Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ak Hunting News: Our Letter to Congress Concerning the Impact of the Government Shutd

Arrow Ak Hunting News: Our Letter to Congress Concerning the Impact of the Government Shutd

This news clip is from Alaska Hunting News. Discussion is welcome. This news feed is robot generated.

This went out to Congressman Don Young, Senators Lisa Murkowski and Mark Begich, and President Obama on Monday, October 7, 2013, in response to the government lockout of guided and nonguided hunters on federal land in Alaska.

=========================================

October 7, 2013
    Congressman Don Young
    2314 Rayburn House Office Building
    Washington, DC 20515

Dear Congressman Young,
    On behalf of the 9-million-plus sportsmen and women who visit our Alaska hunting and fishing community website (Alaska Outdoors Supersite) annually, we request immediate action to reopen National Wildlife Refuge lands to commercially permitted big game guiding and air and boat transportation services during the government shutdown. As you are aware, the USFWS has suspended all required and legally permitted commercial services, such as big game guiding and air and boat transportation, on Refuge lands during this shutdown. This means that nonresident hunters who drew a coveted Kodak or Unimak Island brown bear hunting tag for hunts that begin October 1st on Refuge lands, who are required to hire a big game guide, are prevented from hunting that tag. Resident hunters who also drew a coveted brown bear tag to hunt on Refuge lands, are denied commercial air or boat transportation services for access to Refuge lands. At this moment, hundreds of hunters, many of whom have been planning these hunts for several years, are stranded, pending the termination of this shutdown. These are just a couple of examples but this impacts hunts and access for all Refuge lands across the state. The impacts to all classes of hunters due to these commercially permitted suspensions of services are unfair and profound. The economic impacts to a wide array of businesses are severe. The ripple effect of the shutdown extends to all recreational users of our lands, including many residents of remote villages who are questioning whether they can even go berry-picking without breaking the law.

These hunts have already been booked, deposits given. Big game guides are already in the field awaiting their clients. Airline and air-taxi and boat transportation services and lodging are reserved, and tickets purchased. We urge you to please contact the Department of the Interior and work to somehow get these Refuge lands reopened during this shutdown of the government.

Thank you,

Michael Strahan
    President, Alaska Outdoors Supersite
    =========================================
    You can read more about this issue in our forums, AT THIS LINK.

We welcome news tips that are useful to the community. Please send tips and links to complete stories by email to webmaster@outdoorsdirectory.com.

A 9M member class action lawsuit would have been more effective imo...but letters do make the author's feel good!!!
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

From what I've personally seen, lawyers tend to be the only winners in most class-action law suits. A check for $2.38 certainly doesn't give me the sense of victory, although the lawyer that made six figures off the case probably feels victorious. And politicians do read letters from their constituents. Michael - thank you for writing! Do we have any ties to people in other states who can do the same? This affects AK probably the hardest of any state in the union, but that doesn't mean certain folks aren't feeling similar pains in other parts of the country.
    My signature is awesome.

Good for you Michael for taking it upon yourself to take up this cause.

Thank you!!
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    A 9M member class action lawsuit would have been more effective imo...but letters do make the author's feel good!!!
    Yeah.

Thanks... I think. I feel so much better now.
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Thanks for making the effort to write to Congress!

Make no mistake about it, the opinions expressed on a site with 9 million viewers should concern our elected officials. Thanks Michael and anyone else who contributed.

Quote Originally Posted by Meanderthal View Post
    Make no mistake about it, the opinions expressed on a site with 9 million viewers should concern our elected officials. Thanks Michael and anyone else who contributed.
    I would be remiss in failing to mention Bushrat's assistance with the letter. He was a huge help; all I did was make a few editorial changes. I don't generally write letters like this, so am unclear on the protocols.

Thanks, Mark! Much appreciated!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

While I see only the best of intentions founded in a letter to Washington and we do need representation; I fear it will fall on deaf ears. UNFORTUNATELY, most sportsmen should remember that Washington has a pre-existing disdane for firearms and their owners and if they won't let 90 year old Am.Vets tour their well deserved momument they certainly won't help us people clinging to our bibles and guns shoot up their Government lands. AND with orders to the Park Service to make life as difficult as possible on Government held lands , I don't expect much of a positive response to those requesting permission to shoot the kings deer. Thanks a bunch for the effort.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    While I see only the best of intentions founded in a letter to Washington and we do need representation; I fear it will fall on deaf ears. UNFORTUNATELY, most sportsmen should remember that Washington has a pre-existing disdane for firearms and their owners and if they won't let 90 year old Am.Vets tour their well deserved momument they certainly won't help us people clinging to our bibles and guns shoot up their Government lands. AND with orders to the Park Service to make life as difficult as possible on Government held lands , I don't expect much of a positive response to those requesting permission to shoot the kings deer. Thanks a bunch for the effort.
    Brav-

You might be right, but I hope I never let the actions of someone else dictate mine. I've never been much for politics, but sometimes you have to stand up and say something. Or do something. I don't think the sky is falling and I'm not planning to stop by the tin foil hat store in the near future, but things sure are messed up right now. I don't know about you, but I sure don't want anyone to think that I think this is normal. Or acceptable. It's not.

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Brav-

You might be right, but I hope I never let the actions of someone else dictate mine. I've never been much for politics, but sometimes you have to stand up and say something. Or do something. I don't think the sky is falling and I'm not planning to stop by the tin foil hat store in the near future, but things sure are messed up right now. I don't know about you, but I sure don't want anyone to think that I think this is normal. Or acceptable. It's not.

-Mike
    The trouble with not having been involved in politics, is having run the risk of being governed by idiots.

Most of us reading this are having problems with accepting the new "normal". Change was promised...Change has come. The changes have been dramatic and swift in coming. While we were busy playing in the woods, others were planning our future...and subsequent generation's future as well. I regard the actions of this new brand of governors to be a valuable "Lesson In Meanness". Singularly and collectively, I do hope the lesson was learned...well. If the best we can do is write a letter to those who orchestrated the lesson plan, informing them of things they already know...seems to me that it would only reaffirm their notions...that their actions worked According to Hoyle. Sorta like pinning a badge of honor on them. Twisted times, to be sure...pity the young hunter/fisher.
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Mike an Bushrat, thanks for writing/sending the letter..

Unfortunatly Mike, the actions of 'someone else' appears to have already dictated yours..

It occurs to me that there is a work around to all of this. Point 1.) non resident hunters required to use a guide: suspend that law. That is entirely within the purview of the AK Legislation. It doesn't help guides at all, but at least we still get the "tourism" dollars. Point 2. denied commercial air service access: use non commercial air service access. I be there are plenty of pilots willing to fly in there for fuel costs and PIC time.

problem solved. I should run for congress.

I heard you or ricks radio show this AM too, thank you for doing this. maybe it will help maybe it wont but at least you trying. I really think most Americans are sick and tired of our government we just haven't organized ourselves enough to really change anything... yet

Quote Originally Posted by kevin476 View Post
    I heard you or ricks radio show this AM too, thank you for doing this. maybe it will help maybe it wont but at least you trying. I really think most Americans are sick and tired of our government we just haven't organized ourselves enough to really change anything... yet

Sent from my LG-LG855 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    The trouble with not having been involved in politics, is having run the risk of being governed by idiots...Change was promised...Change has come...
    Yep. And the trouble with waking sleeping giants is the false assumption that their slumber is a permanent condition. It would be equally foolish to assume that whatever "change" we've seen recently is also a permanent condition. Sometimes the first casualties inflicted by the waking giant are directed at the pin jab that disturbed his sleep.

Washington should take note of the size and potential of the giant they have disturbed.

-Mike

Default Totally Agree

We are now a people that fear the government. The government should fear the people; but it doesn't. They are walking all over us and we let them. So they continue ... they have no fear. I hope and pray that changes in the near future. Sometimes it takes more than words to get the point across. Perhaps the 'truckers' rally in DC may have some affect. I'd love to see 5 million outdoorsman march in Washington with hunting rifles and fishing poles demanding freedom ... AND access to federal lands since we continue to pay taxes. This is a bad situation ...

And now for a quote that helps explain how we got here: "The conscious and intelligent manipulation of the organized habits and opinions of the masses is an important element in democratic society. Those who manipulate this unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country. We are governed, our minds are molded, our tastes formed, our ideas suggested, largely by men we have never heard of." - Edward Bernays

It's time for change ... If Colorado can recall 3 of it's congressman, we should be able to recall this president/dictator that resides in Washington.

Yep. And the trouble with waking sleeping giants is the false assumption that their slumber is a permanent condition. It would be equally foolish to assume that whatever "change" we've seen recently is also a permanent condition. Sometimes the first casualties inflicted by the waking giant are directed at the pin jab that disturbed his sleep.

Washington should take note of the size and potential of the giant they have disturbed.

-Mike
    Last edited by Truenorthed; 10-11-2013 at 13:14. Reason: Spelling

-Mike
    I agree and Thank You for the taking the time to write and send the letter Mike. IMO it's time for us (republicans, democrats, everyone) to march on Washington and make sure Congress hears us and gets back to making this country work again.

-Mike
    Agree...although those very words would have been better served, had they been in your letter...directed as those responsible for the madness. As opposed to simply telling the governors what they already knew. I am still in a quandary of what your original intent was, when the letter was penned. Seemed to me, that originally you were asking the governors to direct the Dept of Interior to open the Federal Refuges within Alaska. To me, that was shortsighted and miniscule...the problems associated with the issue are much, much larger, sinister and deeply rooted.

I see no good out of going after those governors who have been put in the positions they are currently in. The root of the problem lies in the laps of those that put them there. Some of those very folks are reading this right now...they are also friends, husbands/wives, kinfolks, next door neighbors and acquaintances of those responsible for casting votes and supporting whom they do. We are a tolerant lot...to a fault.
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast