Thread: Discover Your Saltwater Garden

Default Discover Your Saltwater Garden

OK guys, most of you remember me as a forum regular and contributor. Things change. I've given up my Kodiak lease, married a Chinese national, and right now I'm in Beijing as I redefine my life. I'll miss Alaska, and as far as fishing goes China is out the window, though I will seasonally commute. Fish can do that and I will be back.

Of note:

They eat kelp in China. It's the same stuff we curse when we catch it in our down riggers, or wind it in a prop. You heard about it as table fare, but you never ate it. I now have. Read what I say: kelp is free food and it is marvelous.

Next time out haul a single floating plant partially in. Cut off a few of those large broad leaves and stick them in a cooler. When you get home simply wash the film off with a clean scrub brush in cold water and pat dry. Trim the leaves two ways with your fillet knife; either into 1" X 4" wide strips or longer thin strips like a single strand of linguini. Treat the item like a fresh green vegetable; you can steam it like spinach, or you can combine it like a noodle. The flavor is outstanding, the texture al dente, the nutrition factor off the Richter Scale, and it is non-fattening. BEST OF ALL, IT'S FREE AND YOU CAN EVEN VACUUM PROCESS AND FREEZE THIS PRODUCT WITH SUPERIOR QUALITY.

One point six billion Chinese can't be wrong; they are healthier than us, live longer, and they are not fat. Though the quality of their fish suck, their vegetables are beyond compare. It's your garden. Go pick it...

Rosenberg; Zhengzhou, CN
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Lemme get this straight: You voluntarily moved to communist China and we should value your advice why?

Just joking - good luck over there.

Charterboat Operator

HEY, i am still waiting to take you fishing!
    god luck in your new adventure, am sure you will make the best out of it!
    thanks for the kelp tip, have been trying to make myself try it, guess i will have to make a better attempt now.
    Pole Bender

This thread should be moved to the "Chinese pantry" forum.

Oops, there isn't one
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard R. Rosenberg View Post
    the nutrition factor off the Richter Scale

Especially the stuff harvested off of Japan these days....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Especially the stuff harvested off of Japan these days....
    Does the Kelp by chance have nice neon green glow?
    There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

Note that harvesting kelp is illegal in many parts of the state. see http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static-sf...fpubs/kelp.pdf

Twice in the last few years, we've been approached by Chinese people for the heads and discards of coho. They were quite excited to get the head, bones and guts so I guess the soup they were making is quite a delicacy. Will you ask around for recipes? Thanks.

2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Thanks for the post, Bernard!

Kelp and other seaweeds have long been a great source of nutrition. For those interested, our bookstore carries several titles that can be used to identify the various types found along our coastlines, along with popular uses. Here's a couple:

Enjoy!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay