Thread: Have you had a hip replacement?

Default Have you had a hip replacement?

I've been told that I'm going to be in line for dual replacements in the near future. I have 3mm left. Just wonder how your hunting abilities have been changed? Can you still climb mountains and carry a moose quarter?

I would also like to hear form ak residents about how you are effected by the cold with them.

Being told this at 49 years old is not what I wanted to hear and when moving to AK is coming close to a reality finally.

Any thoughts or insights would be appreciated.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Had one in 2009 at 47 years old due to a previous accident. Best thing I ever did. I don't notice any problems getting around at all. The only time cold bothers it is when I sit on frozen ground ie. coyote calling.

No, but having worked around orthopedics, you should look into the anterior hip replacements. I've heard good things about them and the recovery and long term prognosis is better than the traditional way of hip replacements. Basically they go in from the front instead of the side.

A friend had a hip replaced in his mid-50s. He played a lot of sports in high school, college, and later in life. He deliberately put off the surgery for years, assuming it would sideline him from the things he liked to do - not so much sports by then, but hunting, fishing, and being active with his kids.

Eight weeks after hip replacement surgery, his was out fishing with me on the boat and he said if he'd known he was going to feel that good, he would have done it years earlier.

A lot of people say that...that they wish they would have done it sooner or that it was the best thing they ever did. There are always the bad stories too but the number one determining factor on how well you do after, is how good you are about following your rehab. If you do what you're suppose to then you'll do very well with it.

I took a guy hunting caribou out on the north slope this fall with a titanium hip. We put in about 45 miles hiking on the tundra. He got along just fine with it, no complaints of pain or inconvenience at all. His was squeaking some though. It seemed odd to me but he said that when he works it hard it'll squeak. He's glad he got it done.

What is your warranty on the new hip? Don't laugh; its my understanding that a hip replacement guarantees one thing in life for you and that's that the new hip will need to be replaced after X number of years.

I haven't had a hip, but I have had more than one operation where I was informed afterward, rather than beforehand, what my future options might or must be, as a result. Each time I thought that it would have been a good thing to know beforehand.

Get it done. Wish I had done it sooner. I wasn't even 40 and it was like being 18 again.

No problems. Every now and then things might ache like after a sheep trip but nothing out of the ordinary and I was sore in other areas before my hips ever started bothering me. I was sheep hunting the same year I had my surgery. 7 months actually. Packed out a lot of moose since I had mine done. Packed out a moose for a friend a few weeks ago and I was fine. Doc told me that all they could 'guarantee' was 10-15 years on the hips but that the ones I had received should last 20-30 years if I don't abuse them by picking up running as a hobby. They just don't have any real world data on them yet.

I have not changed my life style at all. When it comes to aerobic exercise I do everything except run. I lift weights including leg press and squats. You can run but for things like basketball games, baseball, pickup football, or running from charging bears so they get your friend first.

The other thing is that each hip material has its pros and cons. What ever you do, do not get an all ceramic hip. There is a high probability it will squeak. I've heard it and even though its cool the first time you hear it, I imagine it would get annoying quick. Probably wouldn't help stalking at all. How loud is it you ask? I can hear it from about 15 yards away on two people I know that have it.

As far as going anterior, do your homework. Its all the rage but the people that do get it are 4 times more likely to have complications. I don't even think its endorsed by Mayo. I could be wrong on that one or it could have change. Also there is a great chance of knicking an artery and then you got problems on the table. Its rare but it can happen. The normal surgery will run you about 8 weeks with restrictions. But a friend of mine had it done and he was off restrictions at 6 weeks.

See multiple docs and get their opinions. Go on hip forums and see what people are saying. Try to find a doc that only does hips or hips/knees. Lot of orthos can do it but it isn't their specialty. Go with a doc that does high volume numbers too.

If you get metal you get a cool medical device card that helps at metal detectors at checkpoints like the airports or courthouses.

Hope this helps

Best thing that I ever did. Before the hip replacement I was about maxed out hiking slowly for a mile now I can not go out and hike all day uphill and down and my hip is the one thing that will not be sore. It is not effected at all by the cold.

Thanks ever so much for the responses and it helps. To honest this really scares the heck out of me!! I guess if I hadn't seen the pictures of what it really is it would be so bad. As hunters we have a better understanding of anatomy and dismembering animals and processing, thus de-jointing something just makes the thought of this worse.

Let me ask, is there anything that you wish you would have done different or asked that you didn't?

Again, thanks for all of the help.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Mine is all metal. The doc that did mine said it would be the longest lasting but that I could expect to have to have it redone in 15+/- years. Mine has a metal liner I believe, so the redo shouldn't be to big a deal providing I don't wear through the lining. I go in for a checkup every few years.

The only thing I can add is to search and find the best physician you can. If at all possibly go to a university hospital and get it done. Like said above, find someone that specializes in hips and not a catch all orthopedist that does everything. You want someone that does one thing extremely well and not a lot of things just ok.

Here's an article that talks about the risks/benefits of the anterior approach if you're interested. Good luck.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/0...-surgery/?_r=0

One more thing to consider is getting a spinal block vs.getting put clear under. You don't have the problems some people have associated with coming out of anesthesia. I've had 4 surgeries done with spinal blocks and I think it's the way to go. I've stayed awake for 3 and watched the doctors work, pretty interesting.

A buddy of mine put off having his hip replaced for several years. He was in constant agony and had to force himself to do anything. His mood was always bad because of the pain, but he would not do the surgery. It got so bad he could not even sleep despite heavy pain killers. He finally consented and got immediate relief after the surgery. He said that the post-op pain was not as bad as the pain from before the surgery. He too wishes he had done it when the doctor first recommended it. Don't wait. You are putting yourself, your family and friends through a bad situation that can be fixed. Do it now and you should be good to go next hunting season.

I have had mother,father and sons who have had hip and knee surgery. All are doing great and still playing sports, hunting ,fishing anything that they so desire. Get it done!! The advice that you have been getting here is great. I can only add that what you put into REHAB is what you'll get down the road. REHAB, REHAB, REHAB!!