Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kenai river for memorial

Default Kenai river for memorial

How is the king fishing near sterling durin mem day weekend? Dads friend has a cabin that we're using but do you expect us to catch any kings... doesnt matter in size, jacks are ok........... Any tactics good ?

The area is from the sancutary
    (where all the cabins are) up to skilak*

--- ALSO how do you fish for dollies with a spinning rod

Water is pretty low and it seems early for Kings up that high, there are a few Kings but not many and I wouldn't bet any money on catching any. The only report I have heard about Dollies is that it is slow. Rainbows are closed and are not to be removed from the water if caught. I was at Bings on Sunday checking out the landing and saw the Parks truck there with a trailer, I bet he was making sure "Dolly Fishermen" were not targeting trout.
    I am not sure what you mean by sancutary but I assume you mean the Kenai Keys area that closes on June 25th. There is an area above the Keys around Super Hole that goes to Skilak that is closed to motors until June 15th. (I think the 15th you may want to check that date).

Default Middle River Memorial Weekend

Kings don't run up past Naptowne Rapids. There is no good king fishing upstream of there. <grin>

Dollie fishing with spin tackle, just use enough weight to keep it on the bottom while you drift and use fleshflies, or smolt patterns. Flesh flies should be the very light washed out color.

Yukon, so do you think I should leave my boat in the driveway this weekend?

Water still hasn't come up like I thought it would by now, pretty bummed. Last I checked it still hasn't hit 7ft below the Killey guage.

Parks guy runs a prop doesn't he?

The water was up on the ramp which is a good sign. The Parks guy usually runs a prop but this early they may be running a jet. I think you could make the trip to Dow Island. Just pick your way around that gravel bar just above the ramp, once you are past that you are home free. The last time I did it early in the season I idled up as slow as I could and found my "line", went back down the river and blasted through no problem. I don't think you would have trouble with it, the water is clear enough (unless this rain blows out the Keeley) that you should be able to see your way through the shallows.

There is kings up that far... Last fall i saw them rolling, saw a couple spawned out dead on the bottom of the channel, and theres king guides up there too...

Default Sarcasm...

....is hard to get across in writing.

Sorry, just being a smart @ss.
    You are correct.

Thanx for the info on the launch yukon!

So do you think any jacks will be up there yet? and what depth should i have my lines at

bump~ what depth should we be king fishing at

Default King Fishing

regardless of the depth of the water in the location you are fishing, should be done while in contact with the bottom.

The target zone for Kings is within a foot of the bottom. Wether your casting hardware, backtrolling plugs, drifting bait, or downtrolling spinners, you should be as close to the bottom as possible.

As far as Jacks, I'm not the expert, but I believe there is a larger possibility of catching them in the late run. Not to say they aren't there in the early run, but to target them now could be a fruitless venture.

-sc

I know to fish at the bottom, but dont know how deep kenai near skilak down is at the moment. Does anybody know the depth? And are you allowed to put fish on your lure but not on your hook just for scent not bait purposes?

Oh and as for the jacks... I dont care what the size is, from 10 in thru 100 in , just wana catch some kings, just thought there might be more jacks there before the larger fish, and has anyone picked up any kings in this area yet?

I give you about 1:100 odds of catching a king this weekend but there will be a few around, again, it is very early that high up. NO BAIT, NO BAIT, NO BAIT, look at the regulations as it is single hook no bait and no bait means no scent of any kind can be applied to your lure.
    Go down with the attitude of learning the river and checking it out, as well as a little fishing. If you catch a King it is a big bonus. I have not heard of any kings being caught up that way, I have only heard of a few being caught in the lower river, and I mean a few.

Try using a small single hook mepps there should be sockeye smolt comig down any time now, where birds work you'll find fish.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

The king run is off to a slow start, but a few more are showing each day.... 91 yesterday, hopefully triple digits soon! If we were to add 30-40 fish per day for the missed days of counting, the early run is preliminarily tracking in the 6000-6500 range (about 40% of an average return), albeit with a wide margin of error for now.

Water seems to be coming up with each passing day... right on schedule.

My four week countdown starts today.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default no fish to speak of

Friends out this morning with a good guide - no fish and they did not see any nets up.

i'm looking at the kenai right now and it's murking up rapidly. started getting off colored yesterday, and got significantly worse today. i talked to a couple guys that caught fish in each of the last few days, but got skunked today, despite the increase in fish count. it's definitely early, and the counts are still real low, but the muddy water is the biggest factor right now.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

This must be the culprit, Mark...

Looks like the Killey had a bit of a spike in flow. Just a few miles upriver the flow looks pretty typical just below Skilak:

"Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Data not coming up doc. But we all know: Mud = Killey blown

grizzeyes

i fished the kenai on the 13th and the 24th for about 2 hrs a piece. not many boats, no take downs. finally nice to be back out there. didn't drive over the bridge today. won't be long..

River banks of the kenai at the keys are back 50ft from usual places... water is extremely low... never seen it like that before

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast