Thread: Which Shotshells for Geese

Default Which Shotshells for Geese

Haven't bought goose specific shells in years been shooting up all my older stuff first. It seems that much of the older style nontoxic shot other than steel is no longer being manufactured. Price on the Hevi-shot seems high to me at 5 dollars a shell. Can anyone tell me anything about the Hevi-metal or the Kent tungsten shells or others, that they have had good results on geese with.
    Jesse
    HR SHR JR's Gunny Dog "Ermey"
    SR JR's Marsh Mangling Mindy
    SR JR's LNR Thicket Thrashing Trixie

I have shot Hevi-Metal a few times on snow geese (2s and BBs). It seemed to be slightly better than 3" BB steel, but I didn't notice a huge difference. Personally, I'd just shoot steel.

You might also consider some of the newer steel loads, such as Winchester's Blind Side or Remington Hypersonic. I've only used those loads on ducks, but I have heard good things from goose hunters about them.

I can't believe I'm going to say this, and DucksandDogs is going to give me all kinds of I told you so, and I'm never going to hear the end of it. But I like the Federal Black Cloud. I've done some pretty impressive shots with it, and it knocks birds down hard, I've used it on a couple of hunts an it impressed me. I won't buy them over my blue box federals, but I keep a few 3 1/2 black cloud shells on me just in case a goose or crane flys over. Kinda spendy at close to $30 a box, but it's for a box of 25 instead of 10 like the bismuith, hevi-shot, or tungston so it doesn't hurt as bad to buy them.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Most if the new ammo is pretty good steel.. Try tightening your pattern one up or go for head shots. Bump up to BB's if not already shooting them. Most of the birds are not that fat yet.. It's just part of the game.. I have also had good results with the black cloud ammo and noticed more birds dying quicker with it then other commonly used loads. Who knows.. Just be glad you are getting on them.. I have been chasing them up and down the river and it is starting to piss me off!! Lol. Right side.. They fly left. Left they fly right.. Eventually we will connect.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

I believe this is your answer:

Black CloudŽ FS SteelŽ Snow Goose

Also created for higher speeds, and sized to take down all types of geese in spring or fall. Available in BB or #2.
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

Just got back from goose and brandt hunting in cold bay. Definately bb shot. If its windy conditions, heavy loads. 1 3/8 oz. i shoot 3 1/2 mod, and the old man shoots 3 in imp cyl. He killed just as many as i did so choke isnt a big factor.

Years of shooting big honkers in the lower 48, I got seriously hooked on Kent Tungsten Matrix, the 3 1/2-inch, 2 ounce #2's. Frankly they kill even better than lead while giving lots tighter patterns. Even with #2's rather than something larger, I almost never recover pellets from birds. They penetrate like crazy and don't seem to drag a lot of feathers with them like lead. Maybe that's why they penetrate so well. The extra pattern density from being able to get great kills with #2's really seems to pay off. A couple of ounces of #2's is a whole lot of pellets to work with.

Not cheap at all, but in this case I feel I get what I pay for and more.

Nothing better than the original Hevi shot in #4's or 2's.... Killed a many a Canada with 4's... Turkeys too...

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Years of shooting big honkers in the lower 48, I got seriously hooked on Kent Tungsten Matrix, the 3 1/2-inch, 2 ounce #2's. Frankly they kill even better than lead while giving lots tighter patterns. Even with #2's rather than something larger, I almost never recover pellets from birds. They penetrate like crazy and don't seem to drag a lot of feathers with them like lead. Maybe that's why they penetrate so well. The extra pattern density from being able to get great kills with #2's really seems to pay off. A couple of ounces of #2's is a whole lot of pellets to work with.

Not cheap at all, but in this case I feel I get what I pay for and more.
    I liked the old federal tungsten but they don't appear to be available anymore. I looked for the Kent tungsten at Sportsmans and 3 bears and no luck. I bought a box Hevi-Metal in 3" BB will see how they perform. If the shells will make clean kills I don't mind paying a little extra for them just not crazy about 5 dollar shells such as the Hevi-shot.
    Jesse
    HR SHR JR's Gunny Dog "Ermey"
    SR JR's Marsh Mangling Mindy
    SR JR's LNR Thicket Thrashing Trixie

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

If you can let them get close inside 40yds 2 3/4 4 steel works, my buddy uses 2 3/4 2 steel. If your going to pass shoot or hunting with a partner who is using 3 1/2, I use 3 inch heavy metal 2s. VFgrace didnt have 2 3/4 heavy metal 4s. My go to shell today is Heavy metal 3inch 2s or 2 3/4 4s.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com