grain bullets. My expectation for a 7 mag with 162's is in the realm of +/- 3100. Big dif, whether you can achieve it with RL-22 or another.

Thanks. That's what I wanted to hear. I will work some more.