Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sitka blacktail and black bear hunt

Default Sitka blacktail and black bear hunt

Hello fellow Alaskan outdoors folks. My wife and I recently arrived in this great state (September 1st). Quick back story. My wife and I extremely love hunting, fishing and just being outdoors. I decided to enlist in the Army at the age of 32 after wanting to challenge myself rather than settle for the mind numbing job I had stuck with for 10 years. Thankfully we were lucky and got stationed at JBER. Now that we are getting settled in, we are trying to figure out a possible hunt before its too late. Black bear and blacktails are the two species that appear to be a possibility. We definitely are not rich so an outfitter isn't an option and to be honest we get more satisfaction out of a DIY hunt. If anyone has any information or guidance to where we might start or if we are out of luck for this year we would extremely appreciate the information. 20+ years of hunting and I am having a tough time sitting a season out. Hunting to this guy is more than a hobby, its my passion. Thanks in advance
    Adam

Scrap the and blackbears, save your dough until the middle to end of November and go to kodiak for blacktails. Call kodiak charters, they have a website with contact info, and see if they have any specials this year. Shoot one buck each to save tag money and spend the rest of your time shooting sea ducks or just soaking up the scenery. It's a blast and pretty cheap as far as Alaskan adventures go.

Thanks for the reply. I checked out their wesite and it would cost about$5000 for my wife and I to go. I know thats cheap for hunting in Alaska but if thats our only option then we will have to wait for next year. I still have to believe that there is a chance at bears south of Anchorage with all the ones we have seen while hiking. I very well could be wrong but I am in dire need to get out hunting.

Best deer/black bear combo hunt in the state is Prince of Wales Island in SE. That would involve some travel costs though.

Closer to home for you, there are islands in Prince William Sound and a few places on the mainland of the Sound that would work for a combo hunt too. Still need to get there though.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Quote Originally Posted by twodux View Post
    Best deer/black bear combo hunt in the state is Prince of Wales Island in SE. That would involve some travel costs though.
    Plus 1 on that!.....
    "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

We could do it if it involved staying on the mainland. Doesn't need to be a combo hunt. Just thought while deer hunting might be able to score a black bear as well. Thanks for the replies guys. Alaska has been intimidating to me in the short time we have been here. I am confident that in time I will learn to love hunting and fishing here. I enjoy challenges and hunting here seems much more exciting than back in Michigan

go get you a black bear tag and go hunting. I seen a nice bear eating berries just 3 days ago (palmer area). And if you don't fill it, its still good for the spring too (till july 1,2014) Or I think you could even use it for a deer later in the season also.

Roger that. I have a 4 day weekend coming up this weekend so I am definitely going to venture out and see what happens as far as bear hunting goes. Any particular area near Palmer? We seen a couple nice boars hiking 2 weeks ago near Girdwood but that was before I knew we could hunt the area we were hiking plus all my guns hadn't arrived yet from the lower 48. Got them last friday so game on

Which island.. Are you thinking of. I have couple ideas for you. I wouldn't try black and deer at same time in pws. If I wanted deer I run right to montague with a brown bear tag. But the best island for a combo would be knight.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Black bear is certainly your best option for a low-cost hunt. While deer hunting is great fun, the cost for travel is going to be in the hundreds if not thousands of dollars. You can do a black bear hunt for the cost of the tag and a tank of gas. Be ready to climb, though, as right now they'll be up with the goats getting the last of the berries.

akmike30. Pretty much any island its a bit pricey at least for a couple who just paid out of pocket to move 5100 miles lol. We did get reimbursed but that went towards my truck. As far as hiking high for bear, I will do it. I absolutely love hunting and can't believe how fortunate we are to be stationed up here. With possible deployment next year I was going to do everything I could to get some hunting in this fall and winter. Once the snow starts to pile up its on to continue my new passion I started several years back in michigan, predator huntjng

buy the military small game, get the FREE black bear tags... then hunt on Military property.

Saves bunches of money till you have been here a year...

but, does limit you to about 3 1/2 million acres to hunt.

Go to Isportsman on the computer and get your rec access card.- 2 to 3 minutes depending on computer.

Deer tags are about $150 ea if I remember for non- residents. Free to residents and military whom have been here a year.

My Advice is if necessary- just hunt small game and ducks

lots of grouse areas near you, and here shortly you will find lots of coyotes

have fun, and welcome to the Great State

Thanks for your Service,
    Chris
    Disabled Vet

We need to know what your budget is before we can accurately point you in the right direction.
    Like several people have said a road based black bear hunt is your cheapest option and you have a very good chance at tagging out on a couple nice black bears if you are willing to do the work. Plenty of bears still out in the high country eating berries or looking for berries. You can go north of Anchorage to the Talkeetnas or go South in the Chugach or Kenai areas.

Deer are all on islands so you will have to fly or boat to get to them and both options are costly but can be fun.

Kodiak has more deer but you would need to take the ferry or a commercial flight to Kodiak then hire a transporter to fly or boat you to a hunting location unless you hunt the road system. The road system does have deer but it gets hit hard by hunters and was hit hard two years ago with a ton of snow.

armystrong13d - Congrats on your decision to join the Army. I can't help with your question (as a non-AK resident), but as a former Marine artilleryman, you picked a great MOS!

Armystrong13d,

First, thanks for enlisting especially at your age. Second, I just looked into deer hunts at Montague, POW and Admiralty island. I hunted Montague last November for deer and only shot two of em. ADFG has deer hunting forecast info on their website (see links below). Here's a synopsis, Prince William Sound received record snowfall in the winter of 2011/2012. Deer mortality in PWS is as high as 60% based on deer pellet counts done by F&G. My experience last year supports this as I have hunted Montague 5 times in the past. Kodiak experienced a 30-70% mortality rate depending on which part of the island you hunt. SE Alaska such as Admiralty island didn't get hit nearly as badly and POW has a lower deer population than either Kodiak or PWS. I've decided to skip deer hunting for the next 1-2 years to allow the populations to re-establish themselves. You can always predator hunt this year as well as bear hunt. Hare populations and grouse populations are both off their peaks in their respective cycles. ADF&G also has a small game forecast you can look up too.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...rticles_id=614
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...rticles_id=620

Thanks everyone for the replies. We have decided to wait at least until next year for blacktails. Mivht as well save and do it right. Plus population might be a little healthier then to. However its pddal to the metal for black bears. My wife and I both have our harvest tickets and made it out sunday in the rain. Would have loved to been out saturday but it didn't happen. Today I spent the day looking for bears and areas where bears should be. Found lots of sign including some really fresh tracks. Hopefully next weekend I can find one for the wife to lay the cross hairs on.

armystrong - I don't want to shoot a black bear until Spring... I love the Spring Prince William Sound hunt.

I'd be interested in taking you and your wife.... and I have a boat with a heated cabin. I'm also from Michigan.

Shoot me an email... jbinak@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by joshlaska View Post
    armystrong - I don't want to shoot a black bear until Spring...
    Hard to beat a fat berry filled fall bear tho.......in fact, darn near impossible to....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Hard to beat a fat berry filled fall bear tho.......in fact, darn near impossible to....

+1 on that. I'll take a fall bear over a spring bear any day. Matter of fact, just had bear stew for dinner last night. You can't beat a berry bear.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Hi Josh. Would be extremely interested in joining you on a hunt in the sound. I emailed you.

Yeah fall bear or spring bear. I just love being outdoors and hunting. No luck so far but loving the opportunity to get outdoors. We would love to put a bear in the freezer. Our venison is dwindling and there is plenty of room.!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast