Thread: Supplemental 870 barrels for Mat-Su moose

Default Supplemental 870 barrels for Mat-Su moose

I'm interested in going after moose in a shotgun only zone, so I'm considering ordering one of those scoped rifled barrels for my 870... I see that Mossberg makes a knockoff of the Remington one for about 25% cheaper, with minor differences (one inch longer barrel, slightly different scope). Neither seem to be in stock anywhere in town which forces me to order it sight unseen.

Is there enough of a quality difference in the two to justify the price difference ($200 vs. $280)? Which would you guys order?

Thanks

Mossberg makes a pretty decent barrel for the money, I don't think you're going to see onough accuracy difference to matter at slug gun ranges.

This for next years hunt? If not, prowl GunBroker.com for a Hastings barrel - the best made. Spendy, but you could find a used one for about the same as the Remington.

I ordered the mossberg barrel with scope mount and it works great shots touch at 100 yards kill my moose with one shot

I've messed with slug guns very little but enough to know there isn't much difference in any of the pump gun barrels. I'd with the Mossberg.

If this is something you're going to do regularly I'd get a bolt action shotgun- huge difference in accuracy and handling IMHO.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Mossberg will be a great gun. Lots of slug hunting experience back east, you will be happy and save some $ too, go with the mossberg.
    BK

While my personal preference for everyday, beat the bushes shotgun has always been Mossberg, I have to say the most accurate and dependable "slug gun" I have used has been an Ithica "deer slayer". Took several whitetails back in the mid-west with it, furthest shot was 170 yards, average 60 - 70 yards. Always dropped them with 1 shot and right where the cross hairs were pointed.

Quote Originally Posted by dandeo2003 View Post
    While my personal preference for everyday, beat the bushes shotgun has always been Mossberg, I have to say the most accurate and dependable "slug gun" I have used has been an Ithica "deer slayer". Took several whitetails back in the mid-west with it, furthest shot was 170 yards, average 60 - 70 yards. Always dropped them with 1 shot and right where the cross hairs were pointed.
    I agree, My Ithica Deersalayer II is a great slug gun. I have it topped with a 1X5 power Leupold slug gun scope. It has knocked down many whitetail in NJ and any other place shotgun had to be used. 125 is easy shot with it. The fixed barrel to the reciever is the key to the guns accuracy I believe. JJ

I did that hunt last year. I used a cheap-o Tristar I won at DU BBQ. with the bear slugs they have at Sportmans (all they had at the time) Normally you will be so close it won't matter what you shoot it with.

Rifled choke tubes with Sabot or other sleeved slugs work great. If your barrel is ribbed you can get williams bolt on sites and you are dealy to 100 yards without breaking the bank. I did this in college with my 870 and it worked great for several years when I needed a shotgun for deer, no need for a whole new barrel.

I have used both Hastings and Ithaca made barrels for the remington 870 and both are comparable and quite accurate. Remember use only sabot slug in rifled barrels not faoster type as they will lead the barrel and make it very inaccurate, same goes for smooth bore, foster work well but sabots won't

I don't like the cantilever scope mounts. If you search the internet there is a scope base for the 870 that fits over the side of the action. It is much more solid as the cantilever flexes.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

If you are around Fairbanks... Alaskan gun & Ammo has a Remington 870 rifled barrel with scope (used) for less than 250...

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post

If this is something you're going to do regularly I'd get a bolt action shotgun- huge difference in accuracy and handling IMHO.
    I don't know any better, because I've never shot a slug gun, but I am curious: why are bolt slug guns more accurate than a pump in your opinion?

Thanks all, I went ahead & ordered the Mossberg online.

Quote Originally Posted by gokorn1 View Post
    I did that hunt last year. I used a cheap-o Tristar I won at DU BBQ. with the bear slugs they have at Sportmans (all they had at the time) Normally you will be so close it won't matter what you shoot it with.
    Hearing that makes me tempted to have the bow handy!

dedicated bolt slug guns have the barrel firmly attached to the reciever. most pump and semi have a little "slop" in the barrel to make it easier to take down, clean, store.

The more expensive slug guns are made to the same standards as a quality hunting rifle. And can have the accuracy of a good rifle. Plus, the placement of the scope onto the firearm is quite a bit more stable.

Hope this short answer helps,
    Chris

I must of missed something, but have reread the post a couple more times and he says he has a 870 gun. Does Mossberg make a barrel that fits a Remington 870?

yes, Mossberg makes Remington replacemnet barrels.

Remington actually owns Mossberg and H & R right now. Though the "grouping" will change here again in the next year or so.

Chris