Thread: Trapping Indian/Birdcreek area

Default Trapping Indian/Birdcreek area

Hi everyone.

I was down at the new trapping store in eagle river talking to the guy down there and he told me that you could trap around Perters creek. So that made me think about the Indian/bird creek area my parents and little brothers live out there, and what you know you can trap out there. My question that I have is there anyone out there trapping don't want to be trapping in the same area as someone else. And do you think it is wise to try and get the coyotes and lynx or should I just stick to ermine, marten, mink. Just wanted to get your guys thoughts don't want to catch a dog in a trap and make the papers.

Supporting Member

Check with the folks in the South Central Chapter of the Alaska Trappers Association (SCCATA) out of Anchorage. They might know who would be trapping that area (if anyone is and I would bet someone is). Send me a PM and I will give you the name and number for the SCCATA president.
    If I was trapping that area, I would try for whatever is in season. If you are worried about catching dogs running loose while pursuing coyotes, fox and lynx, I would recommend snares over foot-holds. JMO.

I have been trapping bird creek valley for 6 years, quite a few people in there with dogs. If you decide to trap there make sure you are away from the main trails.

I too have been trapping Bird Valley for about 5 years. I've tried several areas within that valley with different animals seeming to be more prevalent in each area I've tried. Looking at a little different line this year in BV. I sold the sled & wheeler, so will be on foot unless something changes. I've seen sign that there's another trapper or two working it, but I bet if you do some homework you can find some room out there to get away from the crowd. Do you have access to a sled/wheeler? Don't forget - to trap within Chugach SP, you need to register with F&G, they'll have you tag your traps (most likely with DLN.)

Keep in touch - don't know if I can receive PMs yet...