Thread: Old contraption

Default Old contraption

Found this in the woods. Some kind of old homemade gold dredge. It uses an external power source connected by a belt. We cleaned the brush around it and snapped a few pictures. Always cool to find this stuff.

Curious as to how they manipulated it. Or did they feed into it. Did they leave any gold? No sign of mining around where I found it.

Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

That is cool kinda like a miniature version of one of the old bucket line dredges.
    I wonder how much power it had and how you would steer it and control the depth?
    Thanks for posting the pics.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Doesn't look like it was used for digging, there's no hard weld on the lips of the buckets and no sign of wear.
    Very cool.

Just a guess but for lifting water up out of a hole because no pump was available like the old bucket systems on a waterwheel.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

You're right, it wasn't for digging. Lifting water sounds plausible. Throttle up! Waters rising!
    Got me thinking...if not water, then maybe they were hand feeding material into it. Either to get it out of a hole or to get it up onto a sluice. Or maybe it was at the bottom of a grizzly, funneled onto the rotating chain.
    I'll go back this winter when I can see thru the trees better. Gotta be something else laying around.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Looks like a low lift pumping device. You can pull water from a point source or stream into a storage container. Water Ladder is what I know devices like this as.

I doubt seriously its a mining device. A week on any decent dig and you would not have found it in this condition.

I'd be curious to know if you can locate a point or spring nearby when you go back, or anything that looks like it could have held a large volume of water at some time lying rotting in the area.

Super cool find.

Very cool. I've seen similar shaped scoops used as a sand elevator on bucket dredges. It brought fines from the sluices onto the stacker. In any case it's very cool. If I had found it, it would probably be in my front yard!

Quote Originally Posted by outnaboutnak View Post
    If I had found it, it would probably be in my front yard!
    I was gonna say...... The wife would have flowers all over it...!!!......lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

The thing sits about 100 yards off of the Theodore River. There are still old timers in the area that keep their claims active.

The mining history in the area is very interesting. The Russians brought a huge gold dredge all the way from Siberia in the early 1900s. They started it up the Beluga River and got about 5 miles up from the inlet. Then the ice went out on Strandline Lake and destroyed it. When that ice goes out, the Beluga rises 20' in an hour.
    I wondered for years how all this twisted metal got to be scattered along the gravel bars. Then an old timer gave me his old assay reports and I read about the Russians. Very cool history.

The old assay report listed some nice sized rubies in it. I went to that spot and found old equipment. There was also newer equipment there. Nothing looked current, but new enough not to mess with. I need to get a 2" dredge and take it fishing one summer.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

I never did figure out where the Russians were heading. They must have found some decent color to spend all that time and assets on a chance.

It'd be neat to find the old company archives and see where they were going with the dredge. Too many salmon in the river for that to ever happen now. But a midnight outlaw dredger might make wages. }:>
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Bull, thanks for sharing that information. I've never heard of a dredge going in in that area, but its been reported that drilling was done in the early days.