Thread: Palmer side of Hatcher Pass

Default Palmer side of Hatcher Pass

Can you hunt the Palmer side of Hatcher pass? I know you have to be 1/4 of a mile from the roads. We were up there this weekend and I would really like to try some small game hunting up there but was just unsure if it was open to hunting. I think the area around Independence mine is closed but what about everywhere else?

Quote Originally Posted by daldrupjm View Post
    Can you hunt the Palmer side of Hatcher pass? I know you have to be 1/4 of a mile from the roads. We were up there this weekend and I would really like to try some small game hunting up there but was just unsure if it was open to hunting. I think the area around Independence mine is closed but what about everywhere else?
    It's fair game once you are 1/4 mile from the road like you said.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    It's fair game once you are 1/4 mile from the road like you said.
    Does that mean 1/4 mile UP?

Nope, 1/4 mile from the rode. Take a GPS if you're unsure and do a straight line from were you are to the road. You can usually find one of the rangers over there and talk to him/her and get their take on it.

It will take some doing to get 1/4 mile from any road. I'm sure the definition of a 'road' is pretty broad in the eyes of any ranger or F&G.\

1/4 mi is about 440 yards - not that difficult or time consuming except for alders, devils club, etc. etc...

I have never seen the distance measurement spelled out in regulation. Does anyone have a link? I have a range finder that will precisely measure out to well over 1/4 mile. I wouldn't want to be the one to lay my money on the line to fight it but without a statutory definition I have a hard time believing that 1/4 mile straight line wasn't 1/4 mile.

A friend and I did some moose hunting there about 6 years ago. We'd been watching a forked horn for a few days, a park ranger stopped by the truck on day two to see what we were up to. After pointing out the moose, he was very specific on were it was legal for us to start shooting. We waited until the moose was past the landmarks that was pointed out to us by him and proceeded to march out and kill the little fella. The walk was just over 3/4 mile but straight line on the GPS to the rode was just over 1/4 mile. The ranger was really nice and in no way "mater of fact" acting, he actually pointed us to a good trail to access this small bull. They are not there to nail you, his main concern was shooting too close to the road and having a lot of unwanted eyes on us while cleaning it. Just remember, that area is a multi-use area and if you happen to run into one of the folks from the "other side" and you are not 1/4 mile or further off the road, they will be making a call. Again, un wanted attention. Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I have never seen the distance measurement spelled out in regulation. Does anyone have a link? I have a range finder that will precisely measure out to well over 1/4 mile. I wouldn't want to be the one to lay my money on the line to fight it but without a statutory definition I have a hard time believing that 1/4 mile straight line wasn't 1/4 mile.
    I have never see it in the hunting regs. But it is up on the DNR website. The reasoning is because of the large volume of people and vehicles traveling thru the area. Guess they don't trust people to use gun safety ie... assuring muzzle is pointed in a safe direction and when you discharge the weapon that you know what is beyond your target. http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/ha...atcherpass.htm
    Jesse
    HR SHR JR's Gunny Dog "Ermey"
    SR JR's Marsh Mangling Mindy
    SR JR's LNR Thicket Thrashing Trixie

1/4 is pretty close to the road for rifle use. I think they know people are going to be people. Not everyone is as conscientious as they should be when it comes to gun safety. Chaney??? LOL