Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scumbag Hunting Guide

Default Scumbag Hunting Guide

http://www.adn.com/2013/10/10/311937...istory-of.html

How does this guy get away with this for so long? This sort of thing gives big game guiding in Alaska a black eye.

How can an out of state hunter looking for a reputable guide, end up paying good money to a scumbag like this?

saw the post and thought this was about Jim Shockey, my bad...
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Wow, I'd call him a scumbag but not a guide.

He gets busted numerous times, has three planes confiscated and keeps going? I can't imagine the gall that would take.

The first charge/conviction was for guiding without a license. He is a poacher, he just conned people into "guided hunts" from what I can gather. As hunters we need to police ourselves and hold no mercy for those that do this sort of abuse of our hunting rights and laws IMHO.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

That boy likes to hunt, fly and drive but he ain't much on licenses.
    He's a renegade!

I wonder if there might be more that the feds could go after him for. Considering that he has been "guiding" without any license, then what are the odds he hasn't been paying income taxes on his "guiding" business? Just speculation, but could help account for why he could afford 3 planes being siezed over the years as well as other equipment plus fines.

He is definitely a renegade habitual violator. Glad he is not putting that energy into being a serial killer.

Quote Originally Posted by 257wby View Post
    He's a renegade!
    He's a criminal.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Yea, he's a renegade, just like Palin is a maverick.......You guys sound almost like he's your hero or something!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    Yea, he's a renegade, just like Palin is a maverick.......You guys sound almost like he's your hero or something!!!
    A renegade is someone who is traitorous; therefore, this guy is a traitor to the hunting community. Since this is a hunting forum, I related to it as a hunter. Sorry you take other people's alternative opinions so personal.

Yes, youre right about the official definition of course, but it is used as a slang just like the word "rebel"....

no worry, I dont take yours or anyone elses opinions personal, because I know exactly what an opinion is worth.

The title of the article is misleading. He's NOT a guide. That's one of the reasons he was charged and convicted.

Default Semantics...

He's not a licensed guide. That's one of the reasons he was charged and convicted.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Seems to me if an ankle bracelet won't hold him a prison cell would. When he got out in 30 yrs he would be a little long in the tooth to traverse the back country, as a "guide".
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

give him a slap on the wrist and make him get his license

Quote Originally Posted by iyouktug View Post
    give him a slap on the wrist and make him get his license
    Looking for someone to guide your winter caribou hunt in unit 13?

Quote Originally Posted by Meanderthal View Post
    Looking for someone to take your poorly disguised bait again?

Fixed it for you....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Default Guide?

I actually am self guided on my hunts,.. I will give this guy the benefit of the dout, maybe he was just struggling in this broken economy, at least he ain't doin it up like Robert Hansen.

Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    http://www.adn.com/2013/10/10/311937...istory-of.html

How does this guy get away with this for so long? This sort of thing gives big game guiding in Alaska a black eye.

How can an out of state hunter looking for a reputable guide, end up paying good money to a scumbag like this?
    Well big state, few cops. Also word of mouth...if hunters get a successful cheap hunt they tell others. There needs to be a better way such as a patch folks wear only given out by the state with the year clearly marked...or something people can easily see and know.

Ron
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    Well big state, few cops. Also word of mouth...if hunters get a successful cheap hunt they tell others. There needs to be a better way such as a patch folks wear only given out by the state with the year clearly marked...or something people can easily see and know.

Ron
    Wouldn't a quick internet search by the client have revealed his past and no guide license for this guy?
    Should we hold the clients responsible as well? Don't know the answer, but if something seems to good to be true, then it usually is.
    BK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast