Thread: .243 Winchester factory ammo advise needed........

Default .243 Winchester factory ammo advise needed........

I have zero interest in reloading for this cartridge. I could use advise on what is the current "Factory" loaded .243 Win. ammo with the highest Ballistic Coefficient, in the weight range of 85 gr. up to 100 gr.

The cost of the ammo is not important as the firearm it will be used in is special application.

Thank You.

If the cost isn't important I would look into the Nosler Ammo, especially tipped with accubonds. Plus if you don't want to reload, I'll buy the brass off of you.

My usuall go to for factory is Federal, topped with nosler bullets. But that Nosler stuff has performed really well for me.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

There is a 95 grain made by Hornady (I think) that was working really well on the long distance stuff if that's what you're doing. I'm building up my .243 right now to try out that thousand yard range next spring. From what I've read, the 95 grn works the best

You CROOK, Now that you stole that .300 RUM from a nice OLD MAN, and left him with just his .243 Win. YOU should feel ashamed of yourself. Just kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    If the cost isn't important I would look into the Nosler Ammo, especially tipped with accubonds. Plus if you don't want to reload, I'll buy the brass off of you.

My usuall go to for factory is Federal, topped with nosler bullets. But that Nosler stuff has performed really well for me.

That Nosler ammo is outstanding. It's about all I've hunted with for the last 6 or 7 years. Accuracy and terminal performance is perfect.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    I've had great results with factory Federal Premium, under MOA in my .375 H&H and similar with a .300 WIN MAG.

Default Try the Federal 100 grain soft points

I bought some Federals and a high end box of Hornady for my daughters antelope hunt a few years back (Looking at box now). I paid 10-12 bucks for the Federals, and about 30ish for the Hornady. My plan was to get the gun on paper (if needed) with the cheap stuff and get Hornady's going after. I'm here to tell you out of that Savage 243, I cannot believe the groups that cheap federal stuff puts out. I still have about 15 of those original Hornadys due to the fact I cannot get past how good those federals fly.

That year my daughter had a nice buck at about 100 or so yds, and every time we'd set up, he'd move. We got on him later in the day and he was about 2-250 yds out on top of a doe (weird waiting for him to get down off the doe with your daughter) and when he got down, she drilled him. "She was like where did he go?" I said down, he did't kick.

I know it's an antelope we're talking here, but man that guns shoots. I still use those shells on coyotes now and then and I won't bore you with long range shot stories.

Take care, give them a go.

A few weeks ago, I chronoed the following form my 9-yr-old son's 22" 243:

.243 BARNES VorTx 80G TTSX B.C. 0.331
    3,100 fps
    3,079 fps
    3,086 fps
    3,072 fps
    3,070 fps
    3,072 fps
    3,065 fps
    AVG: 3,078 fps

Pretty consistent.