Thread: Homer AC meeting synopsis

Default Homer AC meeting synopsis

Had our first meeting of this season last night, proposals addressed were BOF lower cook inlet stuff.
    our area AB Jason Herreman gave us some numbers on various hunts and I thought I would pass them on.
    for moose, there were 178 taken in the general season, 31 illegal of which 4 or 5 were "broken" forks. If there is a jump in brokem/altered antlers there was discussion of making any broken antler illegal, as was done in SE.
    in the cow hunt there were 22 taken, 3 were illegal. 2 were calves, and one was taken with a 4 wheeler during one of the no wheeler periods. Great to see our FWP troopers out there!
    Nearly 100 moose were taken in 15c, 30 in a, about 20in b and 2 in gmu7.
    for brown bears there have been 38 taken in the registration hunt and 23 were DLP or road kill. Most were taken in 15A, 4 in 15C, and 9 in GMU7. 7 is closed, and though there has been discussion of closing the hunt In 15 no action is pending.
    black bear harvest stands at about 400,with over half coming from 15c, and the majority of those being taken by non-residents on the outer coast.
    Our park ranger Roger MacCambell was at the meeting, and he related that overall his trail crews were seeing fewer bears than customary, black bear sightings in the park were down, but hunting pressure was up. Jason also reported that anectodal hunter information was that there were not the bears on the south side of the bay that we have had in the last few years, and the transporters were reporting harder more crowded hunting on the outer coast
    Fish and game is planning to do some bear population studies on the Kenai starting next spring.
    in the 3 Kenai caribou hunts 25 animals have been taken, 7 from the killey river hunt, one from the fox and the rest from the Kenai mountain hunt. Census numbers are down for the Kenai mountain hunt, and the department will be collaring some animals up there in the next few weeks in hopes of determining more about their movements and mortality rates and causes. The amount of 001 permits next year will be less than we are used to, more in line with the killey river hunt.
    47 goats have been taken on the Kenai, with about 28% nannies.
    Sheep hunting was a bust, with 7 animals take most in 7. Census numbers have been falling about 50% with each census over the last few years. Only one or two were taken in 15c.

Our next meeting will be the second Tuesday of November at the NERRS building on Kachemak drive, 6 pm. We will finish reviewing BOF proposals and may start on BOG issues
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Thanks for the report, Dave. With regards to Unit 7 being closed for the registration brown bear hunt, is that for the regulatory year? Will that unit not be open next spring? I had hoped to do a backcountry ski-based hunt in Unit 7 in April, so just curious if that plan is a bust.

Agree with Brian, is the closure for 7 posed somewhere? I didn't see anything on the EO page. No mention by the bio when I checked in a unit 7 bear on Tuesday...

Thanks for the recap.

My mistake, either in what I heard or what was said.
    No closure in 7, none anticipated.
    There may (or may not, at the whim of the BOG) be a 70 bear cap, but it would not come into play until Jan 2014, so would not have an effect this year. Also, the cap would be calendar year, not regulatory year.

Dave, what is the Homer AC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Homer Fish and Game Advisory committee

Ahh, thanks!