Thread: Concealed Carry Permit

Default Concealed Carry Permit

Is it true that the concealed carry permit law was repealed? I was told over the weekend that there was no longer a requirement to obtain a permit. Does anyone know whether or not this is true?

Thanks, Jdub

You do not need a ccw to carry concealed in Alaska, but DEFINATELY read up where you can and cannot carry. On top of that if you come in contact with any LEO inform them immediately you are packing. There is still no excuse to not go down to AK tactical and sign up for one of their ccw classes. Believe it or not the class focuses on marksmanship, safety, and specific situations that may arise. That class really improved my marksmanship by leaps and bounds. I was highly impressed. The instructors were great and I want to continue and move onto their advanced training classes.

After I completed the course I now am a firm believer that a ccw should be required for anyone that wants to carry concealed. Some of the people in my class who considered themselves experienced shooters scared me half to death with their stories! Complete lack of safety, brandishing weapons, looking down the barrel to see if it was loaded, and constantly handling guns with their finger on the trigger were often topics of the day. I couldn't believe these people were carrying concealed on a daily basis, it boggled my mind. It sends shivers down my spine just thinking about it.

I carry my SA XD45c in a crossbreed IWB holster. I can wear a T shirt without the gun even being seen. I am sure there are a select few that are very familiar with guns that can see the print thougth. Not even my wife knows when I carry my handgun. If you want to carry concealed try an IWB holster. It takes awhile to get used to, but when you get used to the IWB is compeltely worth it.

WG (or anyone else):
    Does a NEW ccw permit exempt you from the background check when you purchase over the counter? I heard they don't do exemptions anymore.

Tim

You can pay an extra $30, I believe it is, and the state will put a nifty NICS EXEMPT sticker on the ccw permit. I didn't go for this option, because it's no big deal for me to fill out a NICS sheet real quick. But, man, aren't some of these gun stores a pain to even work with.

Default Not NICS Exempt

New CCWs or renewals are no longer to be NICS Exempt. The state says it is the feds, but that is not true. We did some research and it is still fine with the Feds. Thanks Frank.

Here in NY we stopped doing the Background checks... they said that it wasnt doing anything so why spend the money on it. I had thought it was nation wide...
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

Default It might come back..

Took a CCW course a week or so ago, the instructor was fairly certain (citing insider type info) that there would be a push to reinstate a CCW permit requirement (basically so people carrying would have some training/education) in the near future. Not sure how much validity there is to it... has anyone heard similar?

Default just renewed

and they never offered me a $30 fee to get NICS exempt. they said it changed a few years ago. was nice being exempt. bought another beneli the other and took forever. I was pissed. but whatever. to me would have been worth the $30 extra. But like i said nobody mentioned it and they made sure I knew it was going to be non exempt. But like people are saying it is worth the class and worth having. some cities in alaska can require you to have a permit. All i know is that anchorage changed. So simpler just to get the permit and take a class. Then you are covered everywhere in the state, plus other states recognize our licenses.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

For the NICS, you hafta get another picture and set of finger prints. That is required by the Feds. every 5 years.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    and they never offered me a $30 fee to get NICS exempt. they said it changed a few years ago. was nice being exempt. bought another beneli the other and took forever. I was pissed. but whatever. to me would have been worth the $30 extra. But like i said nobody mentioned it and they made sure I knew it was going to be non exempt. But like people are saying it is worth the class and worth having. some cities in alaska can require you to have a permit. All i know is that anchorage changed. So simpler just to get the permit and take a class. Then you are covered everywhere in the state, plus other states recognize our licenses.

Sir, you are correct about NICS exemptions but are incorrect with regards to state preemtion laws. No town or village can pass gun laws stronger than state law per the preemption measure that passed in 2000.

(AS 18.65.778) "Municipal Preemption" does not allow _ __cities or villages to prohibit the carrying of concealed handguns the old statutes that allowed cities and villages to vote out the carrying of concealed weapons was 18.65.780 & 18.65.785 and both were repealed on August 29, 2000 in Senate HB 294.

Alaska Concealed Handgun Permits
    HB 102, signed by the Governor on June 11, 2003 changes Alaska Statute 11.61.220 to allow anyone 21 or older, who may legally carry a firearm to also carry it concealed without having to obtain a special permit. The possession of a firearm at courthouses, school yards, bars and domestic violence shelters will continue to be prohibited. Alaskans may still obtain a concealed carry permit if they want reciprocity with other states or want to continue to be exempt from background checks when purchasing firearms.
    A person 21 or older may be charged with carrying a concealed deadly weapon under AS 11.61.220 if s/he

fails to immediately inform a peace officer that s/he is carrying a concealed handgun
    fails to allow the officer to secure the weapon or fails to secure the weapon at the direction of the peace officer, or
    carries the weapon concealed within another personís residence, unless s/he has first obtained the express permission of an adult residing there, whether or not the person has a concealed handgun permit.
    The effective date of this law change is September 9th, 2003.

Special Notice:
    The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) has informed the Department of Public Safety that effective June 1, 2006, they will no longer complete National Instant Check System (NICS) checks subsequent to the processing of fingerprint cards for the purposes of obtaining an Alaska Concealed Handgun Permit (ACHP).

This means that Concealed Handgun Permits issued after June 1, 2006 will contain the notation "NOT NICS EXEMPT", and a permit holder will be required to undergo a NICS background check at the time of any firearm purchase.

Permits issued prior to June 1, 2006 and indicating "NICS EXEMPT" may still be used in lieu of the permit holder undergoing a NICS check at the time of a firearm purchase, for the life of the permit.

We have requested that the FBI reconsider this decision; should they do so, we will once again be able to issue "NICS EXEMPT" Alaska Concealed Handgun Permits.

The Department of Public Safety will not accept the submission of fingerprints for ACHP renewals after June 1, 2006. However, state law still requires a fingerprint based background check prior to the issuance of a new concealed handgun permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    For the NICS, you hafta get another picture and set of finger prints. That is required by the Feds. every 5 years.

Smitty of the North
    Please read the "special notice" near the bottom of my previous post with regards to ATFE exemptions.

Default I never known it changed for the whole state

All I heard in the news was Anchorage. People still seem like they don't really know the new law. So I just renewed my permit and always have it with me no matter what. Thanks for the correction, and helping my understaning of the new law.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Thank You Flintlock:

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I just recently went through Steve McDaniel's CCW class last month. It certainly was full of good information, and I learned alot. The range part of the class is pretty basic, as mentioned before. It focuses on basics of handguns, and marksmanship. Some of the people that attended the class with me barely qualified, and one person failed to qualify. I however passed with flying colors, and I really want to further my training by taking the Defensive Handgun Level 1 course, but it's expensive, so it will have to wait. I don't regret going through the CCW class one bit, and I highly recommend it to anyone considering carrying a pistol for personal protection. I do also like the fact that Alaska still offers the permit, even though its not required.