Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Affordable brown bear rug?

Default Affordable brown bear rug?

So I have a brown bear hide from fall 2008. I did all the prepping work myself and green tanned it. Now it's been sitting in my shed wrapped up for 5 years. Its about a 8 ft bear. Jus never could afford to get it rugged. Well now I'm looking for help on a affordable taxi who could do it. Like I said no prep work to be done jus tanning and rugging. Any suggestions? Price range is under $900. Can this be done? Willing to part trade my time in the taxi shop helping out. I have 4 seasons exp. I can flesh, do eyes ears mouth nose feet etc.
    thanks, jake

Release Lake Trout

I haven't gotten any breaks by doing the prep work on any of my bears. I think that the taxi's must do a much better quicker faster job than I can do on them. It seems like a lot of work to flesh and turn a hide for me - or mebbe I am just a bit s l o w .

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Jake, have you considered doing the rug yourself? Have someone tan the hide for you, buy $100 in parts (head form, eyes, jawset, hide paste etc.), then work at your own pace. As you know, taxi work (especially bear rugs) isn't rocket science. If you have a good set of hands and patience to do it right, you'll be quite pleased with your results.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I haven't gotten any breaks by doing the prep work on any of my bears. I think that the taxi's must do a much better quicker faster job than I can do on them. It seems like a lot of work to flesh and turn a hide for me - or mebbe I am just a bit s l o w .
    I think a fleshing wheel is much faster and easier than you or I can do it!

You'll have to look at that rug for the next 30-40 years or more. You really think its worth trying to save a few hundred bucks and have to look at something embarrassing? Save up, get it to the best taxidermist you can find and have something you'll be happy to show your friends.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I think a fleshing wheel is much faster and easier than you or I can do it!
    With a good sharp ulu, a stihl, and a reliable fleshing board, I can flesh an 9ft+ brown bear hide from tail to base of head in about 30-45 minutes without putting holes in it. The hard part is removing the feet, and turning the nose and lips and jowls without cutting your finger off.

Release Lake Trout

Don't go cheap go quality, I've seen some horrible taxidermy jobs over the years.I have a Dall sheep hanging in my welding shop it's so bad. But it was really cheap.

Also have a brown bear rug done in 1975 thats in perfect shape still, and have a brown bear done in 1999 that I have to glue back together once in a while. Told the Taxidermist about the second one coming apart,he said well it's a dry climate.

Full cry is EXACTLY RIGHT.

Is it a Trophy to you ?

Do you want it to last a Lifetime ?

Do you want to be able to show it too your freinds & be proud when they say how BEAUTIFUL it is rather than , Oh wow who did that !!

Taxidermy does not take a Brain sergion to do . but it does take EXPERIENCE to do a GOOD job.

Just because you can buy all the head inserts , glue, felt border, & all the other supplies, Doesnt meen that just Anyone can make a good rug.

If you are wanting to do it your self & save all that money, ATLEAST call & order my rugging video from Research mannikins so you can see the step by step proccess & see all the real work that goes into this.

ALOT of full time taxidermists have bought the video & comented back to me about how well they liked it.

Research Manikins 800 826 0654

Its about $17.00

ANYONE that would offer to mount a Grizzly rug of ANY size for what you are asking, is ONE going to SCREW IT UP, 2 Going to steal the skin & you will never see it again, or 3 it will be a NIGHTMARE to get it back .

Good luck in your decision.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy www.protaxidermy.com
    907 322 0936
    Last edited by Brian M; 10-10-2013 at 14:28.
    Custom Taxidermy, Experience the difference !!

wow... that's some interesting marketing there. almost reads like a latenight infomercial on a messageboard
    Sent from my LG-LG855 using Tapatalk 2

As far as the OPs question, I dont know the answer, but I have a Brown Bear in my closet that is fully taxi tanned with turned ears, lips, etc. I have a total of about $275 into it for the tanning at Moyles. It has a decent size rub, so I didnt really want to pay big bucks to get it rugged. Frostbitten, you just MAY have given me a winter project. Damm you!!! Even if I screw it up, I'd rather have it hanging in my mancave with cross eyes and a snaggle tooth grin, than stuffed in a tote in the closet.

You never get experience if you dont go get some experience....
    Last edited by Brian M; 10-10-2013 at 14:29. Reason: referenced edited material

NOT at all,

I am just stating that there is a VIDEO out there that WILL show Every step of what the proccess is.

After people watch it LOTS of folks say forget doing it their selves.

I dont get ANYTHING from the video sales at all, so I could care less if Anyone buys it.

I am just offering a Learning tool, THATS why I made it for Research in the first place.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    Yea, I think that one crosses a line.

As far as the OPs question, I dont know the answer, but I have a Brown Bear in my closet that is fully taxi tanned with turned ears, lips, etc. I have a total of about $275 into it for the tanning at Moyles. It has a decent size rub, so I didnt really want to pay big bucks to get it rugged. Frostbitten, you just MAY have given me a winter project. Damm you!!! Even if I screw it up, I'd rather have it hanging in my mancave with cross eyes and a snaggle tooth grin, than stuffed in a tote in the closet.

You never get experience if you dont go get some experience....
    Hey, you needed something to do this winter anyways!!!

Quote Originally Posted by protaxidermy View Post
    NOT at all,

I am just stating that there is a VIDEO out there that WILL show Every step of what the proccess is.

After people watch it LOTS of folks say forget doing it their selves.

I dont get ANYTHING from the video sales at all, so I could care less if Anyone buys it.

I am just offering a Learning tool, THATS why I made it for Research in the first place.
    I kind of wonder why you called it "MY" rugging video if that is the case then?

Sent from my LG-LG855 using Tapatalk 2

Well, when it says " How to rug a Black Bear by RJ Simington" I guess I can say that.

& being the forum Sponsor, I CAN advertise. Right ??????????

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy

My impression is that RJ is trying to help here. He's a pro offering his advice.
    I surely wouldn't be offended as he offers his help all the time. Seems like a pretty good guy.

A few of you guys are trying to read more into his post than just free advice.

My thoughts....
    BK

I agree, nothing wrong with RJ's opinion regarding DIY vs a professional. I read it as a sales pitch with a dig at a competitor thrown in for good measure...

If that is not the case, then I was incorrect and you should pay more attention to how you use your words.

I did not realize that you were a sponsor. What does sponsor status buy you? The ability to freely pitch your services with contact info and prices in threads? Not being sarcastic, serious question.

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    I did not realize that you were a sponsor. What does sponsor status buy you? The ability to freely pitch your services with contact info and prices in threads? Not being sarcastic, serious question.
    Yes, forum sponsors may advertise in their sponsored forum. They contribute significantly to the survival of this site, and in return we allow them to advertise directly to potential clients via messages in our forums.

On a side note, I have edited/deleted posts that referred to RJ's spelling error. He pointed out that it was a mistake and not intended to send a message.

Got it. Thanks Brian. I didnt realize that.

Apologies to the OP for the redirection and obfuscation.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    With a good sharp ulu, a stihl, and a reliable fleshing board, I can flesh an 9ft+ brown bear hide from tail to base of head in about 30-45 minutes without putting holes in it. The hard part is removing the feet, and turning the nose and lips and jowls without cutting your finger off.
    Wow, I need to come watch! I could definitely use some lessons from someone experienced and I've always wanted to try the ulu!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

The video that RJ and Theresa put together is very well done (yes, I bought one when it first came to the market), and details the steps for all aspects of bear rugging. It's called an "instructional video" for a reason, and in the taxidermy business you NEVER stop learning new and better ways to improve the quality of your work. I highly recommend it, as it can definitely help if you decide to tackle the project yourself. Best of luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast