Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Bear Skulls....forgot I had these!

Default Black Bear Skulls....forgot I had these!

Was at my Mothers house earlier this year digging around is some stuff, found a box of six black bear skulls, asked her whats this? she said those are yours, you left over here years ago!...hmmm... I kinda remember that!...so I took them home, was bored one day so scored all six, hung 5 up in my shop and my wife wanted a skull candle holder!....the smallest was 20-0/16 and the biggest 20-14/16....thinking there's 5 skulls in the house over 21!...found a box of mtn lions skulls at Moms too, from back in the day when my Brother and I had hounds in Idaho!...grin

"Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

Quote Originally Posted by ramhunter View Post
    ...my wife wanted a skull candle holder!....

Just in time for Halloween!
    "Grin and Bear It"

Are those Idaho bear skulls? 20 in. skulls are pretty big.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Are those Idaho bear skulls? 20 in. skulls are pretty big.
    Alaska...Kuiu, Kupreanof, and POW Islands

Pretty cool ramhunter! Looks like you've forgotten about bears bigger than a lot of guys ever kill. I'll bet there weren't any mickey mouse ears on those big uns!

Thats one heck of a collection of nice bears!

Those skulls are alot wider than what you see now days,very nice.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Oh yeah I have just some B&C bears in a box in my crawl space...no biggie Very impressive collection sir. Can you scan some pics of you with them while they were still on the paw or hear some back stories on them??

Of course GPS cords to the kill locations are accepted via PM.

Thanks again for sharing!

Dinks and rats.

That's a very impressive collection. I'm just across Clarence Strait if your willing to share. I've got one big boy from Kuiu. Now POW, Etolin, Revi. Ect...... So little time, so many bears. I'm still wondering what the going rate for a green bear hide is now days, now that it's legal to sell them?
    It's a good time hunting them but a guy only needs so many of those things around. Who's buying?

Nice bears!
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Oh yeah I have just some B&C bears in a box in my crawl space...no biggie Very impressive collection sir. Can you scan some pics of you with them while they were still on the paw or hear some back stories on them??

Of course GPS cords to the kill locations are accepted via PM.

Thanks again for sharing!
    I don't have access to all my pictures at work, but I have a few on a thumb drive.....so you want to hear some black bear hunting stories AK Lanche?...here you goÖgrin
    Bear hunting in Southeast Alaska is not what it was...you can trust me on that, My brother and I moved to Kake in 1988, we were timber fallers and took a job there cutting for a logging company, we were already bear hunting nuts, coming from Northern Idaho we had never seen so many monster black bears and lots of them with no hunting pressure. We first hunted on the road system out of Kake as we didnít have a boat, after a year or so we got a 16 ft. Lund boat and started hunting Kuiu Island, Security Cove, Saginaw Bay, and Port Camden (man there were some hogs in Port Camden back thenÖgrin) and running down Rocky Pass as far as Threemile Arm, and No Name Bay (Hogs down there too) on the weekends, staying at USFS cabins at Big John Bay and Devils Elbow.
    It wasnít uncommon to see 20-25 bears on a good night!....none hunted bears harder, longer than my brother and I did back then!...In 1993 we moved to Craig on POW, we saw more bears at Kake/kuiu, but more bigger bears on POW as far as skull size. By far the best way to hunt those Island bears is by boat, and right at dark, we didnít go hunting till about ďdark-thirtyĒ 6:30pm till dark, many times we saw other hunters coming in, when we were heading out, my brother would just look at me and say..ĒperfectĒ. We would run way out from shore, like a half mile, if we saw a bear we would glass it, if it was small we kept moving, if the next bear looked good, we watched the wind and slowly motored in for a closer look, once we figured it maybe a shooter we went down wind onto the beach, hopefully behind a point or something that breaks the bears view of the boat, theses can hear and see better than you think! Sometimes they were still on the beach, and sometimes they were not after we made the stock from the boat on foot!.....thatís hunting right! Some nights we may see 5 hogs bears, other nights we saw none! Best time was a low tide about 6:00 pm, that incoming tide and no worries about the boat going high-n-dry was perfect! Other times with the outgoing tides, one person might have to stay at the boat, you didnít have a lot of time messing around with anchoring up the boat, you had the move on these hogs, because sometimes they were not out on the beach very long!
    Now, I hate to hurt some feelers, but these guys talking about shooting bears from a boat in PWS, or used too, if you want a hog black bear, you chances are you ainít going to get one from a boat or close from a boat! (I said Chances are!...not staying it hasnít been done!...just show me a 21Ē plus bear shot for the boat!) If your goal is to shoot rats, micky mouse eared bears, then keep motoring up close to bears on the beach and get ya some, Iíve seen many, many monster Black bears hear a boat a half mile away and head in for brush, never to be seen again that year!...fact, you burn a monster blackie, chances are heís done with that beach for a long timeÖ.theses big boys a smart and old, not their first day out dealing with hunters! Trust me we, we have found out the hard way by getting to close and burning big boys. Of all the big black bears Iíve seen killed, which is over 10 with 21 plus inch skulls, the biggest 22-2/16, I seen way more get away, waaayyy more! Iíve seen bears on POW that would blow your mind! And yes weíve killed 8í black bears!
    I donít talk too much about the big bears we hunted/killed, or even debate how to hunt them. Iím not much into talk, Iím more about, show me what you done!...Thereís an old staying in the trapping world ď if you canít catch a 100 foxes, how you going to teach me how to catch 200 foxes?Ē kinda goes with hunting too!....grin
    My biggest bears that Iíve killed areÖ 20 15/16 B&C (entered in book), 21 2/16 B&C (POW not entered), 21 5/16 B&C (Kuiu Is. in book), 21 5/16 (POW Is. in book), 21/716 (Kupreanof Is. entered in book), 21 9/16 ( POW Is. entered in book) thinking I have the most Black Bears entered in all-time B&C, maybe not tho?.....My wife has one 21 2/16 (POW Is. not entered, I think itís 21/216, it may be 21/3/16 donít remember) My brother has two over 21, thinking they were 21 6/16 and 21 1/16 neither entered in B&C, one from Port Camden on Kuiu ( which he wounded on the beach with first shot, and we tracked him into the brush, ended charging us, and my brother killed him at 10 feet with his 300 WBY and a 165gr ďxĒ bullet, that was close!...lol), The other one he got in Calder Bay, POW, we saw 4 big bears that night in the head Calder Bay on the tide flat, all out at once and few rats too, all 4 looked the same size, so my Brother shot the closest bear, which was 21 1/16, the next day I shot a hog which went 21 5/16 near Blanquizal Point on the way back to Craig!...that was bear hunting on POW back in the early 90ís my friends! Another buddy has one that went 21 10/16 (POW, never entered in book, well I donít think, this one was wounded with a 300 WBY and got in to the brush at almost dark!....We went in after him with flashlights, thinking he was dead!...he wasnít, we found him about 200 yds in off the beach, fully alive and working on a pretty good mad, buddy finished him at 15 feetÖfun times!) Watched another hunting buddy shoot two over 21, all on POW, The biggest bear we got was 22 2/16 ( POW Is. never entered in book, this bear was killed by the son, of one of our good friends from Idaho, my brother and I both had video cameras running at the time, this bear was shot at 50 yds!....we parked the boat about a ľ mile away, and made the stock on foot!
    Iíve moved on to Wasilla now for a few years now!....POW still has some little hidden spots that produce hogs, but not like it once did!...please donít ask me where, I have good friends who live there and hunt them spots each year and getting some hogs too!
    You want pictures too!...OK

POW, the Point Blanquizal bear 21 5/16

Brother's Charging Port Camden bear

My Kuiu 21 5/16, Security Cove

Kupreanof Is. bear 21 7/16, hanging at logging shop in Kake.

Wife's POW is. 21 2/16 Klwock Lake, old clear cut!

POW Booner...note where the ears are!.....no micky mouse here!

Kake bear, my buddy shot, thinking it was 20.5'' skull

Another Kupreanof Is. bear, Rocky Pass, thinking this bear was high 20's, maybe one of those skulls from the box at Moms, was his! (notes ears!)

Buddy, my Brother, and I with another Kake bear...

POW Is. 21 9/16, this bear is life-sized!....huge body on this boy!

Well that's all the pictures I have here at work, sorry most the pictures are poor, as most were taken as slides, and transferring to where I can post them loses a lot quality...........

Quote Originally Posted by High Country View Post
    Dinks and rats.
    LOL...I know most of them still had milk on their lips!....

Ramhunter,
    Pretty nice colletion of big bears. Thanks for sharing.
    BK

Wow!!! Thanks for sharing....some extremely fine bears for sure!!! That last one you said you got life sized...HUGE!!!

Some great memories there for sure!

Ramhunter, I too lived on PW island in the early " 80" s and got a bear or two and a few nice bucks while living in a logging camp for Steve Seally but I sure wished I could of ran into you guys and really learned a few things about bear hunting. Amazing skulls and pics . Thanks for the photos and yes I'm envious! Ron.

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    It's a good time hunting them but a guy only needs so many of those things around. Who's buying?
    www.taxidermy.net
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast