Thread: Inner Lake George Goat

Default Inner Lake George Goat

Hello all,

I am looking into hunting Inner Lake George in the future and had a few questions regarding the area -

Do hunters typically hunt the east or west side of the lake? And for what reasons?

How difficult is it to operate out of a base camp at Lake George? Or do you spike each night?

Spotting scope - Do you leave yours in camp and use binos up the mountain or bring both optics with you?

I have spent a lot of time in the Chugach Range and have my gear list just about nailed down along with a healthy respect for the danger they present - Definitely not underestimating the difficulty of this area, just trying to gather as much information as possible before dropping a good chunk of money on a flight.

Thank you for taking time to read this and any tips/suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Track1202 View Post
    Hello all,

I am looking into hunting Inner Lake George in the future and had a few questions regarding the area -

Do hunters typically hunt the east or west side of the lake? And for what reasons?

How difficult is it to operate out of a base camp at Lake George? Or do you spike each night?

Spotting scope - Do you leave yours in camp and use binos up the mountain or bring both optics with you?

I have spent a lot of time in the Chugach Range and have my gear list just about nailed down along with a healthy respect for the danger they present - Definitely not underestimating the difficulty of this area, just trying to gather as much information as possible before dropping a good chunk of money on a flight.

Thank you for taking time to read this and any tips/suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
    Check out this string...http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-Gvnmt-reopens, you won't be flown in there until this is resolved.

Which federal agency manages Lake George? I thought it was outside the federal boundaries, but have spent very little time around there.
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Hamon View Post
    Which federal agency manages Lake George? I thought it was outside the federal boundaries, but have spent very little time around there.
    x2?

Its way outside the Chugach National Forest boundary.

Are you referring to Whiteout lake.......???

I might have seen an EO about Lake George goat hunting recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy82Hoyt View Post
    I might have seen an EO about Lake George goat hunting recently.
    The only EO I have seen was for the non-resident hunt.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ap...s/02-02-12.pdf

Lake George is outside of the Chugach park boundary

Just to clarify, Chugach State Park is not federal land either, so there should be no concern about its status. Chugach National Forest is federal, so the discussion in the other thread may relate to those lands. But as far as I can tell, Lake George is not in Chugach NF. I don't know the state park boundaries.
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

Yup that was it non-resident. I couldnt remember anything about it, just that I had seen it.

You're all correct... my fault, and I apologize to the OP. I confused state and federal land. Now if only I had info to share with Track1202.

You can base off the lake there are good goat numbers right on the south side. Used to be a canoe on the eastern shore. To leave the lake and go north you'll need a raft or something toget to troublesome creek. A lot of solar factor country out there but a good number of goats. Taken two outa there and seen probably 40 or so on each two day hunt. Have a couple plans and fly in and take a buzz around, them decide what you like. A lot of blackies back there too!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

It's all good - I appreciate you guys looking out for me... I was not aware of the closure for the rest of the parks, could have been an issue had I gone with my backup plan!

BRWNBR - Thanks for the solid info.. Difficult to really find people that have been back in that area and are willing to give up knowledge

I meant splat factor not solar....lol auto correct. The area is no secret, you 'll see other hunters out there. Just be tougher than them and you'll be fine.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Hunted that area many times many years ago and like BrnBr said there use to be a good population of goats on the right or south side and a fairly good strip on the right as you approach the lake. The creek can be crossed on foot if you cross where it spreads out and we would base camp on the strip and take a spike camp up the hill after spotting goats from down below.Leave your spotting at base camp and do have a black bear tag with. Good luck, Ron.