Thread: Hat trick!

Default Hat trick!

Went out this morning. Not hot and heavy but plenty of birds about. Didnt happen to see any mythological sky beast aka. goose around and I was looking hard. I managed a limit and was pretty much on fire with the gun this morning. The first 3 rounds I fired all hit birds DOA. We weren't in the best spot so we moved our spread and started over. About 2 hours after that the most amazing thing that will ever happen to me while waterfowl hunting happened.

A flock of 5 GWT came screaming right at me over the decoy spread. I wait patiently...... they flare about 10-15 yds out, fatal mistake the way I was shooting today.... 1 shot 3 of the 5 birds fall dead into the water! I couldnt even muster a second shot because my mouth was open in amazement. I wish I could have got it on video although I had two witnesses so at least I got that going for me. I know they were only teal but I still thought it was cool.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    Went out this morning. Not hot and heavy but plenty of birds about. Didnt happen to see any mythological sky beast aka. goose around and I was looking hard. I managed a limit and was pretty much on fire with the gun this morning. The first 3 rounds I fired all hit birds DOA. We weren't in the best spot so we moved our spread and started over. About 2 hours after that the most amazing thing that will ever happen to me while waterfowl hunting happened.

A flock of 5 GWT came screaming right at me over the decoy spread. I wait patiently...... they flare about 10-15 yds out, fatal mistake the way I was shooting today.... 1 shot 3 of the 5 birds fall dead into the water! I couldnt even muster a second shot because my mouth was open in amazement. I wish I could have got it on video although I had two witnesses so at least I got that going for me. I know they were only teal but I still thought it was cool.
    Nice! Sometimes the stars and the moon align just right and every shot makes contact. Yeah thinking watching 3 birds fall would have been enough of a distraction for me also, to not even have fired another shot.
    Jesse
    HR SHR JR's Gunny Dog "Ermey"
    SR JR's Marsh Mangling Mindy
    SR JR's LNR Thicket Thrashing Trixie

Scotch tripple, well done sir!
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Yes indeed.. Happens allot with teal.. Tight patterns of birds when moving. Great shooting brother.. Can't wait to get back out myself...

Nice shooting!!! I'm just glad to hear there are some gwt still around. Were any of them colored up? My observations are that the teal are some of the first to migrate... If they're still around there should still be some good hunts to come.
    “The perils of duck hunting are great - especially for the duck.” Walter Cronkite

Quote Originally Posted by akdodger View Post
    Nice shooting!!! I'm just glad to hear there are some gwt still around. Were any of them colored up? My observations are that the teal are some of the first to migrate... If they're still around there should still be some good hunts to come.
    Surprisingly not much color. I was expecting some after shooting a nice green head and seeing duckhunter01 take a nice widgeon with color a few weeks ago. There were still a decent amount of teal about. We saw several sets of them. Few goldeneye some buffle head that were colored up, mallards (mostly hens), lots of widgeon and scaup as well as about 60 swans. Still a decent amount of birds around. The weather was still surprisingly warm as well. I ended up taking the gloves and hat off around 11.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.