Thread: Black Bear fat, use it or trim it?

Default Black Bear fat, use it or trim it?

Well after climbing three mountains in September in pursuit of blackies only to have them disappear at the top, I was finally able to connect on my fourth try. Just a medium sized sow but I was in it as much for the meat as the trophy. She was definitely fattening up for winter and had a couple inches of fat on her. My couple previous bears I've trimmed off all the fat because I've heard it was no good. Before I toss all the fat I thought I'd get some opinions.

Anyone using the fat? Or is it as gamy as I've heard?

Default Bears

Save it, render it, jar it, use it. Or take it to mat valley or pioneer meats and have them mix it in with the meat for some summer sausage

Quote Originally Posted by iyouktug View Post
    Save it, render it, jar it, use it.

Bear lard is the best shortening in the world! You should treat that fat with the same care you do the rest of the meat you intend to eat.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post

Bear lard is the best shortening in the world! You should treat that fat with the same care you do the rest of the meat you intend to eat.
    Couldn't agree more......excellent stuff and easy to render.
    BK

Better than butter.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Save the fat, process it and use it for cooking. An old timer that I used to run a round with made the BEST pies and cookies using bear fat. Do not waste it!!!!!

When rendered, it is clear as gin and odorless. It truly makes the very best donuts. Can't be beat for cooking, period.

Thanks everyone. I have a gallon ziplock bag full that I'll render down. Also have a decent amount still on the meat that I'll grind in.

Best homemade donuts I've ever had (and I've had lots) were fried in bear lard. Like they had been cooked in butter, they tasted so good. The same family adds a little salt to some of their bear lard, then puts it on the table rather than butter. Better than any butter you ever had on anything you'd normally put butter on.