Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S&W 500mag 4" holster?? And ammo??

Question S&W 500mag 4" holster?? And ammo??

Anybody find a good holster that fits this model in nylon/synthetic material??? I would like a hip, or vertical shoulder holster. Any model numbers would be great.

Also, which Ammo is best for keeping claws and teeth out of ones tush??? How many grain, brand??

Thanks

Here is a good website for holsters along the lines of what you are looking for...
    http://www.alaskasportsmanproducts.com/

I reload 450gr Hardcast for my 4 inch model. About the best you can do in over the counter is the Corbon 440gr hardcasts....at 33 bucks a box (12 per box).

Default Expensive toy

Quote Originally Posted by KirovPDR View Post
    Here is a good website for holsters along the lines of what you are looking for...
    http://www.alaskasportsmanproducts.com/

I reload 450gr Hardcast for my 4 inch model. About the best you can do in over the counter is the Corbon 440gr hardcasts....at 33 bucks a box (12 per box).
    I got mine in the other night. Then I regretted buying it, but then I heard the news about the photographer in Yellowstone getting his face ripped up by a Griz sow on Wednesday, and then I was back to being glad to have it..

Uncle MIkes makes one for it, but they are out of stock till September.. I told them tonight that I was going on a trip and needed one ASAP!! we shall see how good thier customer service really is... That holster, or something very similar is being offered in the Uncle Mikes catalog as well.. Hmmm?? Wonder who developed that one???

OK, you like the Corbon,, I think the price you are paying is in ALASKAN dollars.. Cabellas is backordered, but check out their low priced 500swmag ammo.. Not bad at under two bucks a round..

What do you like about the Corbon ammo? I can get it down here for a few bucks cheaper. Sure, I could reload for this weapon because I am not going after two legged vermin.. So, the liability clause probably won't come into play.

Regards

I have the alaskasportsmans chest holster for my 44 mag and love it. I have used hip holsters and shoulder holsters so far to date. The sportsmans holster fits me like a glove, it's easy to put on, and is in a completely different league than any other holster I have used.

Default 500 holster

Take a look at this one. I don't have one but I asked and they make one for your gun. http://www.wwlholsters.com/Default.asp

DAG

Smile

If you do not reload check these guys out .
    Bill Bramlett is a great guy to deal with and his ammo is top notch .

RR

WWW.BALLISTICSUPPLY.NET
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Default Good tip, thanks

As a matter of fact, that website will be forwarded to Uncle Mike, and DeSantis gun leather. Both of those companies need to fire their web design people.. As far as the holster goes, it isn't cheap.

I am considering the Alaskan Rig because it will fit within my waders, I think. A hip mount won't do me much good..

Quote Originally Posted by DAG460 View Post
    Take a look at this one. I don't have one but I asked and they make one for your gun. http://www.wwlholsters.com/Default.asp

DAG

Default Good tip. I bookmarked their site.

I like that one, "if it has fur or fangs"

Quote Originally Posted by RANGER RICK View Post
    If you do not reload check these guys out .
    Bill Bramlett is a great guy to deal with and his ammo is top notch .

RR

WWW.BALLISTICSUPPLY.NET

Thumbs up Idaho Leather Co.

I have purchased numerous Cordura holsters from this guy for my pistols. He makes a good product at a very reasonable price. He also does custom work without crazy custom prices. I had him leave may last few holsters open at the muzzle so leaves and twigs would not accumulate and leave unwanted scuff marks on the pistols muzzle. He lines his holsters with suede to keep the carry marks to a minimum.
    I think this link should take you to his holster page.

http://groups.msn.com/IdahoLeatherCo...oto&PhotoID=39

hope this is helpful info for you.

jimmer

Default Got my answer from Uncle Mikes

paraphrased: "They ain't made, and you ain't gettin one till the fall of 07.)" Even though you would think they are already available if you look at the 07 catalog..

All right then,, I guess we have to keep searching. I will check out the last link to see what they have..

By the way,, Hoppes, Bushnell, Uncle Mikes should be listening... Your bigger is better buyout mentality will be your downfall...So far, the consortium's credentials, need some polishing..

Visit S&W's site. They offer many different styles of holsters and the prices are very reasonable.
    Tennessee

Default GrizzlyTuff.com

We build these here in the Valley & sell them at Chimo Guns and direct.
    Rob

That Rob fellow is sure nice to talk to on the phone and a great help with holsters. Here is the link.http://www.simplyrugged.com/grizzly_...ear/index.html

Default Ammo preference

I picked up three boxes of SW500 mags.. 350gr XTP magnum Hornady, 500gr FP XTP Hornady, and Federal 275gr Barnes Expander.. Of these three, which one box would you bring for fang and fur control??

(*** was I thinking when I bought this thing? The rounds are EXPEN$IVE!!)

Also,, looks like the only place one could justify carrying this thing would be either Alaska or Africa.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Joefishin View Post
    I picked up three boxes of SW500 mags.. 350gr XTP magnum Hornady, 500gr FP XTP Hornady, and Federal 275gr Barnes Expander.. Of these three, which one box would you bring for fang and fur control??

(*** was I thinking when I bought this thing? The rounds are EXPEN$IVE!!)

Also,, looks like the only place one could justify carrying this thing would be either Alaska or Africa.

Try the 500gr FP XTP Hornady and if they do not work well try one of the others for the next encounter !!!!!!!

I agree it is one of the most expensive rounds one could buy for a revolver.
    Save your pennies and get into reloading or ask a friend to reload for you !!

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Default Going to give it a try, I hope today

Quote Originally Posted by RANGER RICK View Post
    Try the 500gr FP XTP Hornady and if they do not work well try one of the others for the next encounter !!!!!!!

I agree it is one of the most expensive rounds one could buy for a revolver.
    Save your pennies and get into reloading or ask a friend to reload for you !!

RR
    I am off to the range, and to the airport. Wont to make sure I know what case to bring for check in.. Will try a couple of each round and give a report later. Thanksl

Default Dave Johnston

Check here for a great holster for your gun www.daivdjohnstonleather.com

Default Bad link!

Quote Originally Posted by DeadWolf View Post
    Check here for a great holster for your gun www.daivdjohnstonleather.com
    IT is ok, I got a holster from S&W direct. I guess DeSantis is making them for Smith only???,, But, it will do. Only going to be wearing it for the few days I am not with a charter.. But, it will be there.

From what I gather, Uncle Mikes of Oregon is now Uncle Mikes of Saigon.. The holsters are being made in Vietnam.. Fine, those people need jobs, and now we have people in Oregon that need jobs too.. Screw Bushnell, and screw Uncle Mikes. Seems to me there is something shady about the investment group behind this transaction.

Default Range tested and ready for????

I test fired my new 4" Smith 500 mag. Not bad. You know you have something when it goes bang!! But, it isn't unreasonable for the size of round it spitz out. I tried the Federal 275gr hollows, they shot low. I then tried the Hornady 500gr lead jacketed flat faced.. They shot high and gave a good kick, but again, still not that bad. The Hornady 350gr hollows also were good shooters and seemed to shoot flat. So, it was about 40 rounds later, and $85 debited from supplies, that I figured the groups were fine and that I am happy with the choice. Even shooting DA wasn't too bad. It isn't a pin gun with a light trigger pull so you will have to put some effort into getting that cylinder to spin!

IT is ok, I got a holster from S&W direct. I guess DeSantis is making them for Smith only???,, But, it will do. Only going to be wearing it for the few days I am not with a charter.. But, it will be there.

From what I gather, Uncle Mikes of Oregon is now Uncle Mikes of Saigon.. The holsters are being made in Vietnam.. Fine, those people need jobs, and now we have people in Oregon that need jobs too.. Screw Bushnell, and screw Uncle Mikes. Seems to me there is something shady about the investment group behind this transaction.

Default Range tested and ready for????

I test fired my new 4" Smith 500 mag. Not bad. You know you have something when it goes bang!! But, it isn't unreasonable for the size of round it spitz out. I tried the Federal 275gr hollows, they shot low. I then tried the Hornady 500gr lead jacketed flat faced.. They shot high and gave a good kick, but again, still not that bad. The Hornady 350gr hollows also were good shooters and seemed to shoot flat. So, it was about 40 rounds later, and $85 poorer, that I figured the groups were fine and that I am happy with the choice. Even shooting DA wasn't too bad. It isn't a pin gun with a light trigger pull so you will have to put some effort into getting that cylinder to spin!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast