Thread: first time marten trapping

Default first time marten trapping

I,m headed up to Sitka this winter to do some marten trapping.I have trapped for a bunch of years here in Penna.--beaver-bobcat-coons rats-fox etc.I,ve been reading the regs best I can but am wondering if there are any little hidden things I could be missing especially being a non-resident.My friend has a nice boat and we,ll be moving around a bit.Hoping to get lucky and catch a few but hey the adventure is the real fun of it!!Plan on using 120,s with pole sets in old mailboxes.not looking for anyones secrets but a few tips would be appreciated.Thanks and have a great day!!!A/ho

Curious if your buddy's name is Brian ?

no his name is Andy-he has never trapped before so it,ll be a learning experience

right on...I have a buddy down that way that traps the area quite a bit..or atleast used to, I'm sure he still does. Catches a load of marten. Their's plenty of bait around with the fish cutting plants around, and if there's marten around you should catch them. He's using mostly pole sets and 1's. He does have ice problems from time to time.

your going to deffinately have to use that boat dont even waste your time anywhere you can drive out the road to its totally trapped out

Check out www.trapperman.com. There are guys posting there who trap SE Alaska.
    I wouldn't limit yourselves to marten.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Contact Tadd Fujioka. He is on the ADFG Advisory Committee in Sitka, (was chairman). He will be able to help you. The newspaper tubes on poles are good sets, as are flower pot sets, which can literally be made anywhere, and are nearly impervious to weather and birds.
    As martentrapper suggested, go to trapperman.com and read the "wilderness archives". There is more information there than you will find anywhere else.

thanks for the info and tips.much appreciated.have a fantastic day!!!

Quote Originally Posted by alaska viking View Post
    The newspaper tubes on poles are good sets.........
    They work pretty darned well dont they!! Easy and inexpensive to make a bunch and very packable.