Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad year for Sheep Hunting Boots....

Default Bad year for Sheep Hunting Boots....

I had one heck of a time with boots this year!

First Sheep hunt fly-in with son #2 Wyatt in DS165, his tag BTW...I wore a pair of Scarpa Omegas, these boots killed my feet so bad that I walked 8 miles on the Tazlina Glacier in my Crocs on the trip out!....No Ram!

Second sheep hunt walk-in, my lab chewed up my Mammut Mamook GTX's...(which are three times the boot them Scarpa's are IMO) so I took my old Cabelas "Canadan Hunters" by Meindl, these are the 4th pair of them that I have owned with great luck!

After a day and a half of walking into the sheep area I noticed my right boot didn't look right, holy s**t, major failure! the whole sole was coming off the boot! with alittle duck tape, 550 cord and hunting in crocs (well kinda) we sniffed around for three days for a ram, when it snowed, this hunt was over, I was feeling lucky when I made it out!....with no Ram!

"Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

I'd try a pair of kenetrek I love mine and my girl loves hers.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

The soles rotted out on you! Glad you made it back out!

That duct tape model looks like something out of a Lon Chaney movie!

Default Duct tape model

How much u want for those duct tape boots. I have a hunch they would match a hat people say I wear often.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    I'd try a pair of kenetrek I love mine and my girl loves hers.
    I've heard good things about Kenetrek boots!....have already ordered a pair of Meindl Dovre Extreme GTX boots!

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    How much u want for those duct tape boots. I have a hunch they would match a hat people say I wear often.
    Real Cheap!...LOL

It looks like you crossed the Delaware with Washington and his boys.

My Lowa Sheephunters have held up well after 6 years of hard use. Those boots have that classic Alaskan look to them......lol.

Looks like you need to pick some easier hunts....LOL

I have the alaskan hikers by meindl and they're great. You should send cabelas an email and those failure pics, they are really good about making things right, especially with boots thast are that expensive. My brother has had their hikers go out before and they usually replace the boots straight up.

Sounds like you ordered some REAL meindl's! I've been extremely happy with my Hanwag GTX's. Replaced my Lowa's that I really liked.

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    Sounds like you ordered some REAL meindl's! I've been extremely happy with my Hanwag GTX's. Replaced my Lowa's that I really liked.
    Yup, I ordered them from Germany!.....Hoping they will get here in time for a Idaho deer hunt in November, for break-in!

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
    Looks like you need to pick some easier hunts....LOL
    LOL...I know, huh?

When I ordered my Canada Hunters from Cabela's half of the bad reviews were about the souls letting go. Great fitting boot though.

Ramhunter, been waiting to hear from you on your hunts !!!, can't believe the luck you had with boots especially the scarpa omegas, I use them along with the koflachs and they are tough boots for sure, but if your feet don't take to them, I could understand.

Hardcore sheephunter like you, I'd figure You guys would've come out with a cranker on your boys DS165 tag, lot of variables this year with sheephunting, I took my boy into the AK range and we spent 4 days in a tent waiting out heavy rain, the 2 days we could hunt we still had limited visibility, and the rams we saw just weren't worthy of a trigger pull. oh well, still lot of fun being out.

My scarpa wrangels packed a couple bucks, a sheep, and a goat off the hill this year. Plus they got a pretty good look at some Etolin bulls, and they are waxed up and ready for some more. You must either have bad boot mojo, or go on some insane hunts!
    Alpine is awesome...

And what would you have done if you didn't have those crocs?!
    Alpine is awesome...

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Ramhunter, been waiting to hear from you on your hunts !!!, can't believe the luck you had with boots especially the scarpa omegas, I use them along with the koflachs and they are tough boots for sure, but if your feet don't take to them, I could understand.

Hardcore sheephunter like you, I'd figure You guys would've come out with a cranker on your boys DS165 tag, lot of variables this year with sheephunting, I took my boy into the AK range and we spent 4 days in a tent waiting out heavy rain, the 2 days we could hunt we still had limited visibility, and the rams we saw just weren't worthy of a trigger pull. oh well, still lot of fun being out.
    Hey Chuck,
    We saw only 3 rams in 165, all under full curl!...we hunted our *****es off too. Talked with the bio, she said they lost a lot of Rams last winter/earlier spring..it was hit and miss, some got rams, and many didn't see a legal sheep! We were dropped off on Tazlina Glacier a few miles below East Iceberg lake, hunted up in E. Iceberg for two days, seeing the three sub-legal rams only, then headed up Tazlina 4-5 and hunted clear over into the Hallet River, never saw another Ram! That's sheep hunting!...we had fun and saw some cool country!

Second hunt we walked in the an area that has huge potential, hunt was cut short because of my boot failure!...we did learn a thing or two about this area and will be going back next year!

You guys should come over some night and have a beer and shoot the s**t!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by HuntNBgame View Post
    When I ordered my Canada Hunters from Cabela's half of the bad reviews were about the souls letting go.
    Boots got "souls"? When the "souls" go bad to they go to hell?

Never had a problem with soles on Meindls - I believe that's who make the Canada Hunters for Cabelas. Have had stitching rot out from repeaded saturation and drying. That's how they fail here in S.E.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast