Thread: Rusty old revolver

Default Rusty old revolver

Hey all, my dad recently got a rusty old H&R revolver from a coworker who had just had the thing hanging on a nail in his basement for the last 30 years or so. Anyways, I know the gun isn't worth anything but appears it will still function. Its a 32 S&W long. Take a look at the pictures, is there anything I can do to clean it up a little and stop further corrosion? I am going to see dad next week and told him I'll try and scrub it down with steel wool and oil but I know its too far gone to look good. He just likes tinkering and thought it would be neat to have as a beater to shoot at pop cans now and again.

hr4.jpghr2.jpg

I'd sand blast it and parkerize it. that looks like way too deep rust to try to polish out.

Don't take the innards out of it whatever you do, those guns have some really fragile and easily kinked springs in them, and once they're bent they'll rarely work again. I'm sure that the factory assemblers used special jigs to get them together in one piece. I've fought with some of them for hours upon hours to get it to work again and finally decided that it's not worth it and now turn them away when they come in the shop.

Excellent advice!

First thing I'd do is peer down the bore. If it's anything like the hammer and frame, I'd fuggedabout shooting ambitions. Just not worth all the effort to clean up the exterior and turn out a nice looking pig. In that case I'd hork the rust off the exterior with a succession of sandpaper grits, smear it with cold blue, oil it good and hang it back up. If the bore is great, then yeah. I'd forget the horking, but carefully use the same sandpaper and cold blue to stabilize things, then go to shooting.

Sorry, Kid, I respectfully disagree. I have a small one man part time gunsmith shop and I'd gladly take it on. My overhead is almost none and I have too much experience with these guns. Typically the hammer strut breaks (plastic) or the trigger return spring rusts up. The other major issue I recall is the cylinder stop rusts up. If I was ina big shop then yes, I'd turn them away because of profit margin and overhead costs.

Schmiddty, if you're interested shoot me a PM.

Thanks for the advice guys! BrownBear I was actually thinking in my head exactly what you described. I just needed a little reassurance I guess. I'll give it a go once I get up to see dad and his gun and I'll update any progress I make.

COLD BLUE STINKS...! Check the bore and function, clean it up, if it's shootable fire a few rounds. To refinnish simply degrease and spray with DuraCoat and seal. If you wish you could bead blast the exterior and then refinish.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !