Thread: Any birds around Petersville

Default Any birds around Petersville

Looking at taking the ranger to Petersville this weekend anybody been up that way recent

There are no birds in Petersville. Nothing to see here. Move along.

Okay, funny stuff aside. That area used to be good for grouse, but the Asians have decimated the populations the last few years in a row. I've said this before, as have others; it's no secret. They hunt, 2 weeks prior to season opener (late July-early August), in large family groups. They roll through on 4 wheelers or pick-ups when the birds are still in family groups along the roadside and blast everything. The local folks, myself included, have made complaints to ADF&G. I've even discussed it in detail, in person (and by email) with the state's new small game biologist. It's simply not a concern because it's not moose or caribou. I saw ONE grouse in that area so far this year. ONE.

So, good luck, hope you do find some, but, I wouldn't bet on it. Then again, I haven't shot a bird this year or last, so maybe I'm the wrong guy to ask.

Was up there this past Saturday looking for bear and grouse. Spent the whole day hunting the road and wound up with only two spruce hens. Was there hunting moose last month and saw dozens of grouse...Don't know where they went though...

Was up there last week and while we did see a couple grouse flying at daybreak we only managed one Spruce cock bird [most mature/beautiful bird in my 11 years hunting in AK] for several hours of tromping through the woods. This bird was very large and had vibrant red marks over his eyes and really heavy feathers on his legs. We were disappointed to see posted signs at Trail Ridge Road [~ mile 7?] after driving all the way from Eagle River. It looked very promising after scouting on GE. While there were 3 cabins several miles out at the end of the road it was posted about 50 yards in. Not regular private property posted signs but big hand painted [looked like maybe a kid painted them] boards stating if you hunt here we will call the troopers. Hopefully we will get into some grouse/ptarm's farther up the road this week. We are heading out with the truck camper for one last camping trip before the snow really flies and the water locks up any chances for ducks. Overall I've been pretty happy with the amount I've been able to work our GWP this fall. But, that comes with a price too ~ the only red meat in the freezer is a few packs from last season and about half the wife's spring bear. So, when I'm hunting 'bou, moose or deer I'm having withdrawal from walking behind my bird dog... Next fall I'm already scheduled and booked for 'bou & deer. It's a delicate balance but one I've struggled with.

Default Any birds around Petersville

I'd like to know what the deal is with those signs too. Not sure that they are legal. The area is open to hunting, there is lots of private property I imagine but it's a long road. If I can ever figure out the Alaska mapper I bet I can research it and hunt there.

Besides I imagine all those land owners out there hunt in that area. How are they gonna know where the shots came from?

Just another case of shutting other people out

Its always amusing to read posts talking about asian family this asian family that. Its getting a bit old now. Don't blame others for your poor hunting skills. On the other hand there's plenty of birds in and around Petersville and quite a few blackies as well. Don't let all these "stingy" hunters tell you there's nothing there. Go get em! I went out the other day to a "secret" spot with my sweet nitro np xl pellet gun and with none to little effort at all, bagged these guys. So, I'd say there's PLENTY of birds despite all this bs talk about declines in numbers and blah blah. Happy Hunting !
    too ez.jpg

Regardiess, I've seen the Asians in action on Permanente...