Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First goat success

Default First goat success

Well arrived in Kodiak last Friday to go out on a goat hunt. A hunt that has been in the making now for 3 years. Tried to fly out of Kodiak to the location of the hunt via sea hawk air(nice people) on Friday but got weathered in. Was able to fly out on sat early morning and started the long hike in and up the mountain to establish base camp. The following day had spotted some goats that we had decided to go after, one of which that probably had 10 inches and really wide bases. Watched the big goat for a couple hours hoping that he would come down from the cliffs. He never made the journey down during the day time. Later that day we had seen some goats that had been spooked about 1.5miles away. The goats, a nanny and two kids where running straight towards the mountain that me and my hunting partner where on. After watching them for a few minutes we noticed that they had a nice size billy hot on there tracks. We ran down the mountain peak and got into position just above a heavily traveled game trail that the goats had been using, hoping that they would walk straight on it. The goats where walking straight to us, the plan was working. The wind was blowing roughly 40 mph and we where upwind from them. The goats appeared right 250 yards and the billy presented me with a clear shot, a shot that would have been easy to make if it wasn't for the wind. I decided to wait and not take the shot and hope that we could close to distance to less than 100 yards due to the wind. The goats would be disappearing out of sight here soon as they would be going behind a knoll. When they did this we had decided to slide down the mountain on our butts(fasts way down to them) close the distance. As soon as we stopped sliding the nanny and kids walk out, hunting partner tells me the yardage, 78 yards. Man the billy was coming, finally I see him. I had to wait for a clear shot due to the angle of the shot(didn't want to shoot the ground), partner tells me the yardage again 79 yards. Finally the billy is in the opening, I shoot once, the billy rolls over once and is done. Didn't harvest the big billy that I was after but got a nice 6 yr old billy with 9.25" horns still with the tips. Don't remember the base sizes. Over the following week, the hunting party I was with harvested another goat and two deer. Man, what an experience that was. Sorry about the grammer I am not very good at writing storriesgoat.jpg

Very nice coat of hair. You should be very proud of your trophy. Congrats.

That is a huge body and impressive set of horns on that trophy! Well done

What a great goat! Congrats on your successful hunt! Thanks for sharing.
    "Grin and Bear It"

what an amazing trophy. For me, the real trophy on a goat is that big body and fuzzy hide. Is there really a difference between 9.25 and 9.75 inch horns?
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

beautiful animal!!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Nicely done! You got a great looking goat. Will you do a shoulder mount, rug, just tan the hide, or ?

That goat is epic. Thanks for posting the pic and story.

That is one of the most beautiful goats I have ever seen!!!

Congrats Sir!!

Awesome! Great story and beautiful goat. Congrats.

Awesome job on your goat and a great looking hide on him!

Thank you for all the compliment. As this was my first goat I was surprised that they had such a thick coat and also there was a lot of fat on the goats that we had taken. I was torn between doing a pedestal or a shoulder mount. Decided to go with a shoulder mount as my house is really small

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    what an amazing trophy. For me, the real trophy on a goat is that big body and fuzzy hide. Is there really a difference between 9.25 and 9.75 inch horns?
    There is a big difference, small margins are what separates the average billies from the trophies. An 8" to 9.25" Is a good billy but when you hit upper 9 and 10 class billies you are talking trophy status!

Awesome, that looks like a great hide. What a difference a few weeks makes with hair length.

Awsome looking goat, congrats! Just beautiful .

Quote Originally Posted by iyouktug View Post
    There is a big difference, small margins are what separates the average billies from the trophies. An 8" to 9.25" Is a good billy but when you hit upper 9 and 10 class billies you are talking trophy status!
    Not to hijack a great thead and awesome goat. But my point is, for me personally, an inch difference in horns doesn't separate a good billy from a "trophy". My trophy is a big body goat with an amazing coat. Like the one this guy shot.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

That's a beautiful goat! Much better looking hair than the ones we took a month ago. That looks like a really solid billy if you ask me!

Congrats! Nice billy.
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

Nice goat, that sounds like a fun hunt. A one shot goat is a trophy in itself. What were you shooting if you don't mind?
    Alpine is awesome...

That is one nice billy. Congrats.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast