Thread: Grass Seed in Dog's Paw

Default Grass Seed in Dog's Paw

Thought I'd bring this up for awareness since we just went through it with our young Boykin. Returned from the field Sat. afternoon, by evening dog was favoring a paw - thought it was just a sore foot. Sun. morning paw was swollen and she couldn't put weight on. We used warm wet cloths on the paw. Sun. afternoon, an abscess formed between 2 toes. This morning, clean-out of abscess and antibiotics at the vet. Vet said sharp seeds from some types of grass will stick in a dog's hair and can be worked thru the skin, usually between toes or in the ear. Advice was to always check the dog for seeds in feet & ears when coming out of the field. Long-haired dogs such as spaniels are more prone to the problem. I had never heard of this in all the years around dogs in the field.

Tanana Valley AK

It can get up in their nose too. Foxtail grasses are almost as bad as porcupine quills.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It