Thread: Ice axe?

Default Ice axe?

I'm looking to add an ice axe to my gear but would like the handle to be 100-110cm. The problem is I can only find up to 90. Does anyone know of a company that custom makes ice axes or sells axes that size?

I use a petzl snowscopic. Its a telescoping ice axe. Barneys sells them, but i believed petzl has stopped making them so might wanna check to see if they have any left.

How sturdy are the telescoping axes? I would rather have a solid one so less chances of failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Quote Originally Posted by barber8605 View Post
    How sturdy are the telescoping axes? I would rather have a solid one so less chances of failure.

Ive never had any doubt in the sturdyness of it. It will flex a little bit but I regularly lean on it with my full weight and a heavy loaded pack and have yet to have an issue. Had it for about 3 years now.

I found a place that makes 100cm ones the website is smcgear.net and Barney's has a few of the telescoping ones left.

My hunting partner bought a 2 piece Black Diamond Ice Axe that was too short for him. I suggested that he use the 2 sections from his BD trekking poles. The 2 sections fit like a glove and he had an Ice Axe that was now plenty long. BD now is making a 3 piece that should be long enough.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I purchased the petzl snowscopic this summer and took it with me on my flyout sheep hunt. I was pleased with it and plan to use it/take it on my future sheep and goat hunts.

Any idea on why they are being discontinued?

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    My hunting partner bought a 2 piece Black Diamond Ice Axe that was too short for him. I suggested that he use the 2 sections from his BD trekking poles. The 2 sections fit like a glove and he had an Ice Axe that was now plenty long. BD now is making a 3 piece that should be long enough.
    Wasn't too short...just didn't go compact enough as a 3 piece would. Both the 2-piece and 3-piece got 140 CMs.

Quote Originally Posted by barber8605 View Post
    I'm looking to add an ice axe to my gear but would like the handle to be 100-110cm. The problem is I can only find up to 90. Does anyone know of a company that custom makes ice axes or sells axes that size?
    I still use an old original Stubai Aschenbrenner with an ash shaft. Mine is about 71-72 cm which is the perfect glacier/mountain trekking length for somebody 5'9"-6'... You must be extraordinarily tall!
    100-110cm shafts were not very common even back in the 70's when longer shafts were still more common. I'm not aware of anyone who makes one that long today, but if you contact Stubai directly, you might be able to get them to build you one of their current models with an extra long shaft. http://www.stubai-bergsport.com/kont...VuZ2xpc2g.html Otherwise, SMC may be the best bet, if you want a fixed shaft. I can't speak to telescopic models; can't imagine using such a thing.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I'm 5'10" and not looking for a 110 anymore I need to lower my search to 90-100. It will be used as a walking stick along with a trekking pole. The 100 is right at my hip which I feel is ideal for me. I have a buddy going to Seattle and is going to stop by smc for me.

I'm 6'4 and found the Petzl Snowscopic to fit the bill as far as height went though I stumbled on a Stubai at Wiggys. Unfortunately my short window left me unable to make a swap before hitting the field.

Both should work well.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

How do you self-arrest with a telescoping ice axe? Or one made out of ski pole sections, for that matter....I'm having a hard time visualizing that...

Generally the steeper the terrain, the shorter the length. I also added a universal wrist strap to the handle for such occasions to aide in the event.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

My first use on Kodiak. Was a bit apprehensive on the length but it worked great for hiking up and descending. Axe head was great when working my way uphill through the Kodiak bananas.

Added Chalet strap from REI.

Check with Marc Taylor at Wiggys. He carries Stubai telescoping axes. 336-1330.

I've used 90, 100 and 110. I'm five eight and the 100 and 90 work great. I've seen walking poles fold in half and can't bring myself to want one. My full piece walking axes are awesome. Longer is a big help goin down hill, shorter is a big help going up. Find a happy medium. The ice axe head is also great for digging out the ground for a flat spot to camp!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I recall hearing of Black Bears being killed with ice axe........center of skull.

Lol ya I remember that story too!! Steel axe head and I'm sure you could do it!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Look at the Black Diamond Whippet. Might be just the ticket for what you need and much lighter, I use them Backcountry skiing.

I picked up an older rei 90cm for $20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk