Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: honda pioneer side by side

Default honda pioneer side by side

Is anyone riding a pioneer how
    anyone pull a moose out or take a heavy load up the mountains

I don't believe thy are available to buy yet....
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

I bought Hartley Motors first Pioneer four seater. Been driving it for a little over a week now. Very impressed with it. I got the glass windshield with it and will be installing a custom aluminum full roof tomorrow. The 2-4 seating option is great. I would not get the two seater and go with the four instead. Nice to be able to haul four people when needed. The rear bed is big. I have hauled several hundred pounds of landscaping bricks and could not tell that they were even in the bed. Also pulled several large diameter spruce logs out of the woods and no problem whatsoever. The transmission is 2 WD, 4 WD or 4 wheel differential lock with all four tires spinning. The ride is comfortable. I like that the wheel base is short. Turns around in 14 foot diameter. It is not a real fast vehicle but I am not planning on racing it. Once I get the roof installed then I will be doing a little modding to make it a little more user friendly. Gun holders, winches, heater, fire extinguisher, storage boxes, lights, dipnet holders, etc. Honda has an impressive accessory list of plug and play items.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post
    I don't believe thy are available to buy yet....
    I stand corrected. I sure would like to hear some more about these rigs. Anyone else got one yet?
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Keep us informed of any bugs you encounter mrj! I am interested in these for my passel of rugrats, but would like to wait and see how they hold up. Thanks for the report!
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

That is the first side by side I have seen that I like. The convertible second row is a long overdue feature as those 4 seaters look way too long to be of any use on a trail and for the price you could just buy an old jeep and put lockers on it.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

The length of the other four seaters was a problem I saw while caribou hunting. The wheel base is too long and they tended to get high centered way to easily. Pulled a few out the mud.

I'll be installing my aluminum roof tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by mrj View Post
    I'll be installing my aluminum roof tomorrow.
    I'd love to see a photo of the roof. The wife and I have been considering one of these.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Excellent thread - thanks Mr. J! Looking forward to pics!

Day one with the Pioneer. 1/2 mile from the house and buried in the quicksand of the Knik river. I found a few of the minor flaws in the stock design.
    Attachment 74979

Time to head to the Mark's Mod Shop.

My first mod is an environmentally friendly one. Recycling works for me. Some dipstick decided to dump there pick up truck bedliner on a trail along the Knik. Me, being a responsible type perso, hooked a rope around and towed it home. A few minutes of work with a jigsaw and Viola' A free bedliner. I can now haul firewood, gravel, horse manure, etc without having to worry about messing up the bed. It is also Ford tough.
    IMG_3355.jpg

I am a utility minded kinda guy. The plastic top just wasn't gonna work for me. Had some 3/16 aluminum bent to make a UTV utility roof. I need something that I could tie dipnets, hunting gear, dead animals, etc. to. My wife thinks it looks kinda "Flintstone-ish" and she does like the idea of keeping the weather off her head.
    Attachment 74982
    IMG_3382.jpg
    IMG_3388.jpg

I decided to make the roof in two pieces for ease of building and installing.
    Attachment 74985
    IMG_3390.jpg

The front mount utilizing pieces of an old snowmachine belt as a rubber spacer.
    Attachment 74987

A design flaw from Honda is the lack of a full skid plate. There is one that covers only the very center protecting the engine, etc. There are two tubes on each side that are uncovered. These tubes work EXACTLY like big freakin anchors in the mud and grass and bushes...
    Attachment 74988
    The cure is a Free Craigslist find. picked up another pickup truck liner. Using a combination of skilsaw, jigsaw and MAP torch to cut, heat and shape. This covers the tubes and hopefully keep my back from aching from to much shoveling, digging, cutting of said mud, grass, bushes...
    IMG_3437.jpg

Attachment 74992
    The front CV boots will be protected by leftover pieces of the bedliner.

The next mod will be a big winch that I can mount on the front or rear depending on which way I need to go.

Mark

I like the "flintstone" roof but just a little warning. One of the guys at our moose camp this fall had a similar roof and rolled his rig on it's side, he stuck his hand out to arrest his fall and the edge of his aluminum roof cut off his little finger and damaged a couple others. Maybe a piece of pipe welded around the perimeter would be a good idea.

I sure would appreciate an updated test ride report.
    How is the noise level and is the noise from the exhaust or running gear? A friend reported the Viking is obnoxiously loud.
    How is the power and gearing? Do you have enough power or do you wish for lower gearing?
    Is the 3 speed tranny good for the machines intended use or do you really need low range or more gears.
    Are you liking the tranny compared to the CVTs?
    Any suspension issues so far?
    My intended use would be just as advertised with a mix of work and rec but also snow plowing.
    Thanks for the info so far and please keep it coming.

Awesome!! I will be following this thread very closely
    "f/64 and be there"

The Pioneer comes with nifty safety nets on the front and rear. If they are latched properly then it would be hard, but not impossible, to get your hand outside. The sound isn't too bad but you do have to talk loud to somebody riding up front. It could be quieter. The aluminum roof probably acts as an echo chamber. I think most of the noise is exhaust. The transmission actually works very well and I can't see a need for lower gearing even while pulling logs out of the woods. The suspension rides very good and does not bottom out even while hauling a bed full of landscape bricks. CVTs work great on sleds. I'll take a regular transmission for the Pioneer any day. The only thing I would like is a little more engine braking while descending steep hills. It does ok but it would be nice not to have to use the brakes as much. Top speed that I have seen is 42 mph.

Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast